CanadaPost Question

stmiki00
Community Member

Hi,

Can someone explain to me how Canadian sellers are able to offer such competitively priced merchandise and still afford to ship it/offer free shipping?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no affordable shipping option offered by Canada Post for lightweight merchandise. If it is any thicker than 2 cm, it will not be classified as letter mail/large packet mail and requires the full parcel postage price. ($4-$7 depending)

I refuse to believe that these sellers are actually paying $7~ to ship lightweight merchandise. How are they able to pull this off?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: CanadaPost Question

Believe it or not, Canadian ebay sellers do find a way to sell online with these high Canada Post rates.

For anything 2cm or less in thickness, lettermail/light packet would be the option to go if you need to ship cheaply (as long as you don't need insurance). For anything over 2cm in thickness, you need to send it as some sort of parcel. For the Canadian sellers that offer free shipping, they just include the cost of the parcel within the selling price. Very few sellers will actually cover the full cost of shipping out of pocket.

As both a Canadian seller on ebay as well as a Postal Clerk working in a Retail Postal Outlet, I understand that it's hard. I really do. But where there's a will, there's a way

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

stmiki00
Community Member

Thank you for this information

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Any time!

Another tip: Think about signing up for the Venture One program through Canada Post. You'll get a little card that'll save you 5% off of some shipping costs (for parcels), or ship by printing out a label through Paypal, that'll give you even more of a discount.

Good luck~

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Any time!

Another tip: Think about signing up for the Venture One program through Canada Post. You'll get a little card that'll save you 5% off of some shipping costs (for parcels), or ship by printing out a label through Paypal, that'll give you even more of a discount.

Good luck~

He cannot sign up for Venture One because he is a USA seller and also uses Asian drop shippers.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Well I didn't look into that.. LOL.

I figured he's posting on the .ca forums, I thought he'd be a Canadian seller as well. Guess I need to do more research! Haha

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Question:

Can I print labels off paypal even if I'm just mailing envelope size items and receive the discount? 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

yeah...check the prices out for tracked packet to usa and world wide.........ahhhhhhh

and guess who makes money..

EBAY..time to remove the SURCHARGE Imposed against sellers

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

wildflowers888
Community Member

Can anyone tell me where I can buy flat rate boxes in Canada 28cm x 26.5cm x 14 cm as PayPal offer this mailing service/rate. I have checked with Canada Post and their store offers different sizes.

Thanks

Peter

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

The eBay/Canad Post Flat rate box program is discontinued. Boxes can no longer be purchased from Canada Post for about a year.  The PayPal option is still there because some customers still have boxes in stock. You cannot use the Flat Rate option without the special box. It eventually will be discontinued one day.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

The eBay/Canad Post Flat rate box program is discontinued. Boxes can no longer be purchased from Canada Post for about a year.  The PayPal option is still there because some customers still have boxes in stock. You cannot use the Flat Rate option without the special box. It eventually will be discontinued in PayPal one day.

Correction.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

wildflowers888
Community Member

Thanks. It was confusing me why PayPal were still offering it as an option.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

latte403
Community Member

stmiki00: You appear to be a seller from the US.

For your information, many successful sellers

in Canada manage to get their packages to the USPS system

in order to stay with the competition.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Anyone who lives anywhere near the border , your better off to take your items to be shipped to the USA by yourself . What you need to do is fill out the following Manifest  Form  ( http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_7523.pdf ) ..... When entering the USA you must use the same lanes as other commercial traffic (trucks  etc)  present this form , and your Paypal receipt(s) -- US Customs can charge you $10.75 cash each time you bring some articles into the US   (users fee)

This may sound expensive but to ship a 25 lb item  by Priority  from Niagara Ont.  to Niagara NY (8 miles) Canada posts wants $400 which includes a $40 fuel surcharge , Meanwhile USPS will only charge you $150 to ship the same 25 lb item to Singapore (3000 miles by air) , not 8 miles ... i have shipped items from NY back to Canada for 1/4 of the amount that Canada Post wants to ship the same package to the same location in Canada ... USPS supplies you with FREE  Flat Rate Boxes ( 8 different sizes) in which you can put 70 lbs in each box and the S&H to anywhere in the USA is between $6 and $15 (includes Alaska/Hi / Portia Rico) 

So if at all possible , start shipping by USPS

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Hi,

Can someone explain to me how Canadian sellers are able to offer such competitively priced merchandise and still afford to ship it/offer free shipping?

Oh please. Anyone with any brains can figure out that the cost of free shipping is buried in the price of the item for sale. This ain't rocket science and that is why the free shipping gimick has taken a nose dive - when you scroll through the stuff for sale the only free shipping availble now is that 95% of the stuff for sale is the kind of stuff that the seller can post for the cost of an envelope. The other 5% is used by sellers who are crazy;

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

You seem to know a lot about CP.  I'm trying to ship a parcel to the US and I can't find any info about Small Package Surface shipping.  What has happened to that option?  Has CP, in its "wisdom", annihilated it?

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Small Packet USA Surface was discontinued Jan 16, 2013. You still have Small Packet USA Air.

Small Packet International Surface and Air still exists.

The included $100 insurance for Small Packet has been discontinued also on Jan 16, 2013. You ship using Small packet at your own risk now.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply