Buyer gives positive feedback then says item is defective

miklamot
Community Member

Seriously, why would someone give a positive feedback then change their mind a few days later. How does eBay go about refunding the buyer if they find in the their favour? Do they charge my credit card or take it out of my paypal?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Buyer gives positive feedback then says item is defective

" then change their mind a few days later."

Did the buyer communicate with you, directly or through PayPal, about the nature of the problem?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

they communicated through eBay. I was out of town for the last week so the buyer escalated and opened a case.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You really don't want eBay to make the decision because in the majority of cases the buyer will win and you will receive an unresolved case strike against you. You are not allowed to have more than a couple of those. It is usually best to tell the buyer to return the item for a refund. Since the buyer is claiming there is a problem/not as described, the seller has to pay for return shipping.  If the item is not expensive it might br better to refund and not require a return.

There could be a legitimate reaason for the change of heart....but even if there isn't fighting with the buyer about it rarely ends up well. I know tharpt it is frustrAting.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

thanks. He says the item is defective so no sense in paying for him to ship it back. I will just suck it up and refund him.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@miklamot wrote:
they communicated through eBay. I was out of town for the last week so the buyer escalated and opened a case.

Im not sure how that works then since they have already escalated. Hopefully you can still resolve it without getting a unresolved case defect.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As I understand the unresolved cases, if the seller refunds before eBay intervenes that doesn't count as unresolved, but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me....
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I believe you are right ricarmic.

OP- if the defect is one that would appear, ask the buyer for a photograph. If the item was very cheap (to you, the selling price is not relevant here) the refund on demand makes sense.

But overall, I agree that there is little point in arguing with an unhappy customer.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply