Buyer has bid on my item and now doesn't want to pay shipping because they want to do local pick up.

sdunes
Community Member

The buyer now wants me to send the invoice to him and omit the shipping, and pick up at a later date.   Would you cancel the order or go along with this. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer has bid on my item and now doesn't want to pay shipping because they want to do local pick up.

I'd say "no problem, when would you like to pick it up and you can pay me in cash when you do".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes.  Easy, peasy.  Meet at a local Tim Horton's to do the exchange for cash.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Local Pick-ups are not a terrible thing provided you are cool with that and accept CASH ONLY for the item. But do make arrangements to meet someplace very public if this is a person you don't know and have never done business with before.

Is this a big-ticket item we're talking about? If so, I'd actually have a buddy come too. And maybe hide in the car so I don't get jumped on the way to my car in the parking lot without having someone to turn to for help. And ask for small bills (nothing bigger than $20) so you don't get paid in counterfeit hundreds. Of course, I mean if it's an item that sells for hundred and hundreds of dollars. Before you think I'm paranoid, this is really what police say to do when selling stuff through the classifieds or whatever. Like the other site owned by ebay, kijiji. There have been instances of people being robbed for cash or goods when selling or buying iPhones etc. With me, selling diecast cars and LEGO it's not so cutthroat. Usually. 

Don't accept paypal for any Local Pickups. While there is considerable debate amongst us here on the discussion board whether the last round of updates allowing paypal Seller Protection to cover point-of-purchase payments means Local Pickups on ebay or just merchant services like some of the brick-and-mortar boutiques or pop-up stores might use, think of it this way: how would you prove to paypal the buyer got their goods without tracking from a third party? You'd have nothing on your side in a case of Item Not Received 170 days later. No proof of delivery means you lose. 

For the record, however, it's rude for a buyer to make a purchase and assume they can just come and get it instead of pay for shipping. Those questions really should be asked first. If you cancel, be certain to call ebay to make sure they've got your back and you don't end up with a defect for it. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

sdunes
Community Member

The buyer wants to pay with pay pal so I am going to cancel thanks for your feedback

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Cash for pick-ups, tell them that. No PayPal. Many times the buyer means well by offering to pay first, fetch later but there's also the handling time defect for you to think about. If it seems likely your buyer will be angered by the cancellation, call eBay to make sure they've got your back against bad feedback etc if you do decide to cancel.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The buyer shouldn't leave negative feedback, it never stated local pick up in auction, I don't think they should have bid in the first place.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@sdunes wrote:

The buyer shouldn't leave negative feedback, it never stated local pick up in auction, I don't think they should have bid in the first place.

I agree.  And if the buyer does leave negative FB, be clear when contacting eBay that your listing did not state local pick-up as an option.  They should be able to take a look and see for themselves that this was the case. 

By the way, I have to mention here what our little town of Annapolis Royal did for local pick-ups on things like eBay or Kijiji sales.  They officially designated the town's police station as the neutral pick-up/payment spot.  What a great idea.  Any serious issues -- just apply down the hall.  And who is going to get into a loud argument when the cops are just a few feet away? Woman Very Happy

Message 8 of 8
latest reply