Overcharge for store subscriptions

Why eBay can not get the conversion rate for store subscriptions right on every invoice since February 2020, but All other fees for Every other item charge (final value fees or insertion fees) has the conversion rate right. $59.95usd does not convert to $92cdn. I've always had  a store on eBay.com and sell in US funds due to 90% of my business is done in the US, transferring to eBay.ca would not be good for us, not to mention shutting down my ebay.com store, paying penalties, and reopen on ebay.ca.

If I need to call every month as I've been doing to get the conversion done correctly for my store and get the credit I deserve, I will do that, all other fees are able to be converted properly with no glitches, only the store subscription.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Overcharge for store subscriptions

As I  write this xe.com shows a mid-market rate of 1.32985 Cdn for $1.00 USD.

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

When you follow that link, you may very well get an entirely different price, because the mid-market rate is very volatile and may change several times a day.

It also is not the retail rate charged by banks, but refers to interbank transfers in the millions of dollars.

In addition, depending on how you pay your fees, you are also paying bank or credit card charges.

The difference I get between the $79.72  using xe.com and the $92..00 you were charged does sound pretty strange however.

Do you have an American bank account?

Not a Canadian bank account in US dollars, but with an actual American bank like CitiBank or ... actually that's the only one I know.

Except.

Both the Royal and TD have connections with American -licensed banks and you can open an account with one of those.

Ask at the Canadian branch about opening an account with RBCBank or TDNorth. While these are used a lot by snowbirds, they also offer business services.

We opened ours when our shop and auction house did a lot more US business than now that we have retired.

The point is you get paid in USD, you move the money to the American bank, and pay your fees from the American bank.

If you move the USD back to Canada, you can put the USD directly into your USD account in the Canadian bank, instead of having to convert it to loonies, then back to USD.

It would also take care of the immediate problem.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply