A Perfect Example Of One Of The Major Things That Is Wrong With Ebay Currently!

2 Cassini searches. The only difference between the 2  is that the 2nd one has all of the Chinese garbage filtered out using advanced to specify North America only.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=murano+glass+perfume+bottle&LH_PrefLoc=2&_ftrt=901&_sop=12&_dmd...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=murano+glass+perfume+bottle&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&...

The search was formated as "Murano Glass Perfume Bottle"

The first search returned just under 3000 listings. The filtered to North Americo only search returned roughly 500 listings. The original search results were for the most part Chinese listings to the tune of what, 2500 or so by my math! The Chinese listings also occupied all of the top spots due to primarily .99 cent prices and free shipping.

Now, I do have just a little knowledge in the area of art glass and Murano art glass and I can guarantee you that not one of those Chinese listings is for an authentic piece of Murano glass yet they all use the word "Murano" in the title, and they have completely buried any legitimate Murano glass listings.

On Ebay.ca you can at least have the item's location filter in the sidebar where it is obvious but on .com it is not there and I don't see any way to put it there in settings (please correct me on that if I am wrong as I would really like to use that if its possible)

It boggles my mind that this is allowed to go on. I have had listings removed because I used the phrase "Looks just like xxx" where xxx was a brand or style name etc yet these Chinese sellers are allowed to blatantly lie and call their items "Murano" glass.

It just so happens that I currently have an absolutely gorgeous Murano Archimede Seguso Sommerso glass vanity set listed and it's a really nice one to fall into the no fees promo as it's worth $300 bucks but with search results like that, who the heck is going to find it and how many top notch buyers  are being run off because they are sick of seing all of this Chinese **bleep** show up in searches.

thD

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: A Perfect Example Of One Of The Major Things That Is Wrong With Ebay Currently!

I couldn't agree more.  Ever since eBay opened the floodgates, the OOAK items with true collector value have been swamped by a sea of everything from outright fakes to "wannabee" lookalikes.  

I see this sort of thing in so many categories, and as frustrating as it is for a seller to have an authentic item buried in the Chinese dross, I'd say it's also just as frustrating for buyers who are looking for the real thing.  It's one thing to have a selection to choose from; quite another to be overwhelmed with junk.  

Unfortunately I think Chinese sellers have become quite clever at mimicry and workarounds where such items are concerned.  These items fly under eBay's radar because, strictly speaking, they aren't illegally using a brand name, but piggybacking onto a well-known description.  So they escape the "bots". 

There was an interesting documentary not long ago on the subject of fake items coming from China which pointed out that in China, imitation really is considered an art and absolutely the sincerest form of flattery and respect for the original.  Those who can copy, fake and imitate to a high level are regarded very highly.  So there may be a clash of social/cultural perspective involved, where there is no shame whatsoever attached to fakes or lookalike products for Chinese sellers, whereas we in the West see it as disgraceful cheating.  

Perhaps this is something eBay itself didn't count on -- providing an open invitation that the Chinese took them up on in spades!  Now eBay has a problem that is not going to be easy to solve unless they find a way to completely separate offshore "stuff" from North American products at the first level of search.  Of course, depending upon how well those Chinese items sell, eBay may not be willing to shove them to the back burner.  

I recall there was a Canadian seller who used to come to these boards a while ago who was selling beautiful, authentic ammolite jewelry.  He was incensed -- and I don't blame him -- that his items were getting swamped and buried by a whole lot of cheap Chinese items with a very similar name (ammonite) that were not in the same category of item or quality at all (I hope I have the item names right here, it's been a while).  All he asked was that eBay provide separate categories for the two.  They never did so, as far as I can recall.  

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: A Perfect Example Of One Of The Major Things That Is Wrong With Ebay Currently!

Sterling Silver jewelry is another one that is mostly fake and not only from China but also USA.  There are over a million and half pieces listed as Sterling Silver, many of them with "authentic gem stones".  140,442 are categorized as "fine jewelry".  Most of them are cheap plated jewelry, with colored glass and are priced very low.  What amazes me most is these sellers have 100% satisfactory feedback.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply