Can I buy an item in an auction early??

caper_6
Community Member

I want to purchase an item that was put up for auction. The auction has 2 bids on it already,, they've passed the reserve bid,, the seller says he would sell it to at an agreed upon price if he could. Is there anyway that we can get out of the auction so he can sell it me , Buy it Now or something, on here??

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

He can do it. But it would be stupid. There will only be a couple of days difference in arrival time, so why not just bid?

I don’t know why a seller would agree, but he can cancel the bids of the members who have actually offered him money, end the auction, and sell to you in a private listing.

Since he has no idea what the maximum bid of the current high bidder is, this would not be a smart move on his part. Especially since he will pay a fee to eBay based on that high bid as a penalty for cancelling an auction that has bidders. And further considering that those early bidders could easily be outbid by last minute snipers.

If the seller indicates that he has multiple items, you can use Contact Seller to ask him to set up a private listing for you at the price and shipping the two of you agree is acceptable. If he agrees, suggest that he use your user ID as the title of a fixed price listing. This is the most reliable way to keep other bidders away.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you are the high bidder the seller can end his auction early and sell it to you at what your bid is now,

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

He can do it. But it would be stupid. There will only be a couple of days difference in arrival time, so why not just bid?

I don’t know why a seller would agree, but he can cancel the bids of the members who have actually offered him money, end the auction, and sell to you in a private listing.

Since he has no idea what the maximum bid of the current high bidder is, this would not be a smart move on his part. Especially since he will pay a fee to eBay based on that high bid as a penalty for cancelling an auction that has bidders. And further considering that those early bidders could easily be outbid by last minute snipers.

If the seller indicates that he has multiple items, you can use Contact Seller to ask him to set up a private listing for you at the price and shipping the two of you agree is acceptable. If he agrees, suggest that he use your user ID as the title of a fixed price listing. This is the most reliable way to keep other bidders away.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply