sellers using other accounts to increase bids

there is a seller on ebay motors who uses other accounts to inlate price.I confronted this seller on this as I was bidding on one of there vehicles.This is a car dealership in florida.When I confronted this seller I was blocked from bidding.If you look at bids on all the other cars they have listed its obvious they are using the same guy to inflate price as he is bidding on over half the cars they have listed.Reported these listing multiple times but nothing was done.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It is generally thought that while eBay looks at Reports of problem listings and members, they only pay attention if there are Reports from multiple members or from trademark/copyright holders.

That being said, what you are describing is called 'shill bidding' and is illegal. Not just eBay illegal, but a criminal offense.

The next time you Report this guy, use the term SHILL BIDDIING, in your Message title and report the shill bidder instead of the seller. 

Also, a shill bidder does NOT want to win. He will bid until you reach your high bid, then retract.  Bid retractions are shown on the bidding page and are part of a bidder's feedback.

If you are losing to higher bidders, you are not being shilled. The other bidder just has deeper pockets-- perhaps because he is closer to Florida than we Canadians and can pay more because his shipping costs are lower.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

There was once a seller in the UK that sold furniture... at auction on eBay.  He did very well.

It was not immediately obvious, but his divorced... former... wife was bidding on his listings,.

eBay eventually found out what was happening  and this seller was removed from eBay....  This took several years to confirm

------------------------

This can also happen at a local auction... Auctioneer had a person at the back of the room that was supposedly bidding for him.  This auctioneer also specified that one can only win after two bids.  There was once a time when two people showed up at an auction and did the bidding....Auctioneer told them to leave after they did their... two bid... routine.

A local auctioneer can also use a "fake person"  to bid... and if this Fake Person won, the auctioneer  had a buyer number to use......

-----------------------

Shill bidding... fake bidders ... are a reality.    In many situations they are hard to identify.

Whether at a local auction... or online.....      Bidder/Buyer... beware

Message 3 of 3
latest reply