Ebay Services?

Hi! So I have a woman claiming something called "ebay services" will deal with giving me a test period with a car im looking to buy. Does such a thing exist? She claims to be unable to be present during this process, and needs my address to send the car over for the supposed test trial. Im a little skeptical already, as the car is at a great deal and this person is supposedly to be deployed and therefore wants to get rid of the car. I read that these things can be red flags. But if not, I may be getting a steal. Please let me know!
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ebay Services?

You left out a few details --

1) is this for a listing on ebay motors?  -- if not, scam

2) money or deposit up front (and not paid through ebay/paypal)? -- if yes, scam

3) is a cost of delivery given? -- if not, then probable scam

4) a steal of a deal is probably one to steal from you

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Buying-Selling-Basics/need-help-is-there-a-military-car-scam-h...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Ebay Services?

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @notorious13  - 

Please, please, please,  do not give this individual any money. 

Hallmarks of a common scam using eBay's name for cars:

A 'servicemember is about to be deployed'. Often self described as a god-fearing, christian soldier, they have to leave the country soon and so are selling their 50 thousand dollar vehicle for 1200. As long as you pay in essentially untraceable gift cards sent via email. 

Parents who have 'just lost a child' and need to liquidate the child's car. They play on your grief to get money from you. They promise that 'eBay vehicle protection' will put money 'in an account' and you can take ownership of the vehicle for up to 30 days before you pay. 

A legitimate eBay Motors ad will be listed on eBay Motors (that web address that @ypdc_dennis gave you). If you found it on a different website it is not valid.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Ebay Services?

SCAM

• needs my address

Your address is in the Paypal payment. Don't pay.

• this person is supposedly to be deployed

Classic scammer claim.

• she

Isn't a "she".

Report the listing to the site where you found it. (AutoTrader, CraigsList?) They have been trying for decades to get rid of these crooks, but they just keep popping up.

Thanks for asking.  The reason that these scams work, is that most people are too dumb to ask questions. You asked.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply