Buyer with 0 feedback and brand new account bought my item. Tips ?

gabskate123
Community Member

So a brand new account made today, just bought a 500$ iPhone 5S.

I usually have buyers with 20+ feedbacks, but it's a first.

Is there anything I should do to completely avoid scams ?

I already somewhat have a plan which is the following :

• 500$ insurance.

• Signature on delivery

• Keep the receipt

• Note the phone's serial number & IMEI

Anything else ?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@gabskate123 wrote:

So a brand new account made today, just bought a 500$ iPhone 5S.

I usually have buyers with 20+ feedbacks, but it's a first.

Is there anything I should do to completely avoid scams ?

I already somewhat have a plan which is the following :

• 500$ insurance.

• Signature on delivery

• Keep the receipt

• Note the phone's serial number & IMEI

Anything else ?

My first concern would be where the buyer is located. There are some areas/countries that I would simply refuse to ship to with this type of item and would cancel the sale.

You can also set up your account so that people without PayPal accounts cannot bid on your items or purchase. Most scammers do not have PayPal accounts.

In this case, I would open a dialog with the buyer before ever shipping and see what kind of feeling you get from the responses. Cellphones is one of the absolute worst categopries for scammers on both ends of the dealing.

Cheers,

thD

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the answer. Surprisingly enough, after 2 years of selling iPhones, I've never got scammed. 

The seller is located in Boston, United-States. So I'm guessing that it's somewhat a bit more "legit" than someone living in India, for instance.

Would you mind quickly explaining how to setup my listings so people without PayPal accounts can't bid/buy ?

Cheers

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You do not know that the buyer is new. Could be someone who has been around for 15 years and started a new ID just to buy the phone, for any number of reasons.

You do not know the buyer is in Boston, just a ship to address is.I have shipped all over South America, Central America, and the Caribbean without knowing where as all the parcels go to Miami and Port Richy. Freight forwarders.

Paypal Acct Required is under seller preferences down where you choose countries to not ship to. You can also block buyers who have a PP acct in a country you do not want to sell to.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks a lot for the tips, have a nice day ! 🙂
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If someone is dishonest they are going to scam whether or not they have a Paypal account so I don't think limiting sales to people with Paypal accounts makes a difference.

Blocking those without Paypal accounts also blocks anyone who has a paypal account that is not linked to their ebay account.

I know that some sellers are wary of zero feedback buyers but in my experience they are not any more likely than a 1000 feedback buyer to cause a problem.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If someone is dishonest they are going to scam whether or not they have a Paypal account so I don't think limiting sales to people with Paypal accounts makes a difference.

Blocking those without Paypal accounts also blocks anyone who has a paypal account that is not linked to their ebay account.

I know that some sellers are wary of zero feedback buyers but in my experience they are not any more likely than a 1000 feedback buyer to cause a problem.

I do believe requiring a PP account will block all one time buyers as they do not necessarily have a PP account. There are many buyers who open a "guest account", or what ever it is called, just for a one time purchase.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@gabskate123 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. Surprisingly enough, after 2 years of selling iPhones, I've never got scammed. 

The seller is located in Boston, United-States. So I'm guessing that it's somewhat a bit more "legit" than someone living in India, for instance.

Would you mind quickly explaining how to setup my listings so people without PayPal accounts can't bid/buy ?

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason i didn't get notification of your reply/question.

To disable people without a PayPal account ability to purchase you simply need to go to your main sellin gpage and click on the "Account" tab and select "Site Preferences". When that page opens look for the category titled "Buyer Requirements". To the far right click on "Show" and then click on "Edit" When the "Edit" page opens all will be revealed lol. When the edit page opens you will see all the criteria that you can set up in so far as the buyer requirements are concerned. You should be good to go from there.

Hope that helps and again, apologies for the tardy response.

Cheers,

thD

Message 8 of 8
latest reply