Can we still list on .com?

I sold on eBay for 10 years and did all my listings on .com.  Now I am looking into listing for my employer.   An eBay help center person told me today that the rules have changed and that I risk have .com listings deleted if my ship from address is in Canada.  This is actually not a problem because we have a US P.O. Box and already have a USPS shipping process.

However, I have found that eBay support is not very knowledgeable about Canadian seller issues and am very skeptical about the information that I was given this morning.  Does anyone know if this is indeed true?

Also, can .com listings be done with a .ca store subscription?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Can we still list on .com?

Yes, you can still list on .com in US dollars but you won't have Cdn shipping options. You will have to use flat rate from Canada unless you ship from a US location. You can be located in Canada and list on .com and your items will not be deleted. I list on .com myself. As usual, the CS rep had no clue.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I list on com with a CDN address. Do not phone anyone, ask here.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

"An eBay help center person told me today that the rules have changed and that I risk have .com listings deleted if my ship from address is in Canada"

Unfortunately whoever you spoke to at eBay is an IDIOT and should be fired.  That answer had nothing to do with reality.

Canadians and all international sellers from around the world can sell on eBay.com in US$.

The challenge is to apply a fixed shipping charge to the USA (and elsewhere if you ship overseas) when shipping from Canada, unless you sell on a "free shipping" basis like the majority of Americans..

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

'Canada? What state is that in?' said every ebay CSR ever.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@direct_laine wrote:
Also, can .com listings be done with a .ca store subscription?

Yes.

Advantage: Save the difference in the exchange rate for the monthly store fee

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This is actually not a problem because we have a US P.O. Box and already have a USPS shipping process.

Will you ship from the USA?

In that case, you can use Calculated Shipping, even if you are listing from Canada.

If your items use Parcel Rates, Calculated Shipping is very important.

If your items are less than 500 grams and 2cm thick packaged, you can use Flat Rate shipping.

If you are using Flat Rate Shipping, consider the advantages of so-called Free Shipping.

This just means including the cost of shipping and packaging in the asking price for the widget you are selling.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"but you won't have Cdn shipping options" 

Was that something that was ever available?  It's been about 3 years since I sold on .com and I always had to us flat rate.  As far as I knew, the shipping calculator was available on .ca only and from what I heard was not all that accurate.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks everyone!  I am breathing so much easier now!  I still have a lot of stuff to sell myself am itching to get back to selling again!  You guys are all awesome...  have missed you guys!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

As far as I knew, the shipping calculator was available on .ca only

That's right. The site calculators are all attached to the postal (and courier) systems on the site's nation.

It's amazing how many sellers can't figure that out.

and from what I heard was not all that accurate.

I've never had a problem.

Use metric measurements though. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and everything else is guesswork.

If you put in the right dimensions and weight , you get the right cost.

I think the problem comes in because Canada Post charges GST and a fuel surcharge on postage which increases the amount the seller pays, but Paypal on some parcel services has a discount from PO counter prices of 5% to 17%.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply