Are there hidden shipping and handling fees or sales tax?

Sorry if I posted in wrong section, I'm quite new. I saw this ad for a macbook pro listed for 2.2k. The seller is from the same province from me but on the island. British Columbia. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-w-Retina-Display-15-4-Core-i7-2-6GHz-8GB-512GB-HD-Warranty-...

According to this, its using standard shipping. Should I assume its canada post? Also will I be charged sale tax or any s/h fees? 

I never spent so much money on one item before, so I appreciate all the help. Thank you! 🙂

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The seller doesn't say that he/she charges tax. Standard shipping will probably be by Regular Parcel through Canada post. This listing also states 2200 or best offer. I would definitely start low ( maybe 1200 ) and see what the counter offer is if the seller does not accept your first offer.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

oh okay, thank you so much! 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You might want to ask the seller to ship with expedited parcel instead. It's supposed to be cheaper via Paypal shipping, AND you get tracking, while regular parcel has no tracking. Even if the seller does charge you more with expedited shipping, it should just be a few bucks more at most (since you're both in BC), which I think is still worthwhile for something this expensive.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If the seller was smart they would be shipping Xxpresspost and nothing less

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Within Canada, Zee, regular parcel does have tracking. It is the sellers loss if something should happen to the parcel. Unfortunate, but we all know that to be true.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Regular Parcel has tracking but no $100 include insurance. You have to ask for insurance.  Regular parcel is only available within Canada.

Expedited Parcel within Canada is only available for Venture One card holders or a commercial account. You cannot get at the counter.

As for the OP, I would never buy a laptop at $2,200 by mail. You need to see and check out such an expensive purchase. I would worry about being scammed (sent a brick, lol) or it being stolen or just not working properly and having to call/return the seller for repair. Way too much potential trouble for so much money.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

As the buyer neither tracking/Delivery Confirmation/ Signature Confirmation nor insurance does you any good at all.

Your seller may want to purchase these for her own protection. Not your concern.

If the item is not delivered or if it is Not As Described you can get your payment back by returning it and filing a Paypal Dispute. (And then, and only then, will you want to use a Signature Confirmed service).

Most sellers are honest. Most buyers are honest.

"Standard Shipping" is a weasel term used when the seller is not sure how she will ship. It could mean anything, including Canada Post's various services mentioned above or even a courier.

Since your seller is also in Canada, there is nothing to fear about courier shipping. The problems only arise with cross-border brokerage fees. These do not apply within Canada.

OTOH, this is a lot of money to be spending as a new eBayer. Personally, I would recommend buying locally and from a registered Apple dealer who can perform maintenance or help with warranty problems.

If your seller is charging sales tax, and ask about it, communication is good, I would regard that as a Good Thing. It means he is professional enough to have a GST license (you can ask for his number and check it with Revenue Canada). That indicates that he is in business, that he has been for a while, and that he intends to stay in business. 

I should mention that some GST registered sellers absorb tax into their asking price and some honest and reliable sellers are not GST registered.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply