Best match

Here we go again with best match that eBay offers.I was checking my products today because i was upset that my prices are very competitive in Canada and USA,on top of it im offering free shipping on most of my products and still i cant manage to increase my sales.

What upset me :

1.The chain stores on eBay do not have under their products matching items 

2.When I search by UPC even my prices are lower than the competitor my listing do not show up in the best match

3.When i search duffel bags and other listing shows up when i scroll down to the best match there isnt present duffel bag (could be luggage or laptop bag) but nothing close to .

4.Most of the time in the best match are pushed sellers from USA and China even though there prices are not cheaper 

There is much more than this that upset me .But lets start with this for now.I will appreciate your inputs on this because im sure that we are all in the same boat.Im also planing to raise the subject Wednesday on the weekly board.Have a great day and lot of sales

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Best match

As I've said before, I'm certain Best Match isn't necessarily about price or free shipping or seller standards: it's about sales performance.

Ebay rewards the products that sold with higher ranking in Best Match.

Until you crack into selling a lot of whatever it is that you are looking to position better within Best Match, other products will rank higher than you. Best Match is about relevance and the items that ebay expects buyers want (that being exactly what other buyers wanted before you came along to search for it) whatever sold most recently and in the greatest numbers.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is as far as I can tell. We're all in the same boat. I really don't think it's about us, the sellers, at all. It's about what sold last and how many of them sold. It's about the product and not the seller.

Ebay rewards those products that previously and most recently sold in the greatest numbers with highest ranking in Best Match. 

It's all about Final Value Fees. Successful sales. Checkout. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Best match

New listings get a boost on Best Match

A listing older than 12 months will be downgraded in a search report.

I end and relist a GTC listing at about 12 months.

On eBay anything older than 16 months as a GTC  listing is considered very old...

Many new sellers will start on eBay... and do very well..... and then sales fall off.....

the answer is that there are less people looking for what they sell.

Find out whether the end-relist sequence helps... 3 months, six months 12 months as options......

A new listing will almost always show close to the top of a Best Match search report.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Best match

@cumos55 wrote:

New listings get a boost on Best Match

Many new sellers will start on eBay... and do very well..... and then sales fall off.....

the answer is that there are less people looking for what they sell.

A new listing will almost always show close to the top of a Best Match search report.

This has been my experience as well, and actually what I was going to suggest to the OP -- if you can, list a whole group of new items during a short period of time and you may see a sudden boost in sales. 

I've experimented with this on a number of occasions, and have found in almost every instance that listing a substantial number of items all at once (within 2 or 3 days) suddenly generates a lot of sales.  Often those sales are of items that are completely unrelated to the new items, or older stock.  That part I've never been able to work out.  But no matter, a sale is a sale. 

This is why I think that considering sales as being the main driver of Best Match may be looking at effect rather than cause.  EBay loves new listings, and new listings tend to generate more interest by buyers, better placement in searches and more sales, which in turn may help with better placement and further sales.  How many times though have we all had flurries of sales, then a sudden gap?  If sales were the main driver, those gaps shouldn't happen as frequently as they do.  

I'd recommend the OP try and list at least 10 new items (of any kind) within a 2-day period in the next week and see if that generates some sales.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Best match

OP has incredibly good best match placement.  Just searching "duffle bag", list view, on .ca I get op first plus several more on the first page.   On com, as a logged on Canadian, Op also comes up on the first page despite there being 58,000 results, some of which have 400+ sales from single liatings  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Best match

I always have at least 10 new listings every couple of days .
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Best match

Wow thats a good news .So i must do find only how to boost my sales.But thank you for he news
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Best match

3.When i search duffel bags and other listing shows up when I scroll down to the best match there isnt present duffel bag (could be luggage or laptop bag) but nothing close to .

What are you referring to as best match?  it sounds as if you are referring to other sellers  items that eBay shows directly on your or others listing page. ......items that ebay says other people are viewing or others are watching etc...

I don't know how eBay chooses which items go there but when we refer to best match that isn't what most of us are referring to.  Best match refers to search order. A buyer can choose to sort search results by price, newly listed, best match etc.  If they choose best match and you are doing well in best match then you will have items showing on the first couple of pages of search.  So when I search for duffle bag and see a few of your items on the first page, those items are doing well in best match.  Does that make sense?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Best match

on the bottom of our listings there is showing the listings of other people viewing.check this item and see whats on the bottom 381643604633
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Best match

@rose-dee wrote:

I've experimented with this on a number of occasions, and have found in almost every instance that listing a substantial number of items all at once (within 2 or 3 days) suddenly generates a lot of sales.  Often those sales are of items that are completely unrelated to the new items, or older stock.  That part I've never been able to work out.  But no matter, a sale is a sale. 

This has been my experience .... precisely.  I've been adding a few each day in time for Black Friday and the holiday season and my sales for November have picked up dramatically.  And, as you say, some of the sales have been on newly-listed items but many others have been on items I've had listed for quite a while.

I haven't been spending the same amount of time on my media account, and my sales have dropped there.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Best match

Yes I know what you are referring to but that isn't best match. Best match is a sort method and is what a buyer sees on the search page when using the best match view on the top right of the page.  When a buyer uses newly listed as a sort method they see the newest listings first.  If the buyer uses best match, eBay chooses which listings will be shown first

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/searchstanding.html

As far as eBay not showing the same thing on the big box retailers listings, I'm sure that the big stores have different agreements with eBay....that's how business works.  Anyone buying or selling in huge volumes is going to be able to negotiate certain things that the average person can not negotiate.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Best match

I've never used "Best Match" to search for items I'm looking for.... Best Match has a plethora of items to sort through (most of which are garbage).

"Newly Listed" works well if you have a specific seller you are following. 

Once I have my chosen category, I start with "Highest Price" first and work my way down and then go to "Auction" style listings to find what I need.

I sold a few items last week, one that was originally listed a few years ago, one newly listed and another that was listed a few months ago, so my sales are all over the place in terms of listing placement.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Best match

Perhaps the most important to do is constantly work, and rework   your inventory on eBay.

add new listings.... 

Remove old listing.

Change things

Revise things......  I used to pretend to revise the postal code on all listings..... revising 500 listings in bulk.....

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Best match

With a store  one should space the listings in a category over all 30 days of a cycle....

30 listings in a category... end one listing each day.

300 listings means ending 10 each day.

Best Match does focus on listings ending each day.... my view.

Do the same for each category in which one sells.

The listings that end bring in the views,  and if the potential buyer likes your store... They will establish a link to the store.

and... if it is done right,  people will come to your store first before they go elsewhere....The objective then becomes finding ways for people to like what you sell... compared to all other sellers in that category on eBay.

and perhaps find a category of inventory where there is a low or minimal level of competition.

A category works best if there are atleast 30 listings and more in that category... a way to establish a significant presence...... it also helps to stay away from cluttered and high competition categories...

unless one establishes a major level of visibility in a category effectively saying.... I AM HERE!

Listings in a store with GTC listings allows one to establish a significant presence on eBay... with a balance of listings spread across 30 days of a listing cycle... and then finding ways for Best Match to promote your store, and then sales....

Sales will stimulate Best Match  which in turn will or rather should create more sales.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply