Buyer Outside of Specified Region

This is my first time selling on eBay and someone won an auction I had. Then they requested an invoice, so I go to fill out the information and it shows the Buyer name and Location. It says they're in Brazil and in the auction I had Ships to: Canada

What am I supposed to do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer Outside of Specified Region

@drewmartell wrote:

This is my first time selling on eBay and someone won an auction I had. Then they requested an invoice, so I go to fill out the information and it shows the Buyer name and Location. It says they're in Brazil and in the auction I had Ships to: Canada

What am I supposed to do?

Did you remember to exclude countries you do not wish to ship to in your "Site Preferences"?

You can find this preference under the "Account Tab - Site preferences - Buyer Requirements"

Simply listing Canada as the shipping destination does not stop folks from other places bidding/buying. You need to manually block the other countries in the preference I described.

If you had blocked/excluded the other countries then you need to call Ebay for help as it is a glitch. If you hadn't then you have 2 choices. As you hadn't exactly specified Brazil as a shipping destination you can contact the buyer and explain this and quote him the charge to ship the laptop to Brazil and hope it's too much and he wants to cancel the transaction.

You could also explain the situation to the buyer and then ask him to cancel the transaction.

Given how easily Ebay is handing out defects now you may well end up with one over this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

thd

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As eBay insists upon tracking for parcels, that is your way out. I looked in canadapost.com, ballparked some numbers, and got and Xpresspost for $138.

Package it up, weight, measure then send the customer the invoice with that total. When they ask for cheaper shipping, simply reply no.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm worried about shipping out of the country, that's why I selected Ships to: Canada only when I went through the selling procedure. 

So I just went into my account settings and blocked all other countries from bidding on my items but the issue remains with this one buyer who did not read the Ships to field on the item.

I've messaged the buyer saying I can only ship to Canada and if they had a Canadian address I could ship to but they have not responded in 3 days. Should I "Resolve a Problem" and select "I sold an item and want to cancel the transaction." or "I sold an item and haven't received my payment yet."? And would this cause me any problems using eBay in the future?

Thanks for the help so far.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You are not going to have much luck only selling inside Canada. 85 to 90% of our sales are outside of Canada. Our mistake in the beginning was to only sell within Canada as well. Almost nothing sold.

You need to send that laptop insured which is going to be really expensive to Brazil. When we sell a laptop we limit the countries to USA, Canada and Mexico. The reasons behind this are 1. the electric plug is for north america. 2. those are the only three countries that can be shipped to fully insured for a reasonable price ($39 to Mexico surface parcel) (you do not want to ship anywhere else abroad by surface, it takes to long and ebay refunds the buyer before it arrives)

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If you cancel the transaction you will receive a defect unless the reason that you use is that the buyer changed their mind/made mistake. Also, if the buyer denies the cancellation, you would not get your fees back and you would probably get a defect. Ideally, the buyer will write back to you and ask you to cancel the transaction so I would wait at least a week to give him a chance to reply. Unless you send an invoice with the shipping amount to that country, they won't be able to pay so you could use the 'buyer hasn't paid' option which would also cancel the transaction and then you would receive a credit for the ebay final value fees. The buyer would then receive an unpaid item strike which doesn't really seem fair as they probably just made a mistake by bidding. Is the buyer new and how many feedback do they have? You should think about selling to the U.S. as well as that it fairly easy to do and usually is low risk although make sure that you know ahead of time how you are going to ship the item and if it is an expensive item you should ship it with delivery confirmation.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

maximus7001 , you refer to surface parcel to Mexico - Is this insurable and tracked?  For a new seller I would advise them to stay far away from surface international as it isn't tracked and often takes way longer than the Post Office estimates.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

He has 0 feedback which made me weary as well. First they ignored the shipping destination rules of the auction, then they also have no feedback.

I've followed mr elmwood and treasurehunters advice and invoiced him with the large shipping fee to Brazil. I haven't heard back from him in 5 days. I'll wait until Friday then mark it as unpaid.

In the future I will probably ship within the country only and if I get comfortable enough with that, I may branch out to the US.

I think eBay should fix the system and not let bidders bid on items that don't ship to their country (without having to learn afterwards you must block other countries).

Message 8 of 8
latest reply