Anyone else noticing a spike in scams on eBay?

Has anyone else noticed an unusual number of scams going on eBay?  I have had a number of transactions recently where eBay or PayPal notify me not to ship the order because it was fraudulently placed by someone other than the actual account holder. 

Also I've had couple of people in the last month try and make false claims, one that just happened tonight, customer claiming that the item is not as described and that they just opened the package today after 48 days of receiving it.  I think it's time eBay cracks down on buyers abusing the system.  It seems that eBay allows buyers to get away with so much.

Now I'm waiting to talk to an eBay rep lol.  I used the call back option on the phone, I was told someone will call me back in 9 minutes, 15 minutes later the phone rings and now it's been 47 minutes and someone is yet to answer.  Maybe I'm just have an eBay bad day or month.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I experienced a similar scenario, I received a "item not as described" claim through eBay 40 days after I sent the item and the buyer had already left me positive feedback. I denied the return as the item was as described and blocked the buyer. 

I got a message later that evening from the buyer apologizing for making a INAD claim and that she is very happy with her purchase.

She said that she had a bad reaction to sleeping medication that effected her cognitive reasoning. 

I ended the message on a positive note and requested that she call eBay customer service to let them know the INAD claim was sent in error and to have the defect removed from my account. 

I never heard back from her and the defect is still on my account...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

and now it's been 47 minutes and someone is yet to answer.

Well, it's nearly midnight PST and 2:30 in the morning in the Phillipines.

They may be a little short staffed at the call centre for North America.

While the buyer's tale is pretty outlandish, I suspect your best bet is the flat "return for full refund". The buyer is probably past the eBay deadline for you to have to pay the return shipping and if he goes to PP they always make the buyer return before refunding.

Ooooh! you have my favourite perfume! I'm counting all the dimes from my Cookie Jar Insurance.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

I experienced a similar scenario, I received a "item not as described" claim through eBay 40 days after I sent the item and the buyer had already left me positive feedback. I denied the return as the item was as described and blocked the buyer. 

I got a message later that evening from the buyer apologizing for making a INAD claim and that she is very happy with her purchase.

She said that she had a bad reaction to sleeping medication that effected her cognitive reasoning. 

I ended the message on a positive note and requested that she call eBay customer service to let them know the INAD claim was sent in error and to have the defect removed from my account. 

I never heard back from her and the defect is still on my account...

What was the defect for? The snad claim by itself shouldn't give a defect.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Well, it's nearly midnight PST and 2:30 in the morning in the Phillipines.

They may be a little short staffed at the call centre for North America ...

Cough, cough... that would be 2:30 in the afternoon in the Philippines (there is a dateline if you head west from Canada to help mix things up). The Philippine Time zone (PHT) is UTC/GMT +8 hours. The Philippines last made a Daylight Savings Time adjustment in 1990. No resetting clocks twice a year for them.

=..=

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If  it has been longer than 30 days since delivery was confirmed or 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date and the buyer opens an eBay snad  return request you don't have to accept the return as eBay won't 'step in' after the 30 days.  If the buyer then opens a claim on PayPal you will probably have to accept the return but the buyer will have to pay for return shipping.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It's a Return Rate % which is still I believe is some form of defect (or not?).

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

All returns whether they are snad or not go into that return section and are not considered to be any type of defect.  Of course that could change in the future.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Another reason why negative feedback posts for buyers should never have been removed!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Luckily the case was closed in my favor, but it's still frustrates me how eBay always seems to side with the buyer even though in most cases it's clear that the buyer is abusing the system.  I do not accept returns, at the same time I'm extremely customer oriented and rarely ever had issues with a customer that weren't resolved, and my 100% positive feedback proves that. 

It's mainly when customers decide they don't want the item and they know that the only way to get away with it is to claim "item not as described".

By the way, which perfume are you talking about?  Let me know, maybe I can discount it for you 🙂

Message 10 of 10
latest reply