Canada in deep reflection over Syrian refugee tragedy

A dead Syrian refugee toddler washed up on a Greek beach has provoked strong feelings around the world, not the least of which in Canada.

Without thought of partisanship, Canadians have found themselves returning to the humanitarian instincts that have seen us sponsoring tens of thousands of Hungarian, Vietnamese and other refugees over the years.

But revelations arising about our current government's role in this mess and approach to refugees in general have been deeply disturbing.

From derisive attack ads mocking Justin Trudeau for sending warm clothes to freezing refugees, to gleeful boasting ads about how they block refugee claimants from receiving benefits, to setting up diabolical bureacratic labyrinths making it virtually impossible to apply for refugee status (the fate of the little Syrian boy on the beach), Harper's fear and loathing government is showing its true colors in this issue.

With Harper polling recently at 24%, this issue could conceivably knock him out of contention altogether in this election. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Canada in deep reflection over Syrian refugee tragedy

mcrlmn
Community Member

Geez... Do you really think eBay is the forum to politicize a tragedy?

At least get your facts straight and educate yourself before ranting.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The issue was politicized long before I got involved 🙂

This is the type of thing that has often been discussed on this board mccrimn - what we also do is try to stay friendly with the other posters. If you don't agree with something go ahead and set matters straight if ya want. Or ignore. Up to you!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Quebec triples Syrian refugee sponsorship

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-syrian-refugee-sponsorship-triples-1.3218075?cmp=rss&u...

And they are trying to get federal approval to fly aircraft over there...

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

It is disgraceful, isn't it? And Israel building a fence to keep them out. Fortunately it doesn't have to govern how we conduct ourselves.

Britain and France each announced they will be accepting another 20,000 or so.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I feel we should do move to help the families trying to escape, but we should have our military train and arm the young men leaving so they can take back their country.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

What an opportunity for ISIS terrorists to infiltrate the humongous  refugee surge. Let's not rush this without proper screening. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Hi Valve - hope you're doing well!

Here's retired Canadian general and Chief of Defence Staff Rick Hillier urging the government to bring in 50,000 Syrian refugees asap... Seems the general has a few ideas about how screening can be done. Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel has every intention of welcoming hundreds of thousands of refugees.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5831779-advice-for-ottawa-on-refugees-bring-50-000-to-canada-/

Harper's way is the way of fear and greed. Harper is the first to jump up and down and dispatch bombers (of course, no need to mention, that he won't be flying them) but when it comes human decency and generosity - Harper is last in line, burrowing out the back door, rushing for the exit.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Your Quebecker hotshot Mulcair will pull all Canadian forces out of the Middle East should he become PM. That would look good to our allies and to the world stage. Would go over real big with ISIS though, a helping hand to their genocide objective.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

MacCleans had an interesting article called "Making sense of Canada's Refugee and Immigration Numbers" that I read this morning.

I got the impression from our PM that many refugees just try to take advantage of us. This part caught my attention:

But let’s stick with the government-assisted refugees for a moment. These are refugees that CIC identifies and accepts overseas. When they arrive in Canada, they are permanent residents. The government offers them income support for a short time, based on prevailing welfare rates, wherever they are resettled in the country.  Through NGOs (who have already written to Chris Alexander about sudden funding cuts this year), government provides some funding for services, such as language and skills training, to help with resettlement. But most government-assisted refugees have to pay their own freight to get here and to get started in setting up a new household. If they don’t have the money to pay for the medical check, the application fees, the plane ticket (preferably, on a Canadian carrier and only with that carrier’s baggage allowance), or a small lump sum to buy basic necessities, CIC will evaluate them for a loan to cover those costs.

Yeah, you read that right: Save for exceptional cases, we make our government-assisted refugees pay us back the costs we charged to get them here. We give them a grace period during which we don’t charge interest, but we give them a maximum time to pay back the loan (sometimes $10,000 per adult) and CIC has the right to pursue collections and garnish wages, if the minister so decides. The repayments from existing loans are used for new loans (subject to a global cap on the revolving fund). Last year we issued $14 million in new loans and collected $12.5 million from newcomers working to pay off their debts. Given this model, I can’t help but wonder how “ability to repay” may inadvertently influence selection. The interest rates, by the way, are set in stone when the loan agreement is written, so there are some loans today carrying over nine per cent interest!  If loan recipients default (and, for accounting purposes, CIC bets that about 10 per cent will), we bar them from sponsoring any members of their families. You can read some first-hand accounts of the effects of the loan repayment here.( link is in the article )

If it’s unclear how Canada is doing in meeting its own targets for bringing refugees to safety in Canada, it’s pretty clear it’s letting them remain economically vulnerable after they get here.

Links to the loan documentation, etc. are in the article:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/making-sense-of-canadas-refugee-and-immigration-numbers/

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Canada has participated in 4 bombing missions over Syria since we expanded to the country in March.

The U.S. has conducted over 2300 bombing missions over Syria.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2204836/isis-mission-reality-check-canada-has-participated-in-4-airstrikes...

While I'm sure that our contribution is appreciated, let's not over-estimate it's importance. We don't have the military might to

make a huge difference and I'm sure we could make an even bigger difference by contributing more to Humanitarian Aid or training.

Canadian taxpayer dollars should be spent where we can make the most difference. Obviously that's not in bombing missions since our coalition partners are better suited to that.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

yes that certainly is interesting. no picnic, that's for sure. nice to see you!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

For those who say we are not doing enough for Syrian refugees:

OTTAWA — Canada will be supplying additional humanitarian assistance for victims of the conflict in Syria.

International Development Minister Christian Paradis on Saturday announced that the federal government will match "eligible" Canadian donations up to $100 million under the Syrian Emergency Relief Fund.

That's in addition to $503.5 million in humanitarian assistance funding Canada has already allocated for humanitarian efforts in Syria and neighbouring countries since the beginning of Syria's civil war.

Canadians have flooded the United Nations children's agency with an outpouring of cash in the week since the image of a dead Syrian boy on a Turkish beach shocked the world on Sept. 2.

Four million people have fled Syria since the conflict broke out in 2011 and while their plight has captured headlines over time, it wasn't until that photograph that Canadians coalesced around the need for action.

The government says Canadian aid has already helped provide relief items to more than 3.25 million people in Syria, food assistance to 4.16 million people inside Syria, and clean water to 16.5 million people in Syria.

MSN news

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Syrian boy and his family drowned because their smuggler father wanted free dental work in Germany. They lived in Turkey which is safe country, so were they really running from war or were they running for better life? Now, I don't deny anyone entry to Canada (or any other well-off country) for better life, but that is completely different process with different criteria, I used it myself. Asylum seeking process is designed for people literally running for their life.

Beside, putting this into perspective - 20,000 kids die in the world every day.

Nothing is black & white. Read lesson of Lebanon: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Lesson-of-Lebanon-Lost,-Once-Free-and-Prosperous-(and-54%-Christian)--...

In short - Lebannon used to be Switzerland of the Middle East. Then it welcomed hundreds of thousands refugees with open heart mid-20th century and these refugees were grateful. But their kids, 2nd generation, were not and Lebannon became hell on earth.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply