April 20th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

A bit of a late start today. Please go ahead and start posting, I'll be around on & off until tomorrow.

Open issues:

• Odd missing gallery picture in search results
  • Errors when uploading more than one tracking number at a time (repeated, erroneous numbers saved)
  • Sold items going into Unsold container
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy

Updates:

• Seller marketing emails issues - Selling team asigned someone to this, waiting on news.
  • Wrong tax rates applied to PayPal labels - I have asked PayPal and Pitney Bowes for an update
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations -I have asked PayPal and Pitney Bowes for an update
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - under investigation with shipping team
Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Good afternoon Raphael.

Here is a copy of my post from last week:

Good morning Raphael.

As you stated above the issue with email marketing for my eBay store (on eBay.ca) has not yet been solved.

It has been going on for eleven days.

Why does it take eBay so long to identify a technical issue, correct it and advise the member accordingly.

Can you imagine you having a problem with your cable, your internet, your phone, your hydro, or any other service and not getting a reply and solution after eleven days.

And you are raising the monthly cost of having an eBay store by 25%!

That is NOT the type of service eBay should provide to its members.  You guys can so better than that.  You guys must do better than that.

Many Canadian sellers here are getting tired of hearing excuses why technical problems are not identified and corrected promptly. I am one of them.

==========================================================================================

A week later, I have not yet heard from eBay about the email marketing problem.  Tried it again yesterday - same result - "Failed" with no explanation as to why something that has worked for more than ten years is not working now.

One more time:

That is NOT the type of service eBay should provide to its members.  You guys can so better than that.  You guys must do better than that.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

xeposter
Community Member

This is my POSTING id.
Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

I'm still in the process of revising over 200 variation listings that dropped photos during my bulk update for upc/mpn/brand etc...

question about migrating to Canadian - how is that going to impact variation listings?  currently if I end a listing it takes me almost 30 minutes to change ONE to make sure I have all the correct photos, amounts available etc.  Will the migration retain that info so that I don't have to start from scratch because it's the only reason I'm holding off changing things over now...I have over 2000 variation listings and it's a nightmare trying to change each individually

as to product reviews- those of us who have thousands of items listed do not have time to check each listing to see if there's a product review that might be eligible to be removed.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

here's an item number so you can see what I'm referring to, as you can see the variation photos have dropped off 201074425371
Message 5 of 57
latest reply

Love the 4/20 reference in the title.

Or is it an explanation?

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

LOL

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

Hello Pierre,

which email marketing are you referring to?  sending a weekly email of new items or a special for instance..items on sale.  I have NEVER been able to send a special email regarding sales and it's been 8 years of sending weekly emails except for an approx 6 month stint where those didn't go out either.   When I have a sale I have to plan my new listings so that the weekly email shows at least one item on sale so hopefully my subscribers see that.

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Couple of shipping time questions (I'll split these into separate messages).

Got my 1st late mark for items purchased on Easter Good Friday.

Handling time of 2 business days. Mailed the next business day Tuesday March 28

(1) Why does the Your late shipment report have the indicator: Transactions that weren't shipped on time -- when the report is dealing with items that supposedly arrived late.

If it means what it says, then it is not calculating when shipped time correctly.

Or is it treating handling time as "real" days not as "business" days?

Or is the computer programmed to be stupid and treats a day as 24 hours rather than a proper calendar day?

This is something that needs to be fixed.

Either a proper description or proper calculations.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon Raphael.

Good morning Raphael.

As you stated above the issue with email marketing for my eBay store (on eBay.ca) has not yet been solved.

Why does it take eBay so long to identify a technical issue, correct it and advise the member accordingly.

Can you imagine you having a problem with your cable, your internet, your phone, your hydro, or any other service and not getting a reply and solution after eleven days.

Many Canadian sellers here are getting tired of hearing excuses why technical problems are not identified and corrected promptly. I am one of them.

==========================================================================================

A week later, I have not yet heard from eBay about the email marketing problem.  Tried it again yesterday - same result - "Failed" with no explanation as to why something that has worked for more than ten years is not working now.

One more time:

Hi Pierre,

As much as this may be irritating to you, I would caution against mixing this issue with anything else that goes on. Yes, we are raising the store fees. Yes, this issue has been persisting for two weeks now. Is it sub optimal? Sure is. Are the two connected? No they aren't. Does this mean anyone is sitting on their hands? It certainly doesn't. All teams are very busy here, especially developers. On top of their actual development work, they have the very unsexy task to prioritize issues against one another, which inevitably means that some get resolved faster than others. Let's not make it sound like they are incompetent just because this is the issue that is taking a bit longer this time around. After all, as annoying as failed marketing email may be, they aren't halting business.

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Hi Raphael, Thank you for letting us join this weeks WEEDLY session.  Today they are having a POT rally today in Vancouver, so the title is appropriate.  

1.  You were going to check when they were going to have economy shipping for the US and international on the listings for .ca.  We have been asking for this for months.  It is available on .com, why not on .ca?

2.  So far, I have made 26 sales for April on ebay, I should have way more.  

11 sold from 400 were listed on .com and they all sold to US buyers.  All US buyers, no Cdn or international.

15 sold from 620 were sold off .ca and they were listed on .ca in Cdn $.  10 were sold to CDN buyers, 2 were international and 3 were to the USA.  In this period holding to my averages, I should have at least 18 sales to the USA from .ca not a measly 3.

Now selling on .ca, I have reduced my prices and shipping cost, so that is why I have so many Cdn buyers.  

Looking at last April 2015, I listed solely on .ca US $.  I had 689 listed and I sold 55 CD's in April 2015.  30 were to US buyers and 15 were to Canadian buyers and 10 were international.  For that month, 55% were sold to US buyers.  Every month is different, but the point is that the majority of my CD sales are to US buyers.  

I am not complaining about the Canadian sales, they are fine, I am complaining about the US sales on the listings with the Canadian $.

I know from my personal experience that when something I want shows me English pounds or Australian $, I press back. 

Conclusion, In my field, CDN $ for US buyers doesn't work. If I want to sell to the US, my largest market, I will have to list in US $. I am giving Cdn $ a try.  We will see after a few months.  

What I would like to see is some kind of EBAY  promotion/explanation to US buyers that buying from Canada in Canadian dollars is not something to be afraid of.   If I don't sell and make money ebay doesn't either. 

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

only one?  I'm at 6 since September and I'm sure I'm losing my power seller status any time now

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@rainbow71113 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

I'm still in the process of revising over 200 variation listings that dropped photos during my bulk update for upc/mpn/brand etc...

question about migrating to Canadian - how is that going to impact variation listings?  currently if I end a listing it takes me almost 30 minutes to change ONE to make sure I have all the correct photos, amounts available etc.  Will the migration retain that info so that I don't have to start from scratch because it's the only reason I'm holding off changing things over now...I have over 2000 variation listings and it's a nightmare trying to change each individually

Hi rainbow71113,

When converting USD listings to CAD, the migration tool will essentially work the same as Sell Similar, which retains variations.

@rainbow71113 wrote:

as to product reviews- those of us who have thousands of items listed do not have time to check each listing to see if there's a product review that might be eligible to be removed.

The burden of keeping product reviews tidy isn't on sellers. If you do see one that you think is against policy (I don't think that policy has been published yet, and I personally haven't seen it internally as I write this), you can certainly report it, but eBay will take on the task of regulating the reviews.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon Raphael.

Good morning Raphael.

One more time:

Hi Pierre,

As much as this may be irritating to you, I would caution against mixing this issue with anything else that goes on. Yes, we are raising the store fees. Yes, this issue has been persisting for two weeks now. Is it sub optimal? Sure is. Are the two connected? No they aren't. Does this mean anyone is sitting on their hands? It certainly doesn't. All teams are very busy here, especially developers. On top of their actual development work, they have the very unsexy task to prioritize issues against one another, which inevitably means that some get resolved faster than others. Let's not make it sound like they are incompetent just because this is the issue that is taking a bit longer this time around. After all, as annoying as failed marketing email may be, they aren't halting business.

Maybe if Ebay quit changing everything constantly, there would be time to fix errors.

Please tell me what has been fixed in the last 6 months that was not wrecked by their stupid constant changes.

Many of us are tired of all the excuses Ebay and staff make instead of Ebay and staff being proactive.

If sellers had the same attitude and excuses for not doing things, Ebay  would just get rid of them.

Maybe Ebay needs to be held to the same standards as sellers and if they fail, which they do constantly, maybe staff should be punished by cuts in pay, suspension, or termination.

This we can't do anything is really won't do anything and it is getting ridiculous for sellers as well as buyers.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

Hi again Raphael,

oh thank goodness...currently sell similar doesn't work because of changing the currency...

also, do you know if the migration tool is going to retain our watchers?  or at least show them a relisted hyperlink in the watched fields

Message 15 of 57
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Couple of shipping time questions (I'll split these into separate messages).

Handling time of 2 business days. Mailed the next business day Tuesday March 28

(1) Why does the Your late shipment report have the indicator: Transactions that weren't shipped on time -- when the report is dealing with items that supposedly arrived late.

If it means what it says, then it is not calculating when shipped time correctly.

Or is it treating handling time as "real" days not as "business" days?

Or is the computer programmed to be stupid and treats a day as 24 hours rather than a proper calendar day?

This is something that needs to be fixed.

Either a proper description or proper calculations. 

Hi ypdc_dennis,

The on-time shipping metric primarily measures how fast a seller ships an item. Keep in mind that this metric was designed in a context where sellers are expected to use tracking. It works like this:

1. If the item gets an acceptance scan within the seller's handling time, the shipment is considered on time and we look no further.
  2. If there was no acceptance scan or if the acceptance scan was late, we look for a delivery scan within the estimated delivery date. If we get that delivery scan on time, we look no further.
  3. If there was no delivery scan or if the delivery scan was late, we ask the buyer whether the item arrived by the latest estimated delivery date.

In more than half of all permutations, a late shipment means that the seller shipped the item late. This is why the wording on your seller dashboard says that. The site isn't dynamic enough to adjust its wording to match the real reason why late shipments are recorded.

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

Shipping Part 2:

Handling time of 2 business days. Mailed the next business day Tuesday March 28 to Australia.

Item 1
Canada Post International Letter-post
Monday, Apr 4 to Tuesday, Apr 12
4 to 10 business days

Item 2
Canada Post Light Packet International
Tuesday, Apr 5 to Thursday, Apr 14
5 to 12 business days

Item 1+2
Combined shipping method (approved by buyer):
Canada Post International Small Packet Air
Postage bought via paypal and shipped to a mailbox facility.

Feedback left (and marked as late): April 18 (14 business days)

Based on past shipping experience for those methods I consider Australia to typically be 2-3 weeks (10-15 business days).

Next question:

Is there any way to change the shipping method (and time estimate) after the purchase is made? Particularly for combined shipping and for shipping upgrades.

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

I got a late shipping defect last week also for an item that was bought on Easter Sunday mailed the next day Easter Monday as the Franchise  PO was open but  no mail moved till Tuesday and E-Bay did not recognize Easter Monday as a holiday. I called  CS and explained to the girl but all she wanted to know if had tracking or not. Since it does not make much sense to sell an Auction for 4.99 and Free Shipping to pay 15.00 for Tracking.  

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

I find Australia to take way longer than estimates.  I too have a late shipment to Australia.  Ebay needs to revise the expected date for Australia. 

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

But then sellers would not get unwarranted defects which is Ebay's goal

Message 20 of 57
latest reply