Bid Cancelation Notices :(

Ok -- A little bit frustrated.... I am attempting to do 90% + of my Christmas shopping on eBay (focusing on buying from Canadian Sellers) and this weekend alone I have had two notices that I have had 2 bid cancellations 'because the product is no longer available' from 2 different sellers!

I know it is not my location (I'm in Canada & so are the sellers) & I know it is not because I am 'low rated' -- I am a Top Rated with 100% FB....

Anyone else having this issue? Or cancelling their auction listings early? -- if so, how come?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

We're the items an auction with a buy it now price? I'm assuming that's what happpened
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Because there were bids on the item(s) (my bids) the Buy it Now option was gone...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Maybe after you bid the seller had another shopper come along and offer to buy it at the Buy It Now price even thought your bids eliminated it. 

I'd be sure to avoid those sellers in the future. 

Or use Buy It now instead of playing the waiting and bidding game. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I really don't understand eBay auctions. Even though we've been in the auction business for some 30 years.

The idea of bidding on something in the hope that a week from now, you might win it puzzles me.

Especially when time is a factor like at Christmas.

Sniping is different.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hey when I auction things I LOVE people who bid a week before the end, they help drive the price up higher!

A buncha snipers at the end usually don't have nearly as good a result.

Doesn't really matter though, the auctions are soooooo quiet compared to 10 years ago, in those days it was fun to watch the bidding in the final 30 seconds.....

Nowadays it's uaually just "a sniper" pretty boring....
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Personally, I think the sniper services are what ruined ebay. 

I've never used one. If I want to win it, I sit there until the bitter end with my finger on the button, It's part of the thrill of bidding. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I mean, that sniper services ruined ebay auctions

Not all of ebay, I don't think that has been ruined. 

I think sniper software ruined the joy of auctions for buyers which, in turn, ruined the success of auctions for sellers. 

But that's only my opinion, with no scientific research to back it. Based on gut instinct only. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The thrill of auction in my opinion is partly in the competition and partly in the speed.

With eBay auctions the speed is missing  EXCEPT with sniping.

Leaving aside bidders who bid high and bid early (and who may be using a service to do so) those nibble bidders who hang on their computers with multiple screens constantly refreshing are still having the thrill. And since the auction will time out, the speed is still there.

But it is still the high bidder who wins, not the last bidder, and I think a lot of those nibblers just don't understand that, based partly on the complaints we constantly see on the Buyer Board and partly on our own live auctions where we get bidders trying to have the auctioneer re-open bidding when they were slower than the hammer.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

My problem is not with sniping. It's with the software that allows buyers do to it while absent. There's no thrill to be found with a sniper program, just a gloating kind of satisfaction after a win. It doesn't get the adrenaline rush. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Maybe after you bid the seller had another shopper come along and offer to buy it at the Buy It Now price even thought your bids eliminated it. 

I'd be sure to avoid those sellers in the future. 

Or use Buy It now instead of playing the waiting and bidding game. 

Once there is a bid, the buy-it-now button disappears from the auction, as the OP said. So in this case the seller with the auctions the OP bid on is the one who cancelled her bid, maybe because the seller is hoping to sell higher than the starting bid... or like you said, another buyer messaged the seller and offered to buy it at the original buy-it-now price. That sucks though, I'd be pretty annoyed if that happens to me. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I realize. I thought that's what I said. Are you clarifying something on my behalf that I left muddled? Or did you think I was saying something that contradicts this?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply