Discussion with eBay Canada Country Manager: Dec. 23, 11:00 AM -12:00 PM ET

carly@ebay.com
Community Member
Please join us on December 23, from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM ET for a general discussion and question and answer session with Jordan, the eBay Canada Country Manager. Jordan will be here on behalf of the eBay Canada team to answer any questions you have about eBay.

If you are not able to attend, but want to leave some questions in advance please post them here, and you can check back later for answers. This thread will remain open until the discussion is over on December 23.

Hope you can join us!
Carly
Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

I am glad this notice has been posted on other Discussion Boards on eBay.ca. Good move! :-) .

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

denis20
Community Member
unfortunately not on the café - still room for improvment...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
If it's got hair, it's just a cat ! / Si ca a des poils, c'est juste un chat !
Message 3 of 65
latest reply

benne0070_1
Community Member
I think it is time that ebay & Paypal straightened out the confirmed addresses issue for Canadians.
Many people are complaining that they are Confirmed for several transactions and then unconfirmed for some and then confimed again.
You don't know from 1 hour to the next whether you are confirmed or not.
Paypal refuses to tell us what credit cards can be used to obtain confirmed addresses.
There are many Canadians who have stated on these boards that if they see an auction that requires a confirmed address they just hit the back button rather than risk their address coming up unconfirmed and causing a real hassle.

Maybe it is time Canada started looking for an alternitive paying method for ebay auctions.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Photobucket

Message 4 of 65
latest reply

able-wizard1957
Community Member
I'm one of those Canadians who is confirmed one minute and unconfirmed the next - and I'm told I have one of the credit cards that allows confirmation. On top of which, I can't use my credit card to make payments through Paypal even though its all entered properly, verified via the payment/charge thingy, etc. - it just keeps coming up as an invalid card and there's no reason for that (and if Paypal says check with the credit card company, forget it - been there done that the card is fine, its a Paypal problem). Its time Paypal improved their service all around. There are many posts on the boards by people who've gotten little or no help from Paypal with problems and there's only so much the ebay members responding can help with - ebay members can't fix the problems. And Amanda or someone from Paypal needs to spend more time on the Paypal board answering questions and offering solutions. I realize Jordan is the ebay country manager, not a Paypal manager, but ebay owns Paypal so from a user perspective ebay needs to do a lot of work on smartening Paypal up.

Steph
Message 5 of 65
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member
I agree with the two posts above me..

I make Paypal payments nearly every day...

Here is how it goes..

I go directly to Paypal and log in.

I click on Send Money, then pay for eBay items..

I click on Pay Now, and then I wait in anticipation for my receipt to come into my email adress

I close my eyes, and cross my fingers and hope to high heavens, that THE seller from U.S. who says *Confirmed Paypal Adresses Only* will show up as confirmed this time because the winds are blowing just right, and the moon has turned around the earth just right,and I said 3 Hail Mary's so maybe, just maybe, I'll be lucky.

I have noticed that two days in a row, my payments are confirmed, then the third day NOT confirmed..

This issue really needs to be taken care of, I can't handle the guess work

Photobucket
Message 6 of 65
latest reply

1. I am very concerned about the dramatic increase in the number of fraudulent auctions we are seeing on the boards. We report them to Safe Harbour, but all too often the auctions finish before anything is done about them and many people are cheated out of their money. I have read similar concerns on the US, UK and German boards. What is being done about this?

2. It is horrible to sit helplessly watching people be defrauded, sometimes of thousands of dollars. We are not permitted to warn the bidders on these auctions, since to do so would be auction interference for which we can be "sanctioned". Yet I know of people, who shall remain nameless, who sometimes warn the bidders even though they know the risk to themselves. I haven’t done this myself, but I have sure been tempted. Could not something be done, such as have employees in Safe Harbour specifically assigned to promptly read the reports (often only a couple of hours are left in the auctions by the time we find them), give a quick initial assessment, and if the auctions aren’t pulled before finishing, contact all the bidders to tell them that “something is of concern” and not to pay until Safe Harbour gets back to them? All this fraud is really tarnishing eBay's reputation.

3. We need a link to send our fraud concerns about members in China. We’ve been told e-mail the webform of the member’s country. I did try guessing at the Chinese webform but the reply I got back in English obviously did not comprehend the problem. Where is the best place to send reports on fraudulent auctions concerning Chinese members (which are half the reports I send) so that they will be dealt with as quickly as possible?

4. Some of us on the Canadian help boards would like to have a thread pinned to the top of the help boards, or at least the New to eBay board, that advises people what to look for in a listing to help them avoid frauds. One of the members has a thread called Pandora’s Box which deals with this topic, and if it or something similar could be pinned, I think it would be a useful resource for many members.

5. Far too few members are aware of the help boards. Many people have mentioned this once they’ve found us, and how they wish they’d known about us for previous problems. Perhaps you could do something to make these boards more prominently known to members, so they would know where to come for help.

6. Speaking of which, there needs to be a VAST improvement in the information found under the Help button. It is not user-friendly. Often a search offers me 200 resulting topics, most of which have nothing to do with my question, and if the first few don’t give me my answer, I’m not going to read the rest of the 200 to see if maybe they do. And many times, no matter how I word the question, the precise answer is never found. The Site Map is sometimes more useful when looking for general information, but not when looking for information about problems in a transaction. One possible solution would be to have a FAQ page dealing with such things, which would give a one-sentence answer with a link to more detailed information (and this could perhaps contain a link to the help boards).

7. I would like to see pinned at the top of the help boards an easy-to-understand thread on How to Post Questions. It should be short and to-the-point so that most people will read it. For example:
1. Start your own thread. If you just tack your question on to the end of someone else’s, it won’t be seen by many of those who could help.
2. Never post User ID’s, actual names, or contact information such as e-mail address. [Most people have not read the detailed rules about posting, and several times a week I have to explain this to people and tell them how to self-report their posts to avoid being sanctioned.]
3. If you have a question about a specific auction, mention the auction number in the body of the post, but not in the title of your thread. [I don’t know how many times people ask us about auctions that are over a month old--which we cannot access--or else seem to want us to play guess-the-auction with coy hints about it.]
4. If your problem concerns a purchase, explain how you paid for it (credit card through Paypal, money order, etc.) [People often don’t realize that this can be pertinent information, and often our first responding post will be “What is the auction number and how did you pay?”].

I’m done now. Thanks for your time. You may now resume regular programming, lol.

Best wishes to all.

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our leg with a shopping cart, then apologizes for doing so, why do we say 'That's okay'?  It ISN'T okay.  So why don't we say 'That hurt, you stupid idiot?'

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

I would like to support previous request, regarding security and safety, which should be our mutual concern. There is far too many fraudulent listings from overseas sellers. We are doing voluntary work, to help new members recognize potential threat. Beside "Pandora's Box", I posted a new thread - High Ticked Items - Overseas Transaction, and provided some fraud prevention tips, with reporting links. There is not enough new members browsing Discussion Boards, often they come, when they need help, and in many cases is too late. Would it be possible to suggest visiting Boards, for all new members, somewhere in registration -tutorial process?
Most of them, has to deal with overwhelming number of issues, and simply don't know nothing about. If possible, I would wish for my new post to be tacked on the top of the New to eBay Board, at least. This has been proven as useful, and we were able to help many people this way, saving their money, eBay money, and reputation as a Safe Trading Environment. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

NOTE: Any grammatical, informational, spelling or numpty errors found in my posts are the fault of reader misinterpretation not the writer.

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

able-wizard1957
Community Member
There is not enough new members browsing Discussion Boards, often they come, when they need help, and in many cases is too late.

Absolutely correct, and if I may add: Even seasoned ebayers come to the boards for help, as well as to offer advice. And there are experienced ebayers who don't know these boards exist (I've talked to a few who've been ebayers for a year or two or three and they've said "What discussion boards?"). The boards need to be more 'up front', perhaps with their own direct link from the home page instead of through the community link.
Message 9 of 65
latest reply

hiddentreasures247
Community Member
I would like to see the Fraud issue also addressed, and also better protection for the sellers in this case too. If a buyer tries to defraud a seller. I'm glad there is protection for a buyer, as I do buy too, but sellers need the same kind of protection from untrustworthy buyers too. Who also try to pull things on sellers.
Message 10 of 65
latest reply

thetickletrunk
Community Member
Hi Jordan, just wanted to leave an issue with you that I thought I had read on CTS the other day....

I went to bid on an item last night and I couldn't. The seller sells to Canada, and is in the USA. I tried a few of my eBay Ids, none of them would 'work'.

I can't make it to this discussion but wanted to give you the heads up, and hope others aren't having the same problem.

Merry Christmas!

-Christine
Santa Claus has the right idea ...
visit people only once a year.
~Victor Borge

----------------------
Have a nice day! 🙂
Message 11 of 65
latest reply

Hi Jordan.

I will not be around Friday morning (need to prepare and bake my tourtieres for Christmas) but I would like to get your comments, as an executive of eBay.ca, on the shameful lack of respect from PayPal towards Canadian sellers.

This thread, and the silence from PayPal, says it all:
http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=300021048&start=0

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New year. .

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
We get quite a few questions from new users wondering why they are getting a message from ebay that tells them they've Exceeded the Maximum Number of Messages they can send. These users are usually trying to Ask Seller a Question before they bid on something.

I believe that at one time there was a limit put on new users (those with under 10 feedback) as to how many messages they can send and I believe it was 10 per day. But the ebay Help files give no mention of this limit at all....only that you need to put a credit card on file if you have 0 feedback.

Please clarify exactly what the rules are for new users sending messages or asking seller questions and if they do indeed have a limit...and where it is explained in the help files??

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
eBay-on-the-Road seems to be on an extended vacation...when will they be back??

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 14 of 65
latest reply

ljnbethy
Community Member
Hi Jordan! A few items for discussion:

1. Absolutely something MUST be done about the fraud issue. People come to the boards all the time saying they've been defrauded. And those are the people who ask for help. Too many don't. When will ebay assign people to look for fraud? We do as much as we can in reporting -- but we can't get them all. And it's heartbreaking when we report and it's too late to help. Another thought: remove the sanctions for "auction interference" if it is found that a listing is indeed fraudulent. Pinning the Pandora's Box thread is a good first step!

2. There should be a feature, a warning, perhaps, when people go to place a bid. "STOP! Did you get your shipping quote before you bid?"

3. People don't know about the discussion boards, and I support the above comment that they should be a prominent, visible link at the top of the home page. (Not way down at the bottom.) Perhaps with a message like, "Want help from other members? Visit the Discussion Boards!"

4. Speaking of help, please, please make the Help files more user friendly! I searched for a very long time the other day looking for an answer about the message limit for new members and didn't find a thing. This is only one example. Another example, in trying to help another member with a payment issue, there was nothing to be found on her particular question.

5. Can ebay do anything about members with horrible feedback? Say a seller is racking up 30 or more negs per month. Why are people like this permitted to continue selling?

Thanks for your time! Merry Christmas!

Message 15 of 65
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Hi Jordan!

Merry Christmas to you. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us at this very busy time of year. 🙂 We appreciate it.

I have a question/request for a listing notice. I'm a seller primarily but I buy stuff too. (how can you not with everything you could think of and then some on eBay!!)

As a seller when I look at a closed listing of mine I've seen notices that say:

1. Buyer Has Paid by PayPal on such and such a date
  2. Buyer Has Requested Shipping/Payment information on such and such a date
  3. Buyer Has Marked the Item Paid on such and such a date

As a buyer I've seen:

1. You've Won the Item!
  2. You've Paid for the Item on such and such a date
  3. Your PayPal Payment has been sent

Or words to that effect. I can't recall the exact terminology so please forgive any errors. However I've never seen an item with a notice saying "Seller Has Shipped Your Item on such and such a date."

I would very much like to see both from a seller and a buyer's perspective, a notice when I look at a listing that I've sold or bought, that says seller has marked the item shipped on such and such a date. I will always email the buyer telling them I've shipped with further details but it's a real quick way for sellers to notify buyers their item is on the way.

It's also an easy way for buyers to learn that their item has shipped. A lot of times SPAM filters block or delete seller emails which leads to the inevitable WHERE'S MY ITEM AND WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING ME?? irate emails. I find too that a lot of buyers for some reason assume that people's eBay ID is the same as their email address so they block everything that's not the ID. I don't know why but I've noticed this happening quite a bit.

If a buyer is able to mark in their My eBay the item has been paid, which then shows up for the seller in a closed listing can you make it so when a seller marks the item shipped the buyer sees it in the closed listing?

Pretty please! I think it's a great idea and would be very helpful to both buyers and sellers. :-D

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction
Message 16 of 65
latest reply

I agree with everything that have been previously posted.

However, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the climbing eBay fees.

If I was getting more for my money I wouldn't mind so much but service levels have actually declined in my experience (slow website, slow response times from customer support, who follow up with a canned message, further wasting my time).

These higher fees are making it difficult to make money on lower-valued items. Add the Canada Post increases coming in January and I'll probably drop the lower priced items completely in 2006.

I know I'm not the only one who is worried about this trend, it would be a loss to ebay as the range of items offered for sale would be reduced.

How about a Walmart-styled "rollback" on fees? eBay is going to make hundreds of millions of dollars in PROFIT during 2005 (on billions of dollars of sales).

Why not reward those who are providing you these huge profits?
Message 17 of 65
latest reply

benne0070_1
Community Member
Carly it is nice to see that you posted this meeting on

the other boards, However there is one small problem

You didn't tack them to the top and on the more heavily

used boards the message has slipped from the first page

and cannot be seen unless you go to page 2.

Photobucket

Message 18 of 65
latest reply

hiddentreasures247
Community Member
One more thing I want to mention..what's the point in reporting buyers threatening to leave negative feedback and providing the proof of it..and then being told we can't help you in this situation? There has to be more support for sellers as well as buyers.
Message 19 of 65
latest reply

benne0070_1
Community Member
There have been different threads that have insinuated that some people who post regular on the help boards are getting paid by ebay.

Is there any truth to this and if so How does one get a position like this?

Photobucket

Message 20 of 65
latest reply