Canada Mail Strike 2016 UPDATE!!!

So looks like that next week (Aug 20-25th/2016) there is a STRONG POSSIBILITY of a strike....

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just great!!

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Just as strong a possibility as it was 2 months ago...

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

The Canada Post lockout/ CUPW strike should of happened in early July/16 so both sides could just get it out of their system and have the Government step in and eventually resolve the issue.

It was a good strategy for CUPW President Mike Palecek to hold off on a strike during the summer months when sales and general postal activity are traditionally much slower. 

Shipping out packages in July/August was so easy with virtually "no" lineups at the Post Office.  

There will be a much bigger impact in September or even October when online shopping picks up... 

But I'm sure this is what CUPW President Mike Palecek wanted in the first place.... 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I'm sure this is what CUPW President Mike Palecek wanted in the first place.... 

Don't think he'll be getting much else.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Anyone closing up shop again ?

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Not me. 

I won't get excited until there are firm developments. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Wednesday August 24 2016
2015-2019/170
No 67

As we quickly approach the deadline to utilize our strike mandate we have changed the format of our bulletins slightly to increase the speed of our communications.

Canada Post Not Moving

Yesterday we met with Canada Post and the Minister of Labour with the mediators present, to review all the issues in dispute. We were anticipating a different approach, but instead it was the same old rhetoric. Canada Post is maintaining its unacceptable demands rollbacks: precarious part-time and temporary employment, no improvements in staffing, the ability to close all 493 protected CUPW staffed retail locations eliminating up to 1200 full-time jobs, continuing the attack on our retirement security by wanting to increase the cost of retiree benefits and changing to a defined contribution pension plan for all new regular employees and to change the working conditions for all Urban employees. Canada Post’s proposal on pay equity for RSMCs was nothing more than an attempt to complicate and delay that process. Canada Post wants to drag out pay equity with binding arbitration, a process that could take years or even decades. . Surprisingly, Canada Post did not include any demands for growth during its presentations yesterday. Canada Post mentioned nothing about parcels or unaddressed admail or any other way to increase revenues and grow the company. This is not an approach that will lead to negotiated collective agreements.

Next Steps

Our National Executive Board (NEB) is meeting this morning to consider the position that Canada Post is maintaining. The NEB will decide on what strike activities we may engage in. If nothing changes between now and tomorrow, we will be issuing our 72-hour notice of strike activity. The NEB will not make this decision without careful thought and serious consideration.

It is critical that we all continue to show up for work unless otherwise notified by our National Union!

Be Ready, Be Prepared & Be Strong!

Much is going to happen over the next couple of days but no matter what you hear from CPC management or in the media, you must remember it is Canada Post that is refusing to negotiate. Watch for updates and alerts from your Union. If Canada Post backs us into a corner, we will come out fighting.

Our Cause is Just - The Struggle Continues!
Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

OTTAWA – Representatives of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers will hold a media conference on Thursday August 25th at 10 am EST.

WHO:             Mike Palecek, national president, Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) and others

WHAT:          Media conference

WHEN:          Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 10 AM Eastern Time

WHERE:       377 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON, K2P 1Y3, first floor meeting room

WHY:             Update on status of negotiations

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I was talking to a local postie about this state of affairs and she did not support work disruption, accusing both parties of fooling around so as to live the high life in hotels as long as possible while pretending to represent the wishes and best interests of workers and/or Canadians. That's essentially the opinion of any layperson that I've spoken to about it. 

If it comes down to an actual lockout-strike again, I'll go back to an extended handling time and my contingency plan of courier service for domestic orders, local pick-up for regional orders, and day trips south for international orders. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

The union representing 50,000 Canada Post workers says it will issue a 72-hour strike notice tomorrow “if nothing changes” between now and then.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers issued a release Wednesday afternoon after meeting with Labour Minister Mary Ann Mihychuk and Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra on Tuesday.

“Our National Executive Board (met) this morning to consider the position that Canada Post is maintaining,” the release said.

Union executives are scheduled to address reporters in Ottawa at 10 a.m. ET

Strongest indication yet that I have read that a strike is impenitent.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Canada Post: Union tells members to ‘get ready’ as strike mandate expires

The union representing 50,000 Canada Post workers says it will issue a 72-hour strike notice tomorrow “if nothing changes” between now and then.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Thursday August 25 2016

For Immediate Release

OTTAWA - Today’s press conference has been postponed until further notice. More information will be out shortly.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Seriously?
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Great. I have items purchased, some en route and some just being sent. Guess I'll be waiting a while now.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Well, 72 hours is long enough to clear Customs in most cases. And many places within Canada are less than that for delivery estimates with Expedited Parcel. If you have tracking on an item, you're in a better position to appeal any customer complaints.
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

"The Canadian Union of Postal Workers said the notice, delivered to management just hours before a strike mandate was set to expire, “listed anticipated job actions” but stopped short of a full-blown walkout."

It says that but then also two paragraphs later that Aug. 29 is the first day they could strike.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this actually means, or how it may shake-down?
Message 19 of 26
latest reply