Canada Post shipping

Hi all.

On January 13/2014 Canada Post increased the cost of shipping by "light packet USA" by 43.5% . It went from $2.99 to $4.28 cnd including taxes for weights up to 150 grams. Call Canada Post ands they claim increase was only 3.1%. PayPal has no information on the increase and even did a conference call to Canada Post with myself and got the old ....pass the buck treatment from Can Post.

Canada post offers another service called "Other letter mail USA' . my local post office says it can only be paper documents in a paper envelope for this service and does not require a CN22 customs declaration.

I call Canada post and get 3 different people all giving different answers about what can & cannot be shipped using "Other Letter mail USA" and 3 different answers about what customs documentation is needed. Customer service directs me to 2 different sections of the Canada Post website that both give conflicting definitions of this service and what is required.

Does anyone ship items other than documents from Canada to the continental USA using "Other Letter mail USA" service (cost $2.20+tax)  using the standard CN22 form ???

I'm trying to find a way to avoid a big increase in my customers shipping costs.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Canada Post shipping

Different viewpoint. My parcel shipping cost went up "3.1%". In the same period, the Cdn dollar dropped 3%. I am even on shipping.

The Cdn dollar has lost 10% in the last 12 months. I am making that back on shipping and widget price. I am ahead.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

"Different viewpoint. My parcel shipping cost went up "3.1%". In the same period, the Cdn dollar dropped 3%. I am even on shipping.'

You realize responding to everyone's post about the letter/light increases of ~40% to say yours isnt going up doesn't change the fact that theirs is going up 40%, right?

CP has always been like that OP, years ago they had someone post right here and had someone who couldn't maintain a consistent answer from one post to the next 2 minutes later.   So they had more execs show up here next time and it wasn't any better

You aren't supposed to send goods by letterpost, but lots do with no problem.  Separating them was just a unique to CP way of increasing rates.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

You do realize that those that make general sweeping remarks about huge postal increases doesn't change the fact that after currency changes, mine have gone down.

Oh! Wait! Decreasing costs is not a permissible viewpoint.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

???

Where did the op make a general sweeping statement about anything???

"light packet is increasing 40%."...fact that was stated  

Your post pointing out you rates aren't going up (for the umpteenth time) had nothing to do with the op.  Comes across as trolling to repeatedly respond to people mentioning that their rates are going way up that yours aren't (yet).   That isnt a different perspective, its a different size of item.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

You are not supposed to use lettermail for sending anything but documents (paper) outside Canada, but I really don't know how this is monitored, or in fact whether it's monitored at all. 

I sell a lot of sewing patterns, which are, strictly speaking, paper documents.  I occasionally send smaller, less expensive ones by lettermail to the US.  Normally though I use Light Packet so that I can use the Paypal online labelling and have the CL22 included.

It would be interesting to know what the actual repercussions would be for a non-document sent by lettermail that got "caught" by CP authorities (if such a thing is even possible).  I've never seen or heard anyone reporting such an incident.  Would the item simply be returned to the sender?  Or the recipient asked to pay postage due (do they even do this anymore)?  Or, is it considered mail fraud -- because of the lack of customs declaration -- with more serious consequences? 

In any event, I would think if there is actually any monitoring, an item going to the US that doesn't look or feel like documents (lumpy, uneven contents) could get pulled. 

I know there has been discussion on these boards over the "rip off" of Light Packet rates because essentially that mail goes through the same stream as letter mail.  There is some merit in those arguments.  Yet I wonder if the extra cost is justified because Light Packet items do have to be routed through foreign Customs, creating an extra step in handling. 

There is a savings in the 2014 Light Packet rates, in that the 100-150gm weight range is cheaper than previously (a lot of my items fall into that weight).  I'll use those savings to cover shipping increases in the 151+ range, so I won't have to increase those rates.  You might be able to do the same if a percentage of your items falls into the 100-150 gram weight category. 

Also, as 'Mr. E.'  says, there is the additional savings inherent in the lower Canadian dollar, which I'm also using to help keep my buyers' shipping costs at the 2011 level.   

I noticed on a couple of your listings that shipping within Canada is shown as $0.75.  At this cost, why not offer free shipping to Canada, and save a few cents in FVFs on shipping every time you make a US sale?  You might also increase your Canadian sales too, which would help to offset the US shipping costs.  I don't know what your Canada vs. US sales proportions are, but if you sell more to the US, these little savings can be significant.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

my local post office says it can only be paper documents in a paper envelope for this service and does not require a CN22 customs declaration.

They are right although the specification is supposed to be for documents that are not 'purchases' so Rose's patterns are supposed to go light packet. However, I would seriously consider sending something that is flat like that and not obviously a non document by lettermail rather than light packet.  They may send the item back and ask for more postage but unless the items is bulky (and maybe not even then) I think that the chance of that happening is slim.

Just in case you don't know..... letterpost rates will go up in March so they will be closer to the new light packet rates.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

"On January 13/2014 Canada Post increased the cost of shipping by "light packet USA" by 43.5% ."

... and the cost of shipping the same envelope (same size/weight) by letterpost will go up March 31st.

There is an unusual timing difference this year when huge increases are involved for what is more or less the same service:

-letterpost to USA

-light packet to USA

- the first one meant for documents the second one for merchandise - both having to fit the 20mm maximum limit thickness.

A huge difference will be seen between the two services for eleven weeks until the new lettermail/letterpost rates come into effect.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

About the customs form....I have sent a few items by letterpost to the U.S. and overseas and have not put on a customs form as I didn't think it was required. However, another poster on here does use customs forms on letterpost. Neither of us have had our items returned so there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule to this. Considering you got different answers from different people at CP, it sounds as if noone really knows how it is supposed to work.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

"it sounds as if noone really knows how it is supposed to work."

The lack of adequate communication from Canada Post may have to do with them outsourcing 90% of their customer service representatives overseas:

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

They are technically right about the paper documents, but out to lunch on the paper envelopes. Poly envelopes are just fine.

I'd be avoiding anyone that uptight.

Buy stamps or print PP Light packet labels at home and drop your LP items into the mailbox instead of handing them across the counter.

The box is emptied by other staff, not the counter guys.

The guys at the terminal don't care.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

All this earnest talk by Rose-dee, Pierre and others would lead one to think that there is actually rhyme and reason to Canada Post's pricing. A look at the following table of prices to USA should scotch that notion (percentages are the difference between Other (O/S) Letter-post and Light Packet :

Prices eff. 13/1/14                       Prices eff. 31/3/14

O/S Let        LtPk                          O/S Let         LtPk

0-100 g           2.20            3.79  (+72%)             2.95              3.79  (+28%)

100-150 g       3.80            3.79  (same!!)           5.15              3.79  (-36%)

150-200 g       3.80            6.37  (+68%)             5.15              6.37  (+24%)

200-250 g       7.60            6.37  (-19%)             10.30             6.37  (-62%)  

250-500 g       7.60           10.66 (+40%)            10.30          10.66  (+3%)

This assumes, of course, that Lt Pkt rates will not change at the end of March. What's the betting that they won't?

Never forget that the inmates are still in charge at the Canada Post asylum.

Tom

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

I am waiting for light packet to totally be eliminated in favor of small packet. There is no need for both and CP eventually will get rid of it to save more dollars at our expense.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

There should never have been a Light Packet category in the first place.  Other (Non-standard and Oversize) Letter-post would have sufficed as it does in every other postal administration in the world AFAIK. Anything potentially dutiable would require a small green CN22 customs declaration.  As I, Toby (see above) and others have pointed out, Light Packet is an artifice concocted by Canada Post to generate more revenue - and even then they didn't get it right because some Lt Pkt rates are below Letter-post rates.

But you may well be right when you predict that CP will eliminate Lt Pkt in favour of Small Packet. Note that the rate for a Lt Pkt  to USA weighing between 250 and 500 g now equals that for a  Small Packet in the same weight range. There's no reduction in rates for a mailpiece that's less than 2 cm thick - another example of how Canada Post shafts us any chance they get. 

Tom

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

The 3.1% increase your referring to is part of Canada Post's "Five Point Action Plan" that has been posted on their website for weeks, and been a major national news topic on both Television & Radio. The 3.1 % increase is for residential services and paper documents only shipments.  If you use PayPal /eBay shipping & Canada Post light packet services the increase of 43.5% went into affect at 12:01am January 13/2014.  They did change the weight on the smallest size from 100grams max to 150 grams max.

I actually called PayPal at 9am ET and they had no knowledge of the increase and did a conference call with Can Post , the increase was confirmed and a we were told these a "glitch" in the system that had old rate info posted, but increased charges when you pay.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

Your right !  I think it may be on the way out now.  If you buy and print light packet USA thru paypal shipping it prints out now with Small Packet USA Air Mail at the top instead of Light Packet. I asked Can Post and they said both services go on the same truck, same planes, delivered by the same carriers and processed the same automated way as all the rest at the plants.

I tried to use the old green cn22 and was told it was discontinued for an updated version.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

The 3.1% increase your referring to is part of Canada Post's "Five Point Action Plan" that has been posted on their website for weeks, and been a major national news topic on both Television & Radio. The 3.1 % increase is for residential services and paper documents only shipments. 

I give up.

How can we ever have a reasone debate on the developing disaster that is Canada Post when nonsense such as the above is posted?

Tom

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

If you buy and print light packet USA thru paypal shipping it prints out now with Small Packet USA Air Mail at the top instead of Light Packet.

The label for light packet has always said small packet at the top.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings,

I have been selling collectible Nunavut license plates for about a year or so.
My payments have gone from being held for 3 weeks to being instant twice over.
I have received two e-mails about low DSR due to low rating under "shipping and handling charges".

When I receive a plate, I generate and print a shipping label in PayPal. 

The amount I am charged to do this is always discounted, which I state in my descriptions that if the buyer wants to save a bit, to either request an invoice or wait for me to send one. 

4/5 times, the buyer pays before I can send an invoice.

The smallest envelope I could find to put the plate in is 33x25. 

When selecting shipping services, I only have Canada Post Regular Parcel, Expedited and XpressPost. 

All of which include free delivery notification (I won't ship without tracking).
I specify "Parcel" instead of "Letter". 

The plate is about 0.185g.

I have received questions from buyers asking why shipping is so much when from others it is $6.
I even had one buyer state they received 2 plates from Vancouver and the shipping was $2.
I live in Nova Scotia.  To send a plate to Ontario costs $13.xx.
I don't eat any of the shipping cost. 

The amount I pay and the amount the buyer pays should cancel each other out.

If I select Letter and fold the envelope to match the height/width of the plate, would the shipping cost be less?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Canada Post shipping

"All of which include free delivery notification (I won't ship without tracking)."

That is the problem.

Other sellers (your competitors) do ship license plates for $2/$4 or so across Canada using lettermail.

Since you insist in getting tracking (to protect yourself) and having your buyer pay for your protection, you are outpricing yourself and, unfortunately, open the door to some buyers leaving low DSRs for shipping charges.

Solution: change your shipping to "free shipping" and ship using lettermail within Canada and a small charge to the USA to cover Light Packet (if under 20mm thick).  Indicate in your listings that all shipments are "insured" (you are in fact insuring them through self-insurance). 

If a few items sell for much more than expected ($80+ or whatever number works for you), then you can ship with tracking if it makes you feel better and have the extra margin of profit to pay for the extra cost.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply