April 23rd 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Apologies for the late post this week. I'll be around for a bit longer to make up for lost time. Please go ahead with your questions and comments, looking forward to read you!

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: April 23rd 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Well, I guess I have a "defect" question too.

Why is it a defect when a buyer doesn't receive their item due to it being lost in the mail and as soon as they open a case to let the seller know about the problem, the seller immediately refunds the buyer? I realize its a problem for the buyer, but the seller has done all they can to solve the problem. Somehow this doesn't seem fair to the seller, blaming them for what is a postal error.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rose-dee.

First, cart is coming to eBay.ca (many buyers are already seeing it), and it works with items listed on eBay.ca or any other eBay site. A similar fix for the eBay.com cart is in the works.

To be clear, if you are listing on eBay.ca, your buyers on eBay.com can't put any of your items in the shopping cart. They are checking out on them one at a time using our old, pre-shopping cart checkout experience. That experience works fine for buyers, so long as they aren't trying to combine purchases to redeem a combined shipping offer. Unless both items to be combined are high in value, the buyer will be forced into the immediate pay flow in order to purchase either item. Great for reducing the unpaid item mess we used to have, but messy if your buyers were trying to get a discount!

We are fixing all of this now. 🙂

@rose-dee wrote:

@2011limey1 wrote:

When I originally posted comment, I also got a comment from a Seller (('m a Buyer) who is also VERY frustrated, having to reimburse buyers for multiple purchases and I as a buyer have to go the route of messaging the Seller to get the lower shipping for multiple purchases.  As previously stated, this is the only site I know, and I know a lot! that doesn't have the cart.  Surely it wouldn't take long to get it set up, and I just cant figure out why it's not there.

Anyway, any idea of when we can see it?

I'd love to know too!  As a seller, the problem of getting multiple purchases to work at all is a big issue.  I've had US buyers message me asking why they can only place in their cart (and pay for) one of my items at a time.  I can only wonder how many buyers have tried to make multiple purchases, failed, and given up without contacting me.

This is, of course, assuming a cart system on eBay.ca would be completely compatible with (at the very least) the one on .com.  Please say this is the plan!

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's an interesting suggestion pocomocomputing. I don't think I've heard that request before.

We will share this with the selling team. 🙂

@pocomocomputing wrote:

While on the subject of listing formats and durations, why can't GTC format have an end option?  End listing automatically after x relistings. I know eBay will give a warning that a listing has been up with no sale after 16 or 18 months. 

What I would like is to be able to start a GTC for say 1 initial listing and 5 relists (any number I want)  and then end if it has not sold. Basically, to control an item and get it reviewed. Auto end would be nice instead of manually ending in last day to save on fees.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I have issues with My Notes on listings. I put notes on listings in Selling Manager (basic) to remind me of what to do when the listing ends or sells.  The notes disappear.

I had some listings that were Fixed Price with quantity more than 1.  I used Send to Auction to send one item from stock and decrement the Fixed Price listing quantity by one. Worked fine to do this.

I then added an eBay note to the auctions listings saying to add back a quantity of 1 to the FL parent listings if the item did not sell.  Notes were there while active listings. When they went to UnSold all my items with this note had the note disappear. I had to figure out which were auctions from FP and which were new auctions.

This is not the first time the notes disappear sometimes seemingly at random.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi pocomocomputing.

Yes, I believe the auto-relist promotion applies to other durations as well (though I am not sure about 30-day fixed). We will likely follow the same logic when we implement it on eBay.ca.

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Is it just 7 day duration? I was under the impression that it was for auction or fixed price formats and any duration (not just 7 days).

Since I could not find any details on this feature on eBay.com site in the past (I have not looked recently), I could be mistaken.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bookelph.

I strongly suspect that is by design. You may eventually see this option disappear from advanced search as well.

Our current proprietary search platform is much more powerful than its predecessors, and we are able to index the entire item description for our core search instead of having two search flavours  as we used to (titles only and titles + description).

We continue to put more emphasis on the title than the description in trying to match up with search keywords, but ultimately the days where a user needed to understand how our search worked and make decisions on whether to search just title or title + description are getting behind us now... buyers should not have to do anything harder than typing keywords and pretting the search button. 🙂

@bookelph wrote:

In My ebay STORE ....the Search by Title or Description seems to have disappeared.

Intentional, or a glitch?

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Raphael,

Regarding defects, I asked about an open case showing on both my global and U.S. dashboard even though I believed that I had only 1 open case and that was opened by a U.S. buyer. I asked if U.S. buyers were counted on the Global program and you replied:

"Open cases should not be shown on your Global dashboard as this metric doesn't apply to the Global program. Thanks for flagging this, I'll take it to the Dashboard team."

I'm not sure what you meant by this as according to the new spring update open cases do apply to the global program. Did you mean that U.S. buyers should be not be showing on the global dashboard or did you mean that Canadian sellers do not get a defect for an open case or...?

From the sellers spring update - The defect rate is simply the percentage of a seller's successful transactions that have one or more of the following transaction-related defects, the top predictors that a buyer will leave eBay or buy less

• Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for item as described
  • Detailed seller rating of 1 for shipping time
  • Negative or neutral feedback
  • Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described
  • eBay Money Back Guarantee (previously known as eBay Buyer Protection) or PayPal Purchase Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described
  • Seller-cancelled transactions

Hi pjcdn2005,

I must apologize because I gave you wrong info in my comment last week. Open cases on PayPal do count towards your defect rate in the Global program. I just confirmed this with the Standards team. Important to note that if an open case is escalated and found to not be the fault of the seller, the open case will no longer count towards the seller's defect rate.

Also for clarity: sales to US buyers will count towards your Global standards.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Assuming that open cases do count as a global standard, it does not seem right that a buyer can open an item not received case on paypal at any time...there doesn't seem to be time factor there so a buyer could open a case 3 days after the purchase.

If a buyer opens an item not received case on ebay, I believe they can do just 1 day after estimated delivery. Would it not be more reasonable for the case to be opened after the last day of estimated delivery?

For PayPal claims, a buyer can open a 'Not as described' dispute immediately after payment, however 'Item not received' claims can only be opened after 7 days following payment.

For eBay claims (items purchased on eBay.com only), for items coming from outside the US, the rules are different than for US domestic items (those are the ones where the buyer can open a case as soon as 24 hours following the estimated delivery time). The only rule I can read in my internal information is 30 days before a buyer can open an Item not received or Item not as described case, but that doesn't sound like I'm getting the whole picture so I'll need to do some more research on this. I'll update the thread whenever I get clarity on this.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

More defect related questions - My dashboard shows that I have a seller cancelled transaction that I never actually put in a cancellation for. I did refund the buyer because they had been blocked and they started a new id so that they could go around the block and buy the item anyway. 

1 -So are all refunds going to automatically count as a defect unless there is also a mutual cancellation stating the buyer requested the cancellation?

2 -What happens if I refund and then use 'other' as a choice for the cancellation?

3-Since this buyer did circumvent the block, can I appeal the defect? I have read on the U.S. boards that they are not removing any wrongly given defects right now but will do so later on...is that correct?

1. Just issuing a full refund to a buyer without documenting the reason via a cancellation request might put you at rick of getting a defect for that transaction. I was just informed as ell that a buyer asking for a cancellation via eBay messages, that can also be used as proof that the cancellation was not initiated by the seller.

2. Other as a reason should not be a problem.

3. If a buyer breaches eBay policy and causes a defect for you as a result, we (eBay) should definitely make things right. I'm not sure what measures CS has agreed to have in place for this but I think what you heard is totally plausible. If you (or anyone reading this) ever encountered this situation and eBay CS refused to help, please let me know.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Sorry, I don't mean to hog the board but the spring update has brought up a lot of questions.

In the spring update:

Just as today, sellers can have a maximum of 0.3% of eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection closed cases without seller resolution over the most recent evaluation period. That means the buyer opened the case, you weren't able to resolve it, the buyer reached out to eBay or PayPal to review it, and eBay found you responsible.

Perhaps I'm having a mind block but I don't remember in the past that we could only have a maximum of .3% of closed cases. But is it .3% AND more than 2 cases? If I have 276 U.S. sales then .3% is just.82 cases. In that situation, would I would be allowed to have 3 cases before there were any sanctions even though the percentage was over .3?

Keeping in mind that this metric only targets cases that were closed without seller resolution (as opposed to open cases), there is still a count protection in place. You would be allowed up to 2 such cases before getting penalized.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

To be clear, if you are listing on eBay.ca, your buyers on eBay.com can't put any of your items in the shopping cart. They are checking out on them one at a time using our old, pre-shopping cart checkout experience. That experience works fine for buyers, so long as they aren't trying to combine purchases to redeem a combined shipping offer. Unless both items to be combined are high in value, the buyer will be forced into the immediate pay flow in order to purchase either item. Great for reducing the unpaid item mess we used to have, but messy if your buyers were trying to get a discount!

We are fixing all of this now. 🙂

That is wonderful news!!  I love to offer combined shipping discounts, but it really hasn't been working well for several months. 

I hadn't thought of listing on .com as a "workaround", but would that mean a seller would have to choose the USPS shipping options, or would Canada Post options still be available?  That might be the issue that would make it unrealistic for a lot of sellers. 

This improvement (cart compatibility) can't come soon enough, in my view.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi bookelph.

I strongly suspect that is by design. You may eventually see this option disappear from advanced search as well.

Our current proprietary search platform is much more powerful than its predecessors, and we are able to index the entire item description for our core search instead of having two search flavours  as we used to (titles only and titles + description).

We continue to put more emphasis on the title than the description in trying to match up with search keywords, but ultimately the days where a user needed to understand how our search worked and make decisions on whether to search just title or title + description are getting behind us now... buyers should not have to do anything harder than typing keywords and pretting the search button. 🙂

@bookelph wrote:

In My ebay STORE ....the Search by Title or Description seems to have disappeared.

So sorry to hear you say this. Frankly I thought taking out the wildcard * search option (when everywhere else uses it ) was puzzling, now further limiting one's ability to refine a search by limiting "title and description" ....well, words fail me.

Ebay seems to think they can read everyone's mind and know what they are searching for.

I personally believe most people are quite capable of choosing their own searches. We don't really need or want so much help.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi vintagenorth.

That's a fair point of view. I think that's one of the reasons we permit a certain number of "defects" in all cases.

Part of the point of our standards program is to be able to identify the sellers who are delivering the best possible buyer experiences, so the bar for top-rated is set quite high. But even there, sellers can have a few defects and still be considered among the best of the best.

The scenario you decribe is the kind of thing that can happen to anyone from time to time, no matter how terrific they are. But imagine hypothetically two sellers with otherwise identical records, except one seller has had a few of these specific cases and another has had none. Which one should we show highest in search results?

Even though this is typically not a "defect" that is within a seller's control, and even if the seller refunds the price to the buyer (thank you!), these are not good buyer experiences, and something we want to ensure doesn't become larger than a breadbox for any given seller. I hope that makes sense.

@vintagenorth wrote:

Well, I guess I have a "defect" question too.

Why is it a defect when a buyer doesn't receive their item due to it being lost in the mail and as soon as they open a case to let the seller know about the problem, the seller immediately refunds the buyer? I realize its a problem for the buyer, but the seller has done all they can to solve the problem. Somehow this doesn't seem fair to the seller, blaming them for what is a postal error.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bookelph.

We are making search easier for your buyers to use. I don't see how that can be a bad thing. But I respect your point of view. 🙂

@bookelph wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi bookelph.

@bookelph wrote:

So sorry to hear you say this. Frankly I thought taking out the wildcard * search option (when everywhere else uses it ) was puzzling, now further limiting one's ability to refine a search by limiting "title and description" ....well, words fail me.

Ebay seems to think they can read everyone's mind and know what they are searching for.

I personally believe most people are quite capable of choosing their own searches. We don't really need or want so much help.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

This concludes this week's Board Hour. Thanks to all who participated, I'm happy to see this many of you coming to us with questions, comments and suggestions. Looking forward to chat again next week!

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rose-dee.

Canadian sellers are most welcome to use eBay.com to list on if you prefer, and until all the fixes are deployed, a seller relying on combined shipping and selling to the US as well as Canada is probably better off doing so.

You won't find the branded Canada Post services or Canadian calculated shipping services on eBay.com that you see on eBay.ca, but you will see a couple of generic flat rate services for items located outside the United States that will work for you.

@rose-dee wrote:

That is wonderful news!!  I love to offer combined shipping discounts, but it really hasn't been working well for several months. 

I hadn't thought of listing on .com as a "workaround", but would that mean a seller would have to choose the USPS shipping options, or would Canada Post options still be available?  That might be the issue that would make it unrealistic for a lot of sellers. 

This improvement (cart compatibility) can't come soon enough, in my view.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply