Buyer wants to pick up

I recently sold an item here. The buyer in not in the same area as me but says he has friends in my area and can they pick the item up to save on shipping cost. I do not want to do this. Is know there is a policy of buying/selling outside of Ebay. Is there a specific policy addressing direct pick up rather than shipping I can quote when responding to his question? I tried to find myself but did not have much luck in the ocean of policy. Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re:Buyer wants to pick up

Hi .. If listing didn't offer pickup and buyer didn't ask before buying than under no obligation to agree.

I think i would change my shipping terminology from "economy shipping" if i was charging $20/30.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Usually buyers like to do pickups because they do not expect to pay shipping.

There is no rule against allowing pickup and eBay also allows you to accept cash on pickup. (Actually, you should ONLY accept cash on pickup. No Paypal and no cheques.) So the seller saves PP and shipping FWF.

My concern would be that the buyer would not be picking up, but his "friends". The friends cannot inspect the item before paying, and have less interest in keeping appointments.

If you do decide to go with pickup, tell your buyer that you will be at some public location (Tim Horton's would be my choice if I wanted the p/u, your church after Sunday service if the p/u is unwanted.) The presence of witnesses to preclude funny business and the non-home location to emphasize that this is a special thing for you.

But you are not required to accept his proposal. You could politely tell him that your hours at home are erratic and that he will get his parcel faster and more securely if you mail it. Then offer to cancel his bid/ the transaction if he does not want shipping.

You can end a transaction by Mutual Cancellation, which allows feedback to be left, or by Unpaid Item Dispute which does not allow feedback. Your decision depends on the tone he has been taking.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi .. If listing didn't offer pickup and buyer didn't ask before buying than under no obligation to agree.

I think i would change my shipping terminology from "economy shipping" if i was charging $20/30.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Usually buyers like to do pickups because they do not expect to pay shipping.

There is no rule against allowing pickup and eBay also allows you to accept cash on pickup. (Actually, you should ONLY accept cash on pickup. No Paypal and no cheques.) So the seller saves PP and shipping FWF.

My concern would be that the buyer would not be picking up, but his "friends". The friends cannot inspect the item before paying, and have less interest in keeping appointments.

If you do decide to go with pickup, tell your buyer that you will be at some public location (Tim Horton's would be my choice if I wanted the p/u, your church after Sunday service if the p/u is unwanted.) The presence of witnesses to preclude funny business and the non-home location to emphasize that this is a special thing for you.

But you are not required to accept his proposal. You could politely tell him that your hours at home are erratic and that he will get his parcel faster and more securely if you mail it. Then offer to cancel his bid/ the transaction if he does not want shipping.

You can end a transaction by Mutual Cancellation, which allows feedback to be left, or by Unpaid Item Dispute which does not allow feedback. Your decision depends on the tone he has been taking.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply