BEWARE of seller - I was RIPPED OFF by this person

On March 19, 2013 I won a new Alfred Dunhill black lacquer & gold ballpoint pen purchased from eBay seller  who listed this item complete with images of the original Dunhill box & warranty/instruction booklet.

However what I received was the correct pen in a tatty old brown box (see attached jpeg) for a different model of Dunhill pen, which prevented me from using this pen as a gift, given the state of this box, this would have been embarrassing.

When I contacted the seller to complain, at one point on March 29 they mistakenly sent me an email they had meant for someone else within their own organization:

: "what can I do now? We have sent them the wrong box. I have two pins with the same number in different boxes. I can offer only that they get the second box."

I responded asking them to send me the correct box, & then on April 9th, approximately one week later, I received this response:

: "Hallo Mr. Thompson, please excuse us, but we still have not dispatch the box. Can we us to settle amicably agree, if we do send 10,00 EUR with PayPal or we send the box, as in the picture. If you want the box, we will ship them DHL today."

In turn I asked  to send me the correct box for which promised were again made & broken by  & in the end I received nothing from this seller.

Final email from  sent to me on June 29th:

However like before I received nothing in the mail & now my emails to  remain unanswered.

But here is where things get quite interesting, on July 11th, 2013, listed another Dunhill pen just like the one I purchased & they again used the SAME jpeg photos for which they made no mention whatsoever that these were stock images.

If I'm not mistaken this type of scan is commonly referred to as the switcheroo.

BEWARE of  because if you buy from this seller, based on my experience, you never know what you are going to receive.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: BEWARE of seller - I was RIPPED OFF by this person

You had only 45 days from the end of the auction/purchase to file an Item Not As Described dispute.

The seller seems to be bad at following through on promises, since he apparently had the box but did not send it as promised. I wonder if he did not sell the other pen with the right box and therefore could not follow through.\

Be that as it may, it comes down to 45 days.

Since that deadline has passed, you cannot get satisfaction through eBay or Paypa.l. You refused the offer of a partial refund and that time has passed too.

If you backed your PP payment with a credit card, immediately go to the customer service number on the card and ask about a chargeback. Keep it simple, the clerik is filling in a form and too much detail slows her down. You will need dates and prices and transaction numbers. Have those handy.

The cc company may, as PP would, require that the pen be returned to the seller in or der for you to be refunded.  The seller may make a repeat offer of cash back. Take it. 

You cannot leavce feedback at this point, if you have not already. You only had 60 days to do that. However, you can add a Response to any feedback left by the seller or yourself. Keep in mind that the most effective Responses are calm and factual. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: BEWARE of seller - I was RIPPED OFF by this person

Unlike 'surplusdealdude' your response was both welcome & beneficial.I appreciate the time you took to type it.

In the end the seller finally, after numerous emails, provided me with a partial refund, however the pen box which this person claimed* they sent never showed up.

P.S. Your avatar of Ena Sharples did not go unnoticed, I used to be a dedicated Corrie fan up until 2004 when the format & story lines changed for the worse.

* First stating they didn't have a tracking # & then claiming they had proof the package had arrived in Canada, only to drop the ball again, failing to provide me with proof that the box had in fact arrived in Canada.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply