Can you guys help me understand people's complaint about having to list in CAD?

Suppose I normally listed Generic Video Game in US funds on ebay.ca, typically charging $25 USD + shipping. I just found out that I'll soon have to list it in CAD. Why is this such a frustrating problem for me? After all, if I list in CAD, I get paid for that item in CAD, regardless of the buyer's location, so I'm not losing anything on the exchange. Is it because $25 USD is worth a slightly varying amount of CAD, depending on the day's fluctuation in the exchange rate? If that's the case, that could sometimes bump my listings off the top of the "lowest price" list filter, but if I happen to have a sale going, that probably puts it back to the top anyway.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Can you guys help me understand people's complaint about having to list in CAD?

Also, as a Canadian I can only list on .ca and .com, I looked into listing on .co.uk as the UK market for stationery is quite large, but you must be a resident of the UK to list on ebay UK. Basically, it would just be a lot more convenient if all of my listings were in the same currency.  Now I will have 1/2 in USD (those listed on .com) and 1/2 in CAD (those on .ca).  I"m not going to freak out and stop selling on ebay, but it will be annoying to change all of my .ca listings, and to keep my eye on the exchange rate every day.  

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Re: Can you guys help me understand people's complaint about having to list in CAD?

@hlmacdon wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The bottom line is that it is a business decision based on money. Nothing to do at all with technical reasons.

Do you think that it will be easier for them to implement things like Promotions Manager with just one currency?

Read all of Rodney's posts. He is quite clear that eliminating the dual currency means delayed features or features not akin to the .com equivalent will be able to be pushed forward as they no longer have that issue holding them back from implementing changes and having to make a business request for something tailored to suit .ca's dual currency setup.

I will change my comment from nothing to do to little to do.

I saw Rodneys posts about technical issues delaying implementation of features. But I think given all factors, it just was a business decision based on costs. From the study, the conclusion was the majority of items and categories had a higher number of sales with Can $. So to continue dual currency made no sense since it gave little advantage to Canadian sellers. And that decision may have been made by eBay and not eBay.ca Canada once they had the study. The beancounters in the eBay head office may have made the decision.

But this is speculation and the ebay.ca Canada system is going to Can $. Nothing will change that decision.

By the way, as you know eBay.ca Canada is a bilingual English French site.  I was told a few times in the past that delays in features on eBay.com being implemented were caused by having to translate the system interface text into French (Quebec French). From what I see, the eBay system is quite modular and language is a module. The same listing shell is used and any language can be placed into this shell.

eBay.ca was a complicated site with US and Can $, English and French. I think the Belgium eBay site is the only other bilingual site.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

As a Canadian I CANNOT use the Calculator on EBAY.COM

I want to keep selling in USD for several reasons, all of which have been explained already in the thread.

My main problem with this whole ordeal is that I use the shipping Calculator for almost all my listings. This is the only way I can charge the true shipping cost to my costumers wherever they live. As a Canadian it seems I cannot use the calculator on ebay.com.

This.. Really.. Sucks..  Hope a solution to this comes up.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pierre, "Mr. Know Better" (I am not insulting you but you seem to be like that all the time).  It is a FACT!!  US buyers are not happy having to pay in Canadian currency.  That is what it happened to me the last 3 days right after I get the free listing promos and I listed about 200 and bam, I get those buyers whining.

I am not here to write untrue stories, so Pierre please be a gentleman and listen and accept or shut up.  Thanks.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@maxwar82 wrote:

As a Canadian I CANNOT use the Calculator on EBAY.COM

I want to keep selling in USD for several reasons, all of which have been explained already in the thread.

My main problem with this whole ordeal is that I use the shipping Calculator for almost all my listings. This is the only way I can charge the true shipping cost to my costumers wherever they live. As a Canadian it seems I cannot use the calculator on ebay.com.

This.. Really.. Sucks..  Hope a solution to this comes up.

I replied in your other post on how to use Flat rate shipping on eBay.com. Most of your items are small and will work well if they use Lettermail/Light Packet.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Possible-to-use-Shipping-calculator-on-ebay-com/m-p/33125...

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

I have had a few US buyers that were mystified about another dollar currency. It seems that they think that there is only one kind of dollar, a US dollar.

These are the same types that ask silly questions like what day is your christmas? There are more of them than you would think.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

"but you must be a resident of the UK to list on ebay UK. "

You have been misinformed.  Canadians and all other eBay sellers worldwide can list on eBay.uk.  I do it regularly.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

There has never been an Ebay change that Pierre hasn't liked. Ebay could raise their FVF to 50% and Pierre would be trying to sell us that it is a good change for sellers! Most likely a paid shill for Ebay!

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

"There has never been an Ebay change that Pierre hasn't liked."

That is a stupid comment by someone who quite obviously does not know.

If you do not like the message, discuss the message, do not attack the messenger.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@cooltoycars wrote:

There has never been an Ebay change that Pierre hasn't liked. Ebay could raise their FVF to 50% and Pierre would be trying to sell us that it is a good change for sellers! Most likely a paid shill for Ebay!

I don't always agree with Pierre but he has often publicly disagreed with some of the things that eBay has done or changes that they have made. At times he has been a lot more vocal about it than some of us have been.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"but you must be a resident of the UK to list on ebay UK. "

You have been misinformed.  Canadians and all other eBay sellers worldwide can list on eBay.uk.  I do it regularly.

Could you give me some information about how you do this? I tried to open an account on .co.uk and needed proof of address, and a UK phone number to receive a 4 digit code to open the account.

I know I can pay 10¢ to list on .co.uk without showing up at the bottom of the page, but I don't know how to get any free listings on ebay.co.uk, which I would be very interested in doing! 

Cheers!

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

"I tried to open an account on .co.uk"

Huge misconception here.  One does not need a different account to sell on eBay.uk or eBay.fr or eBay.com

The same eBay.ca seller account allows you to list on ALL eBay sites in the local currency of that site

To test, simply log in on eBay.co.uk and list an item in Sterling.  It is basically the same as listing on .ca or .com except for the currency and shipping method.

Do not waste your money with the "international visibility option"

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to do a test run tonight and see how it goes. 

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

I already have 17 US buyers whining about having to pay in CAD $$$$ this week!!  2 wanted to cancel their orders.  -- honeybed

Then list your items in USD on dotCOM.

There is nothing preventing you from doing this.

You would be giving up the use of Calculated Shipping, which is valuable for bulky or highvalue/high fraud items where tracking in vital, but gaining back the confidence of your US buyers.

Since you use a posting ID, we don't know what you sell, how bulky it is, how often you make multiple sales or the value of your items. Those are the criteria for choosing your shipping methods.

In my opinion, the currency is less important to the seller than the shipping services she needs.

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I already have 17 US buyers whining about having to pay in CAD $$$$ this week!!  2 wanted to cancel their orders.  -- honeybed

Then list your items in USD on dotCOM.

There is nothing preventing you from doing this.

You would be giving up the use of Calculated Shipping, which is valuable for bulky or highvalue/high fraud items where tracking in vital, but gaining back the confidence of your US buyers.

Since you use a posting ID, we don't know what you sell, how bulky it is, how often you make multiple sales or the value of your items. Those are the criteria for choosing your shipping methods.

In my opinion, the currency is less important to the seller than the shipping services she needs.

You do not give up tracking on ebay.com when using Flat Rate shipping and generic shipping options. If you use a Canada Post Shipping option with tracking, you still have tracking. What you may lose is the automatic insertion of the tracking number in the eBay System from PayPal and that is easily added manually in you ebay sales record.

From what I have read in these forums, a Canada Post tracking number can be entered manually in the tracking number on a eBay.com sale and it will still work. Someone correct me if I am wrong about the CP tracking number working on ebay.com.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

What you may lose is the automatic insertion of the tracking number in the eBay System from PayPal and that is easily added manually in you ebay sales record.

No, you don't lose that. The tracking number on a Paypal label automatically gets entered on eBay regardless of where the listing was done. If for some reason there is a glitch and it isn't entered automatically,  yes it can be entered manually.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

What you may lose is the automatic insertion of the tracking number in the eBay System from PayPal and that is easily added manually in you ebay sales record.

No, you don't lose that. The tracking number on a PayPal label automatically gets entered on eBay regardless of where the listing was done. If for some reason there is a glitch and it isn't entered automatically,  yes it can be entered manually.

Thanks for the clarification. I was not sure on this as I mentioned.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply