2018 Fall Seller Update

Hi all,

The 2018 Fall Seller Update was released today.

Here’s a brief summary of what’s included:

Marketplace Updates: Answer your buyers’ questions before the sale by providing your customer service phone number, a reminder to list using secure HTTPS content to stay abreast of Google Chrome security changes, and fee updates for Reserve price and Subtitles.

Inventory Optimization: New categories in the product-based shopping experience, “New other” item condition updates, lower final value fees in some Business & Industrial categories, and new item specifics updates for the Wheels category.

Service Metrics & Shipping: Access service metrics and peer benchmarks in Seller Hub, and the introduction of shipping rate tables to eBay Canada.

Please use this thread for feedback and questions about this latest release. As always, feedback is welcome. I may not address your feedback directly, but I’ll be collecting it to pass along to the Seller Release team at large.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: 2018 Fall Seller Update

Hello happy_pigeon,

Comments and concerns,

Marketplace Updates,

Only reason a BUYER has EVER attempted to contact me in 10 years of selling was to confirm the possibilities of arranging pick up to save on shipping. Currently seems to be a very difficult thing to accomplish without an actual sale being completed. After a sale was completed have NEVER had a buyer attempt to contact me. Maybe a few times after an item has arrived because they didn't understand a products instructions. On the other hand trying to find out why a buyer has not paid or is taking their time to pay is extremely difficult to confirm when in most cases they refuse to respond.

Inventory Optimization:

Has added fields and added previously and now have to proof to confirm which are duplicates and in several cases to date have caused listings to have too many fields being displayed causing an error message. Regarding the reduced fees in the category noted, this only affects a very few sellers selling high end equipment and does nothing to help your average seller trying to pay the bills.

Service Metrics & Shipping:

Appears to cause more possibilities to have a negative rating and very few chances to stay positive. Regarding shipping, once a package is out of the hands of a seller, they have no control over actual delivery time and package scans. Now if you could get bonus points when your package was delivered quicker than its projected date!!! Currently buyers on the most part only report back if there is a problem and seldom when everything is fine. Appears this one is definitely stacked in buyers favor vs the seller.

-CM

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Groooooooooooooooooooooooooooooan. If I *wanted* to talk to would-be customers, I'd rent a table at a flea market. I don't even talk to my mother when she calls, I hate talking on the phone, it quite literally hurts my ears. But I offer Local Pickup so I talk to folks when they arrive on my doorstep, I don't think I want someone hollering at me at 3 am in German because they were taken aback by tariffs but, uh, okay. I'll consider this. 

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I assume the 'shipping rates' table applies to flat-rate shipping? Or will it also apply to Calculated?  If I understand this correctly, ebay will allow me to disallow 'free shipping' to certain zones?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Marketplace Updates: Answer your buyers’ questions before the sale by providing your customer service phone number,

• Playing 'spot the unintended consequences' , I wonder how long it will take for this to disappear.
  • How do I set my 'eBay' phone to go straight to voicemail?
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Groooooooooooooooooooooooooooooan

MQ, if it were possible I would have given you a thousand "helpfuls" for this one comment alone.
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Was, repeat was, thinking of listing a few books . Will be looking to list those elsewhere now. I'm not kidding.

A 12% FVF is that for real? With books being so expensive to ship anywhere in Canada or heaven forbid the USA 12% is outrageous.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

where does one find the info for the proposed fee increases for media categories, books,etc ...have had no email from eBay regarding the Fall update and can not find this anywhere in announcement.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

It shows up on the .com fall seller update>fees page, but doesnt seem to be on the .ca one.  Also didn't get any email and took awhile to find that.  Person responsible for returning search results on ebay must have designed the update page

"

tarting September 15, 2018, the final value fees for Books, and DVDs & Movies categories will increase from 9.15% to 12% for Store subscribers and from 10% to 12% for non-Store sellers.

Starting September 15, 2018, the final value fees for the Music category will also increase from 9.15% to 12% for both Store subscribers and non-Store sellers, with the exception of the Records category, which will remain at 9.15% for Store subscribers and 10% for non-Store sellers."

They screw things up so often there is no way to tell if they left it out because it doesnt apply here, or they just forgot 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

The fee increases have been stripped out of the version posted here, go to the ebay.com community, the full update is posted there, fees are mentioned in the very last paragraph of the Marketplace Updates section.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Hi all. Here are my notes from your feedback so far:

Customer service phone number:
Totally optional. This is just an addition to the previous feature, which, after removing contact info for sellers, allowed sellers to provide an established customer service phone number for after-sales support. This just allows those who want to to add one for pre-sales support. This would likely only be used by very large sellers with an established customer service system. If you don't opt in, there will be no impact to your sales or business.

Shipping rate tables:
Can be flat rate or calculated based on weight.

@kawartha-ephemera
Canada is NOT opted in to the books fee increase. I can't speak for the future, but for the time being, we've made a conscious decision not to take part in this one at this time. Make sure you're reading the Canadian Seller Update pages, as I've removed anything that doesn't apply to Canada.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@happy_pigeon wrote:

Hi all. Here are my notes from your feedback so far:

Customer service phone number:
Totally optional. This is just an addition to the previous feature, which, after removing contact info for sellers, allowed sellers to provide an established customer service phone number for after-sales support. This just allows those who want to to add one for pre-sales support. This would likely only be used by very large sellers with an established customer service system. If you don't opt in, there will be no impact to your sales or business.

Shipping rate tables:
Can be flat rate or calculated based on weight.

@kawartha-ephemera
Canada is NOT opted in to the books fee increase. I can't speak for the future, but for the time being, we've made a conscious decision not to take part in this one at this time. Make sure you're reading the Canadian Seller Update pages, as I've removed anything that doesn't apply to Canada.

@happy_pigeon Thank you for the clarification.
I assume if a Canadian seller were to list a book on ebay.com the higher FVF would apply?

A lot of us list on both ebay.ca and ebay.com, therefore we make a point of reading .com updates.

This is a first, up until now I do not believe there has ever been a FVF differential between the two countries. 
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

@happy_pigeon Thank you for the clarification.
I assume if a Canadian seller were to list a book on ebay.com the higher FVF would apply?

A lot of us list on both ebay.ca and ebay.com, therefore we make a point of reading .com updates.

This is a first, up until now I do not believe there has ever been a FVF differential between the two countries. 

Yes, listing on .com will mean you pay those fees, but I want to keep this thread for discussion of the Canadian Seller Update. Someone can definitely start a thread to discuss the US one if they want to.

It's true, we very rarely differentiate from US fee updates. I don't know how it will shake out in the end, but we won't be following the timeline given in the US SU.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Thank you for the further clarification. It's getting to the point where we'll soon have to check our play- books before listing anything lol.
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Thank you for clarification on the fee increases pertaining to music and books categories. Looks like I shall not be listing any books on .com anymore, dotCA only... back issue magazines are about 15% of my listings. Also most happy to see that records are not included in the fee increases.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

Hi, with regard to :

Also starting October 15, 2018, we will begin automatically updating existing listings in the Business & Industrial category with a "New other" label to a "Like new" label and definition. A "Like new" label will apply to items that are in excellent condition with no functional defects. The item may have been used for testing or demo purposes, and may be missing the original packaging. It may include warranty and accessories found with the original product.

I sell electronic components like resistors and capacitors.  The parts are 'new from old stock'.  Currently on my listings the item condition is  showing as 'New-Other'  with my comment that the parts are new from old stock, and I include any other pertinent item condition descriptions.

When E-Bay performs the automatic updating of my item condition from New-other to Like New, how does that affect the information that is currently showing in the 'New-Other' item condition field?  Will all the details be lost? Or will they carry over?

How will I be able to show that the item is New but of old stock?  The 'Like new' condition which includes 'may be used' is not appropriate for new old stock items'.

Monika

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@cgphile wrote:

Hi, with regard to :

Also starting October 15, 2018, we will begin automatically updating existing listings in the Business & Industrial category with a "New other" label to a "Like new" label and definition. A "Like new" label will apply to items that are in excellent condition with no functional defects. The item may have been used for testing or demo purposes, and may be missing the original packaging. It may include warranty and accessories found with the original product.

I sell electronic components like resistors and capacitors.  The parts are 'new from old stock'.  Currently on my listings the item condition is  showing as 'New-Other'  with my comment that the parts are new from old stock, and I include any other pertinent item condition descriptions.

When E-Bay performs the automatic updating of my item condition from New-other to Like New, how does that affect the information that is currently showing in the 'New-Other' item condition field?  Will all the details be lost? Or will they carry over?

How will I be able to show that the item is New but of old stock?  The 'Like new' condition which includes 'may be used' is not appropriate for new old stock items'.

Monika

Good question! It all depends on the packaging really. If your items are still in the original manufacturer's packaging, they would qualify as New, even if they are old stock. You would not need to list them as New Other. The exact qualifications are here.

Otherwise, if it has been removed from the packaging, I believe you would indeed use Open Box. Open Box doesn't preclude the item from being unused, it just means that the packaging isn't sealed and you can add more details in the listing description.

Like New will only apply to items in B&I, so if you're listing in Electronics you wouldn't be updated to that one.

Does that make sense or have I made it clear as mud?

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Hi,

Sort of.

My categories are all in Business & Industrial.  So starting October 15th my choices will be New, Like New, Used, Manufacturer Refurbished, Seller Refurbished, or For Parts or Not Working?  This I get. 

So  I will end up listing everything as New, and adding the 'New from old stock' in the body of the listing description.  Hopefully prospective buyers will have read the full description before purchasing.

Will the 'Like new'  condition have a field to enter information like the current 'New other' does?

You did not address my question about what happens to the information that is currently showing in the 'New-other' field.  Many of my listings have information in this field.  When E-Bay automatically updates from 'New-other' to 'Like new', what happens to the detailed information that is currently in that field.  Does it carry over and remain visible?  Or is it lost?

If the information is lost, this means that I will have to revise a considerable number of my listings to add back the information that the E-Bay update has lost.

Monika.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Question about HTTPS requirement:

Starting September 15, 2018, you will be required to use secure HTTPS content when you list items on eBay based on  Google's HTTPS mandate. "New," "relist," "sell similar," and "sell one like this" listings created with non-secure HTTP content will not successfully submit

Does this mean that if I have any http content or links, I will be unable to list anything on Sept 15?  Right now, I can list but get the "See Full Item Description" link.

And will this apply on both ebay.ca and ebay.com?

My store is still http  - not https

Is there something I need to do to update it?

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@bookelph wrote:

Question about HTTPS requirement:

Starting September 15, 2018, you will be required to use secure HTTPS content when you list items on eBay based on  Google's HTTPS mandate. "New," "relist," "sell similar," and "sell one like this" listings created with non-secure HTTP content will not successfully submit

Does this mean that if I have any http content or links, I will be unable to list anything on Sept 15?  Right now, I can list but get the "See Full Item Description" link.

And will this apply on both ebay.ca and ebay.com?

My store is still http  - not https

Is there something I need to do to update it?

Yes, your interpretation is correct - you won't be able to complete listings with non-HTTPS content after September 15. I generally don't talk about .com changes as I am not the expert there, but in this case the change will be across both sites.

As long as the listings you place in your Store are free of HTTP content, you won't have any issues. The actual URL of your Store, which will be HTTP if it contains custom content, will generate a warning in the address bar of Chrome as mentioned in the Seller Update, but will still be visible, and will not affect the visibility of your listings.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply