Combination of auction and Buy Now

I am not sure I understand this combination properly, did not use it too much. I have been running one product in one 3-day auction starting for 9.99 and they usually end at $25-$26. I would like to increase the final value to be closer to actual market value ($30-$35) of an item, so I tried a combination with BIN ($33 - on the higher end of market value). This was supposed to make a perception with the buyer that they are bidding on $33 item and not on $9.99 item (or whatever the current bid is).

However, there is one $9.99 bid now and the Buy It Now option disappeared.

Does it make sense? Why is it not possible to maintain the BIN after the bids are placed?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

sauga_source
Community Member
I always wondered how that worked, the buy it now would be erased on my auctions once a bid is placed. I've seen other pages where the "buy it now" option is still there with bids being placed and no reserve. I guess after all these years im still a newbie ?:|
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

They were testing "persistent" BIN a while ago, only in some categories, not sure what the status of that testing is but you might find something in the Announcement archives.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

if you put a reserve then the BIN won't go away until the reserve is met (so they make more $ this way).

The way i like to use it is, if you want to sell it for higher start auction at $22 and put BIN at $26
so user has option should i just buy it now and forget about bidding for or do i take a chance for $4 ?
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

higher start auction at $22 and put BIN at $26

I noticed several sellers in my category do that. I start my auctions low, it brings low-ballers first and then people bid faster when there is 10 bids already. Based on the idea "If so many people are bidding on it, it must be good" ... or reverse "Why is nobody bidding on this, there must be somthing wrong with it".
Message 5 of 5
latest reply