ARGGHH: GTC not renewed listing(s) do not include item specific information that is now required

Woke up to this message today, went through freak out phase (because I have 475 listings that show under "add item specifics" in my ebay)  but I think I figured it out.

When I checked the “offending” item it did actually have an item specific, but only one, and it was invented (ie not one of the suggestions). I began to worry that my invented specifics were going to be a problem (I had also noticed that many of the 475 with “add item specifics” had my invented specifics with them too).

I went to relist the one it cancelled last night and when I did that, it told me I had to fix the offending issues first, and guess what, the offending issue was that there was no return policy! Once I fixed that all was well and I could relist. This is a bit odd because the original I submitted through Turboslister was still intact and it did have my normal 30 day return policy in it. Presumably that means there was a glitch when it was uploading or subsequently in eBayland. Sadly the message I received this morning was totally misleading and sent me down the completely wrong path because I never would have guessed that “no return policy” counted as “item specific information”.

It does leave me wondering about the rules around item specifics, I thought as long as I had at least one, even if it is one I made for each item I was AOK under the rules. I noticed that a lot of the ones in the “add item specifics” list already have one, although most are created by me (the stuff I sell doesn’t generally fit well within their suggestions). I am also not sure why the other 1775 items aren’t a problem.

I did try to fix a batch of items through the process it initiates when you click on “add item specifics”, and I even changed them to one of the suggestions, but it ended up telling me they still needed item specifics?? I’m now presuming it gives one that message unless all of the various suggestion categories have something in them??? But if that is the case, I don’t understand why the other 1775 aren’t showing up too?

If anyone has any insights into what/how the “add item specifics” works, I’d be glad to hear them!

(I’m also beginning to wonder if there is similar magic as is used in Cassini for these things as my list of “update price for X listings” has changed at least a couple times this morning…..)

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

ARGGHH: GTC not renewed listing(s) do not include item specific information that is now required

Oh, the bizarre world of shape-shifting, ever-changing, always arcane, eBay programming! 

I'm sorry I can't help you out at all with this problem, but hopefully someone will pop up with assistance. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

It does leave me wondering about the rules around item specifics, I thought as long as I had at least one, even if it is one I made for each item I was AOK under the rules.

The way that I understand it, the only item specifics that we 'must' have are those that are marked with a green star on the syi form. Ebay does 'suggest' that we are missing item specifics that would help us sell our product. I use a lot of item specifics so when I look at their recommendations,  99% of the time their suggestions are not relevant for that particular item.

One good reason to use item specifics is that ebay considers them a part of 'structured details' and they will sometimes remove feedback if the feedback mentions something that is in the structured details. For example...A buyer may complain an item is too small. If the exact measurements are in the item details, it is more likely the feedback can be removed.

I find that there 'suggested' additions to my titles are usually less than helpful as well.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply