Calculated shipping rates question.

OK I just sold a listing I had.  EBay produced error for shipping. "Shipping cannot be calculated".  I called EBay and they told me it was a software glitch and that they would look into the issue.

After further review I read that package has to be a minimum for the calculated shipping to work.
  The posting I read was old and I am just looking for confirmation from any listeners.

Please provide assistance on the shipping rules for packages to be sent within Canada and also the US so the calculated  shipping will work. 

Given this glitch I posted a note in the listing providing flat rate for the shipping.  I was not able to update the shipping since I had already uploaded the listing. So now I have to go to post office to confirm shipping charge.  The buyer was not happy with flat rate since he lived close to me.  He thought the $20 was too much.  I am using a Canada Post cardboard mailing container.  It s size is 5.5"x5.5"x5.5"

I presume Canada Post is the carrier to choose for shipping within Canada.

Please shed some light on this so I don't have to go through this hastle again, 

Thanks and I look forward to your replies.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Calculated shipping rates question.

Distance does not have a lot to with pricing. For an eg, across the country is $11.50, while across the street is $8.50. What can come into play is how often a parcel is handled. Straight down the Trans Canada is one price. When the parcel needs re-sorting to go to other communities, the price starts going up.

"this hassle" will be replaced with other hassles. You just get used to solving new problems. You learn how to make boxes for free from scrap cardboard. You learn sizes and weight as that impacts pricing. Learn to use Paypal Shipping as that reduces your shipping costs.

We have all been exactly where you are. There is no substitute for experience and learning.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hi Bruce: Yours is not a question that can be easily answered. In order to help you with this particular parcel we would need to know the weight of the parcel, your postal code and the customers postal code.

There are many options available. I used the Canada Post Site linked below to look things up and also did a lot of searching on the Canada Post site to find Delivery Standards and Parcel Specifications for each of the different services available. When I kind of had it sorted out in my head which method I would use to ship on a permanent basis then I started using the shipping calculator and used the Canada Post site to Double check what the calculator was coming up with.

I also double checked here at the forum as I had questions along the way. There are a few tricks to cut down on postage costs and also ebay fees, but to get you started on this particular parcel try this Canada Post site and see if it helps.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e3s1

Hope it helps

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the link.  I have already been to the link and have entered in my dimensions/weight.  Regular parcel seems to be the way to go as it is the cheapest.

My concern is just how accurate those costs are.  To be sure I am going to a post office today to compare.

The parcel dimensions are 5.5"x5.5"x5.5" and weight is 10.7oz.  Also the calculator will not accept the weight.  I convert it to kg which works out to 0.3033399.  It does not accept decimal numbers.  What am I doing wrong?

My postal code is K2G 5X1 and my buyers is M8Y 4G8

I just think calculated shipping is best as it will be added to invoice without any modifications from me.  I just don't want it to miscalculate and have my buyer pay too much or not enough.  And I want EBay to do the dirty work calculating full price(including shipping). 

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Do not use inches and ounces. CP is metric.

I got results changing everything to metric.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Metric -- everything else will be inaccurate.

You may find a small disconnect between Canada Post and USPS dimensions for very similar parcels. If so just add a centimetre to the size in the Canadian side. This corrects the problem without changing the rate.

I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the services this applies to , I think it is Small Packet. Someone younger and smarter will probably come along to help.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Metric -- everything else will be inaccurate.

You may find a small disconnect between Canada Post and USPS dimensions for very similar parcels. If so just add a centimetre to the size in the Canadian side. This corrects the problem without changing the rate.

I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the services this applies to , I think it is Small Packet. Someone younger and smarter will probably come along to help.

Than you? Not possible. Certainly not better looking, either.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks. How did you work the weight. I converted to kg and it came to 0.30334 which the calculator does not accept. Says it has to be in the form 99.999.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Too many decimal places. Try .303
Photobucket
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

That did it. Thanks for your help.

One more question. Is this calculator accurate? Reason being I would like to tell my buyer right away the cost of shipping rather than letting him wait until I go to post office to confirm.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yes and no. Postage paid at the counter is different than postage paid on Paypal Shipping. PS is cheaper.

Three levels of pricing:

- at the counter
- Venture 1
- Paypal shipping.

I do not know how calculated shipping works as I have never, and will never, use it. I use flat rate.

There is never only one more question.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

If you always use flat rate then how much would you charge such that it would be fair for buyers close to you as opposed to buyers that live far away. Wouldnt it cut into your profits?
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Sometimes I make a buck, sometimes lose a buck. eBay is not about fair, it is about buying and selling. My sales breakdown:

- Canada 5%
- Int 5%
- USA 90%

Where do you think I should focus my attention? My own province accounts for less than 1% of my sales.

I compete against Americans and I price point. My widget plus shipping hits a price I want advertised. Plus, my total price to a Cdn is always less than what an American seller charges.

I make my profit when I acquire the widget, not when I sell it.
Photobucket
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

As far as I know the shipping calculator on canadapost.ca is accurate however as stated, there are discounts if you use paypal shipping to print your label. On paypal shipping, expedited parcel Canada and USA is about 18% less expensive than what you would pay at the counter for regular parcel. Tracked packet USA and international has a discount of about 14% and Xpresspost is 8-9% off.Lettermail isn't available on Paypal and there is no discount for small or light packet.

If you want to check the price for a specific address go to paypal.com/shipnow You have to enter the proper city, province and postal code but you can enter nonsense in the name and address fields. Fill in the weight and dimensions, continue to the next page and you will see the price. As long as you don't go any further than that and click on pay now, you won't be charged for the label.

As far as using calculated or a flat rate....I think that it is a good idea to start out with calculated and you can decide later on if calculated or flat rate would work better for you.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

PJ, I was trying to frame my answer around the concept of "one more question" or the insane idea of knowing everything before starting.

There are simply far too many variables that can combine into some of the insanest combinations.

Bruce, when you have all the answers and have it all figured out, come back and tell us.
Photobucket
Message 15 of 15
latest reply