Are there policies for a seller regarding shipping costs?

jjcollectables_and_stuff
Community Member

Is a seller allowed to charge whatever they want?  ie.  A very small item that fits into an envelop and sells for about $10, and the seller wants to charge $30 for regular postal shipping.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re:Are there policies for a seller regarding shipping costs?

In order to get ebay and Paypal seller protection from fraudulent claims, that the item didn't arrive, sellers have to ship with signature confirmation and tracking #. Canada Post does not provide these options for letter mail. Registered mail is very expensive, so that is not an option. I stopped shipping without these two necessary options long ago, and lo and behold, not one of my packages has gotten lost since.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The seller can charge anything he wants for shipping. And the postal cost of shipping is based on the dimensions of the item, not its value.

For US sellers:

You can ask the seller BEFORE bidding, if he will ship by First Class International. If he ships with Delivery Confirmation (signature is only needed on disputes for payments over $250) to Canada the base price of the USPS service is $20-25. On your doorstep, Canada Post will ask for a $10 service fee plus whatever duty and sales tax (HST) is applicable. (Or not, they can be sloppy about this, but don't count on it.)

FCI is much cheaper, but the seller is forfeiting DC, which some sellers are very uncomfortable about.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I think $10.00 S&H is too much for small items that goes in an envelope, probably they will be sending it Registered Mail, which is safer.

Buyers who are scammers can say they have not receive it when sent by Regular Mail, so therefore $10.00, anyway sellers will be charged ..90 cents fee on that $10.00.

I had many scammers who got back money & item from Paypal when they lied and say they didn't receive goods.

It is just a game here to some people, they just bid to see if they can get it and then don't pay.

All these changes too messes up Ebay. Several years ago it was so much better, U can make a profit, but now U get nothing for stuff U pay a lot for.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If shipping is stated at $30 in the listing and you bid/buy the item, you agreed to the $30 and shouldn't have a complaint as it was known up front.

The seller cannot ask after the listing is over for additional shipping cost.

The value of the item has no bearing on the cost of shipping. A heavy item could be purchased for $1 but the cost of shipping will far exceed that. Additionally, the type of shipping method used, distance, weight/dimensions, insurance, tracking/confirmation, all factor into the final cost of shipping, not the purchase price of the item.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply