Do you list on both .ca and .com? If so, how do you keep it straight?

Do you list on both .ca and .com?  If so, how do you keep it straight?  I am thinking to list on both and was wondering if you feel it works for you.  What are the drawbacks?   How does free shipping work for Canada and not the US?  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

On This ID I sell mostly books, and list only on dotCA to avoid the stupid shipping cap on media on dotCOM. Something to consider if you are selling CDs.

On another I list on both depending on whether the item is Canadiana (which goes on dotCA) or of international interest (which might go on either).  Americana goes on the dotCOM site however.

I keep them straight by using the Notes that we can add to our Active Selling List. Just "dotCA 8/15 ", which tells me where and when I listed. I also use Good Til Cancelled/ Fixed Price for the most part so items can languish for months with cheap Store listing fees.

I started using Free Shipping on Letter Rate items when I re-opened my account after a few months off. The drop in the loonie makes it possible to continue this for most sales.

All you have to do is, having used Flat Rate  for the domestic shipments (whether on dotCa or dotCOM) you then use $0.00 as the Flat Rate for the other country.

International/overseas is never Free Shipping of course, but you can enter a reasonable Flat Rate in the appropriate spot in your second Custom Destination section. And of course you pay no shipping FVF on that charge.

I only use US dollars, but I suppose using loonies on dotCA would also be useful.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I list on both eBay.ca and eBay.com

Using Cdn$ on eBay.ca and US$ on eBay.com

ALL listings offer free shipping worldwide (that may not be suitable for many sellers).

"What are the drawbacks? "

Very minor.  From time to time a buyer may buy listings from from both eBay.ca and eBay.com - this will require two invoices and two payments (an extra $0.30 fee to PayPal - no big deal!)

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Your current listings as you have them set up in US$ and flat 2.50 USA shipping could be exactly the same on .com.  the only downside is you'll pay slightly more FVF on sales to USA and intl as it will be on the 2.50 instead of the free

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for your ideas.  I think that I will use .com to list all my Christmas CD's.  I have a couple of hundred.  My sales last year,  if I remember correctly for Christmas CD's were mostly to the US.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply