Canada post 2014 recap

Cut back staff ( You wait Longer)

Remove Door to Door ( They took away Easy)

Cost hike ( They took away Cost effective)

This is how I see this ..

We will support less Canadian Families and even put some in horrible Finicial state..( kinda how all business work but hey)

We Will be responsible for Elderly people enduring themselves all across Canada

We Will slow down delivery time

But we will clean out your wallet to pay me a little more in 2014

$440,000-$500,000 Canada post CEO 2013

Sure that is a good salary for the man who is going to be responsible for 100's of elderly being seriously endured from slip and falls JUST WAIT 2014 it will come those sad reports of eldery being found dead in the snow banks wit there walkers ...

I grew up in a small town where picking up mail was always just a way of life but I can tell you right now it's not as OK as some peole make it .. Have you ever found your Grandmother in a snowbank freezing .. I did 67 years old stuck at the end of her driveway for 16hrs ..

Or when I was 16 in Art class I looked out my window only to see an eldery lady fall on the side walk and without knowing to much detail I ran out to help only to cover her in a blanket because I THINK she broke her hip as we wanted to help her up but she was quietly saying her hip hurt so we cover her up and called Ambulance ..

Making elderly have to pick up there mail is not cool and they should have looked at this closer and I hope he will lose his job before or after the next election or even worse maybe he will slip and fall and the snow plow will come by and give him a boost up to the top of the snowbank....

This never really bugged me till today today when I started to think of all the elderly people I have seen or had close calls with in the winter time .. When your Gramma,wife,husband etc Comes within hrs of freezing to death or breaking bones  for a few bills in the mail it will change your outlook too..

I would for the first time in my life join a group of people to fight this..

There are different things they could have done because all thoough LETTER in Lettermail are Dead the New use of Lettermail service is far from Dead and they should have looked at ways to INCREASE Volumes instead of prices..

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Canada post 2014 recap

although... I had to correct that word it bugged me...

What bad grammar bugged me LOL

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

I think they should have done 2 things to atleast show they support those who support them ..I know the mighty dollar controles alot but their is still the part of business called customer service ..

Concentrate on increasing Mail volume Targeting Amazon and ebay Sellers and many other venues ... 20% off lettermail for high volume sellers who ship over x amount .. Which would or could make sellers shoot to increase there Volumes of sales....

Come up with a Disabled Registration for the elderly and still maintain a small door to door delivery service in certain areas with high volumes of eldery people.

All in All the Canadian Price hike has effected my sales within Canada abut has tripled my sales to the US ( I deduct Domectis shipping cost from my US shipping cost  .... $1.80 or $2.90 subtracted from $4.28  making my US shipping cost appear to be VERY CHEAP...

Anyways just bored and sick and feeling like ranting my cold away

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

That elderly aspect is over played. Misleading at the best. 2/3's of the "elderly" do not get home delivery as it is. If you are that infirm, should you be living alone? Bathrooms kill more people than community mailboxes. Better we should ban bathrooms.

The service can be cut back or it can be lost altogether. CP has been trying, for years, to tap into the on-line market. It keeps shifting further away from a pay for use service to a free service.

How does any company compete against free?

In an average month, I get enough mail to justify one (1) day of service. One. I could get my mail delivered once a month and get everything I need.

Brandee, yer a successful entrepreneur. Explain to me the cost benefits of compressing 22 days of work into one. My mail carrier is a great guy. All he delivers is flyers.

I get pizza, hamburger, used car circulars. 95% of what I get goes straight into the bin.

Consider other industries. Billions of economic activity has been lost in the newspaper industry, pulp and paper, forestry because of computers. Should not that all be saved as well, no matter how much it costs?

At some point, yer just pouring money down a hole.

Cost benefit. It costs too much money to supply a poorly utilized service. When the service is spending more than it can ever take in, what to do?
Photobucket
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

Every business loses money to customer service it is the nature of the beast ...

I agree with you and at the same time disagree ..

I understand that all Companies have to change with times but where do you draw the line ...

Do you really need 20,000 elderly walking across major highways to get there mail.. Not really big cities have major outlets everywhere making delivery cost alot less then rural areas ...

most elderly like My Grandmother do not want someone wiping there butt and making them move into old age homes because that is just about i would imagine the hardest transittion any of us will ever face in life...

You say they keep trying to cut into the online market ... WHEN AND HOW?

What would think the cost of adding a scan bar to package for tracking would cost the company. They no longer have to deliver it to your door so the cost is very minimal ... They never did that ...

Although they have supposedly attempted over the years I do not see anything that really shows they have made smart attempts.. I can't learn to skate by talking about it ....

Or why can't the goverment support them more and stop supporting welfare bums who won't even look at you or shower before they make there fake attempt of getting a job ..

I know businesses have to change but do you think this was a smart move to step towards the online market place which is there only chance in surviving ...  I don't think so not one bit .. If anything they have gotten closer to pushing people to carriers..

Cutting base rates for employees by nearly 20% .... Cutting the service delivery time... Cutting Wages... Cutting services...Increasing prices .. This does not tell me there are working toward supporting the online world it tell me this is there way of making up $$ losses from losing or not capitalizing on online businesses..

Canada Post does not have to compete with USPS it is unrealisitic but they do need to stand out from all carriers in Canada ..

Nobody has to compete with FREE it does not exist .. It's a Front for Price included orr to encourage you to buy more ... Ship your first parcel full pop second one Free type thing...

Canada post has no competition in Lettermail and they should capitalize on it.. Every always say MAJOR Decline ...BULL to that .. When I was a kid there were not millions of items sold online being shipped lettermail and the population was alot less when I was a kid too ... Hand Written Letter have died out  but the whole service dying out is overplayed ...

They should adjust there services so they are not handing out $1000's of refunds everyday for Gauranteed times that are not met ..

Delay Delivery Times .. Don't increase cost .. If the difference of a Customer paying you $1 for deliver or $2  Delivery is only 8 business days instead of 5 I know I would much pefer to wait 8 .. In your case you states once a month so there you go .. Collect mail for 2 weeks and make delivery cost minimal by not running the delivery vehicles everyday ..

I think there a tons away for them to change without having to adjust everything all at once ..

I understand business enough to get by and I also understand is Many situations there is always another way .. like me I retail and wholesale because I know to get DEEP Discounts I need to by bulk but I also know to sell 3000 copies of a movie doing just retail is far from realistic so I adapted my business and became a Wholesaler too instead of just a Retailer... This allows me to Still keep retail prices low .. Instead of selling 1 blu ray for $10 and making 900% profit and making the sale of 1 item pay for 10-or 20 I sell them for $5 make a 400% profit and Wholesale off the rest ..

I know the elderly thing is overplayed but that opens too many worms to go there .. Why isn't pot legal Alcohol kills way more then pot every will or why are cigarattes legal etc etc ...

I know elderly are probably the smallest portion of Canada post business but still Most of them but our eldery Deserve more and better then the rest of us... I mean I won't be when I am elderly but I did not have to fight to make Harpers comfy job ...

Anyways I agree and disagree .. Business does have to change with the times but do they have to change the way they

did .. I think there are alternatives....

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

WOW! That is impressive. Quite a lot in there. I find, that when there are programs running in my background, they influence how I view external things.

Not to play amateur psychologist, but, lie over there and tell Uncle Freud your thoughts.

I know that my background pressures, that no-one knows about, manifest themselves in intolerance for stupidity. You regulars will see that when I lash out at the trolls that come here hacking and slashing. I do not care about those trolls as they are like meteors I the sky, gone for a millennium.

Folks like you, Brandee? You bring too much to the table. So, when I see a "rant", well written as it is, I kinda go "hummm". That gives me pause for concern.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

Wow.  As someone who does in fact have extensive training in psychology I have to point out that there's a lot to comment on in that post as well Elmwood.................  from a Freudian perspective as well as otherwise.  🙂 .

As for Brandee's post:  My mother was 93 when she passed away.

She got along on her own and unless she paid for it, she refused all help.  With no Internet access the mail mattered to her.

She could have hired someone to get her mail, but since they delivered to her door she was spared having to do so.

Just saying'.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

I can understand the cancellation of door to door services, most neighborhoods are built with those multi-mail boxes now anyways, BUT what I am most unhappy with is the lack of service for the amount we spend to ship items.

Example.  Small Packet Air Mail to USA items....500-1kg $16.03  Canada Post has zero accountability.  Their exact words to me was" Ship at your own risk"  If you want insurance and tracking step up to Tracked Packet for only $4 more.   Do they not understand  $16.03 was a bad price already.   As a Canadian seller I (we) are already at a disadvantage when being compared to US sellers due to the huge discrepancy in postage pricing vs Canada and USA.  I tried to explain this to the canada post supervisor that I spoke to that and she proceeded to tell me that The USPS is federally funded and if I wanted cheaper shipping to move the US.  Good luck with free health care though because americans don't get that.  If you don't like our shipping methods go elsewhere.      I felt it was kind of unprofessional for the Canada Post supervisor for their tone they took with me. 

2 packages Feb-march lost for a total loss on my part of just under $150.    A simple sorry and refund of the SHIPPING I PAID would have sufficed, instead I got talked down to.

In the last 6 years I have spent  over $34,508.37 at Canada Post on shipping.   Their service cost has increased while their accountability has decreased.  (It's Tax time...I was doing my taxes so I added up my canada post shipping totals haha... thats how I know what the exact number is 🙂

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

The supervisor implements policy and is told what to say. Good luck with that attempt. Consider that person gets screamed at every day with the exact same argument over and over and over, day after day, week after week. Something they have absolutely no control over. Plus, the argument goes no further.

Upgrade to Tracked Packet if that is important to you. In the last six years I have spent double what you have spent. What does that entitle me to? A receipt.

If you have been reading along over the last few months, Brandee's postal issues are a lot different than today's essay.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

Come up with a Disabled Registration for the elderly and still maintain a small door to door delivery service in certain areas with high volumes of eldery people. -- brandee

When we say ‘elderly’ , we should really be saying ‘disabled’. Our receptionist was a paraplegic (he had one hand to run his chair and his computer). He should also be eligible for doorstep service. My neighbor aged 85 , still skis downhill.

I get pizza, hamburger, used car circulars. 95% of what I get goes straight into the bin. - mr e

But which pay for your other mail. A very large proportion of CPO’s income is from this advertising mail.

I get real estate, retirement homes, and home improvement flyers. Makes it obvious that we are targeted by postal code, eh?

When I was a kid there were not millions of items sold online being shipped lettermail and the population was alot less when I was a kid too ... brandee

Deepak Chopra was quoted in the Globe and Mail about a year ago that  until the 1950s, most of Canada Post’s business was in packages, with lettermail being the minority. He said CPO was looking at a return to that business model.

Apparently, he didn’t look hard enough.

make delivery cost minimal by not running the delivery vehicles everyday .

Here in downtown Ottawa, we’ve noticed we almost never get mail on Fridays and rarely on Tuesdays. Okay, anecdote is not data, but I wonder if CPO has introduced  three day delivery to residential districts without announcing it.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

...we've noticed we almost never get mail on Fridays...

I will agree with that, has been that way for years.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

Last time I seen a psychologist was when I was a teenager and I told him what was wrong and what I though i should do then they told me I had it all figured out and coming there was a waste of my time LOL ...

I am sick and have alot of time on my hands right now 😉

I just disagree with the way they are doing things .. Last week my mother in law paid xxpresspost $19 from barrie to orangeville 1 days delivery .. It took 2 days and my mother in law called and got her money back ... These are the things they need to change...

I mean Not to often does anyone really need 1 day delivery so why offer it only to set you company up to fail.

As a buyer what is important to you ? Receving your item in 3 days but paying $15 dollars or or waiting 5 days and paying $10 ..

To me as a buyer the most important thing is receiving it as described and although shipping time does matter it s the last on my list of give hoot..

I mean how expedited shipping the Esitimated arrival time is about the same as Lettermail ... So make a gap  Don't up your prices ...double the delivery time of lettermail and cut your cost in half ... I mean paying $2 for delivery of an item going 5 provinces over 2 week delivery esitamte is fair  why does it have to be 3-5 days and have 1 piece of mail cost double to deliver then what a customer paid ...

At the Same time you make Expedited parcel look more appealing as now it will appear to have half the shipping time as lettermail which may encourage buyers to go that route..

I would never pay Expedited for a DVD because Lettermail is 1/10 of the cost and has basically same arrival time not exactly a way to Expedited parcel a fighting chance for someone looking to speed up delivery..

I think when I am sick I think too much LOL

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

@femmefan1946 wrote:

make delivery cost minimal by not running the delivery vehicles everyday .

Here in downtown Ottawa, we’ve noticed we almost never get mail on Fridays and rarely on Tuesdays. Okay, anecdote is not data, but I wonder if CPO has introduced  three day delivery to residential districts without announcing it.

I have noticed exactly that.  I think you're right on.

Since Christmas the services in my area have very noticeably become less.  

I don't care about actual letter mail, but there is no package delivery Mondays or Fridays and when they do deliver Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays they come with their arms full or they don't come at all.

I have to say:  I thought I wouldn't mind but I do in fact mind.  I would also mind having to line up at the PO for my packages  because there's always a long line and that's increased as well:  Again:  The difference is very noticeable.

I'm someone who pays a lot a lot for shipping (both ways), and I'm surprised at how much I actually don't like this reduction in service.

I would not have predicted that.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

yes femme I stand corrected your are right i would of been better off saying disabled.. It's just I think of it and I know the older you get the more it hurts .. when I was 12 I could fall 30 times over and do nothing but laugh now in my 30's nothing is funny when I fall so double that age and I am sure it's won't be funy falling ...

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

Althought delivery time is annoying i still prefer to keep more profit and make more sales .. It all depends on individual sellers though because for me $1 or $2 does matter ALOT but for many it does not .. $1 can cut me right out of the US market as I have to compete with US sellers..

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

I do upgrade it to Tracked Packet when the item price warrants it, but come on now.  I understand that overall Canada Post does a good job at getting the packages through.  It would be nice to see a tracking system put in place on small packet air items.  The bar code is already there.  I am NOT even asking for it to include insurance!  Just a simple tracking of SCANNED when delivered would be a-ok with me.

You have spent double what I have... what does that make you?  A very good customer of Canada Post.  Good customers should be given good courteous service IMO.  Clearly you are NOT a scammer trying to rip off Canada Post with bogus claims.  Just as I am not. 

mr.elmwood   Both you and I sell similar items even. 

When I pay someone to do a job I would at least like a sorry when they cannot deliver on what they were paid to do.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

brandee............ as for incoming mail you said something above that is Right On!

You posted  ""To me as a buyer the most important thing is receiving it as described and although shipping time does matter it s the last on my list of give hoot.."""

That is Right On!  (Although for me shipping cost matters as well.)

Everything else is forgivable, and even though annoying in the moment............ a year down the road those memories are gone.

However, when an item arrives that was not as described:  

That, you never forget.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

I guess no one got the yellow notice they sent around last year in the mail? It stated that CP was evaluating their services and you might notice a change in service. 

I noticed after that I got mail around three times a week. Which is ok except I was eventually forced to cancel my membership to Zip because of their poor service and CP's slow service. 

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

@brandeentertainment wrote:

Nobody has to compete with FREE it does not exist .. It's a Front for Price included orr to encourage you to buy more ... Ship your first parcel full pop second one Free type thing...

Hi brande -- You're quite right about this, but perhaps for a different reason. 

Consider that even though shipping may be free to a buyer, someone (the seller) is still paying Canada Post for that shipping, regardless of whether it's rolled into the item cost or not.  So having free shipping available is no disadvantage for CP; it simply means a different party is paying.  This fact alone could be an opportunity for CP, i.e. when it's online business owners who are paying the shipping, and not their customers.  Since these business owners constitute a targetable market group, there is potential for alternative services and pricing.

If CP were really keen on tapping into the online market, they'd take a closer look at their Small/Light Packet rates, and try to appeal to sellers.  The delivery timeframes are already very good to the US and Europe, and I think there's an argument to be made that heavier letter mail services could be phased out in favour of a lower-priced Small/Light Packet service (they are effectively the same services). 

Or increase that lousy 2.0cm thickness restriction to, say 4.0cm on Light Packet, offer Light Packet within Canada as well as internationally/US, and do away with oversize letter mail completely, thus saving money on duplicated services.  CP would suddenly have a whole new sector of sellers taking advantage of Light Packet service.  I agree with you, brande, that an extra day or two in delivery time is not as critical as the pricing. 

We do already get discounts for various parcel services -- why not on the parcel services many Canadian sellers would like to be able to use?  Small/Light Packet would be my first choice for everything I sell if they could just keep the price stable for a couple of years and add some incentive discounts for online sellers. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Canada post 2014 recap

IMO there is something wrong when Canadians can't compete on a Global scale for light weight low cost items.

Sellers like brandee survive due only to the sheer volume of items they sell and so making a buck or two / item makes sense for them.

Bing Bang Boom ............. the only way to sell items like that.

IMO heavy low cost items do not work for on line sales and there is really no way to make them "fit,"

However, light weight low cost items should have a place here.

The CPO loses a lot of business because shipping costs make it impossible to profit on items like that unless you do huge volumes.

In addition, those like brandee who do sell large amounts of items like that deserve huge breaks in shipping costs for volume.

There are things the CPO could do which are not that complicated to help keep these sellers/businesses afloat.

Every seller who keeps going and doesn't fold because of shipping costs is good for Canada as well.

There should be more support for these sellers like this.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply