CD sellers, I need yer help

Online auction "5000 USED ASSTD CDs "

Any value here? Really, this is everything I will know.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I'm not one of them but I do remember one of them saying "titles are everything"......

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Pretty much everything I know is 5000, high bid is $2, ends next Wed evening. I think ya can find the listing with the info I have provided.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

the listing specifies pick up only (Mississauga, ON)

I am curious.  How big / heavy is a 5,000 cd lot?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

40-50kg

Probably cost more in fees/postage to sell them individually here then they  would gross.    If they aren't really new, or really obscure they aren't worth much

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

40-50kg

Probably cost more in fees/postage to sell them individually here then they  would gross.    If they aren't really new, or really obscure they aren't worth much

Well your weight calculation is a bit on the low side........would be more like 600kg and about 32 Cubic Feet (2 pallets)

I looked at that listing, from what I can see the titles are junk, there are at least a portion which are still sealed but my guess would be that 75% would go straight to the trash, the rest might work as penny auctions but it would be a lot of work.

For a flea market stall or used cd store start up it might be good temporary filler!

Fortunately in Toronto you can now recycle both the cases and booklets so that only means finding a dumpster for most of the actual discs! My fingers are sore just thinking about breaking down thousands of cd's never mind loading them and unloading them.

I'm just about finished moving 12,000kg of records, cd's and tapes from one basement storage location to another..........I'm not interested, I already have more than enough unsaleable garbage!

I suppose on a lark for less than $100 I might be intrigued but I'd surely like to just skim through and cherry pick the hundred or so that might actually sell and leave the rest right on the loading dock. Somehow I doubt Auctionmaxx will let you do that.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hey Toby, that's funny, when I quote you your official eBay user name gets bleeped!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I never considered the weight. Good point. 440 klik round trip for me. It would cost me an extra $35 in gas to take Melvin. Gas is just a cost of doing business.  I triple up my trips, so, I would not go just for this. I can't ask my friend in Toronto pick these up for me, his wife would give ME the evil eye.

I will watch them. Sometimes the price is right and sometimes the price goes insane.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

oops I did miss a zero there.   Was thinking a little under 100gm each and couldn't multiply.  I woudlnt want an unknown lot that big  of music/dvds or even games now for free with how little they go for.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I never considered the weight. Good point. 440 klik round trip for me. It would cost me an extra $35 in gas to take Melvin. Gas is just a cost of doing business.  I triple up my trips, so, I would not go just for this. I can't ask my friend in Toronto pick these up for me, his wife would give ME the evil eye.

I will watch them. Sometimes the price is right and sometimes the price goes insane.

There is some potential profit there, but it's a pig-in-a-poke type deal, so if I was interested in dealing with half a ton of mostly used product my top offer price would max out at around 2.5 cents/item. Working with an assumption that 90% of the cds would turn out to be junk titles.

My preference is to know what's really there. My last cd batch I picked up were unopened belly dance music cds that the local thrift shop had at $1/unit. I figured not common, probably not much competition for a niche market, and new, so worth the risk. And I guessed right. About 40% junk titles, the rest sold with an average $8-10 profit margin.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

They are at $101 now with four days to go. I'm gonna pass.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You have always said " You make Your Profit When You Buy The Item ", something I have always remembered.

I take it the margins would be too low once you have factored in your time.

The eBay & PayPal Fee Calculator comes in handy also. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply