Does tracking of Registereed Mail work?

I sent an item this past Monday (June 30th)  by Registered Mail to a location outside of Canada. The tracking on Canada Post shows the item as received by the post office and then it disappears - just an arrow showing item is in transit, but not scanned in anywhere

Do I panic? Does Registered Mail usually show tracking like Expedited.

I called Canada Post but they were not very helpful - told me that once the item has left Canada that it won't show up on their system. Anyone had any experience with registered mail going missing?  

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

First- and not exactly related to your question- Registered Mail is NOT accepted as a tracked service and is not considered to be Confirmed Delivery by Paypal. I have no idea why.

One problem with RegisteredMail is that in some languages "Registered' means "Valuable-Steal Me!'. That seems to be why when newer systems of tracking came in Registered dropped out of favour. 

We've been shipping since 1977, and stopped using Registered for anywhere outside North America as soon as other, faster, and better tracked services appeared.

Yes, we've had losses with Registered.

Even so, it is probably still in transit.

Was it going to the USA? Don't forget that you mailed just before Canada Day and today is the American equivalent. There is probably a smaller staff working at North American postal plants than usual.

Also Registered is a sloooooow service at the best of times, unlike ExpressPost and Priority Post, both of which are recognized by Paypal.

You may be able to find your shipment by entering the Canadian barcode number into the receiving nation's post office website. However, it may not get there until Monday.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Consider that business days did not start counting until Wed and Thurs, Friday is a US holiday, you are only two days in.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

"Friday is a US holiday,"

Canada Post no longer offers Registered service to the USA.

Registered is only offer domestically and to overseas destinations.  It is not accepted as "trackable" by PayPal.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Alrighty then, It is Bastille day and still doesn't count.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

"It is Bastille day"

Coming soon... July 14th.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

It was going to the UK. I tried keying in the tracking number into the UK system, but nothing came up. The buyer didn't want tracking that showed a value because the duty and taxes are so high in the UK. So we agreed on Registered Mail - the person at the Canada Post outlet that I go to told me that it was "trackable" and gave me the receipt with the tracking number. I have never used Registered Mail before - I should have asked more questions.

I have sent tons of stuff to the UK and nothing has been lost before. I am likely getting into a panic for nothing.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgregistus-e.asp#137870

Registered Mail - International: customers have the option to purchase an Advice of Receipt card at time of mailing. The Advice of Receipt card provides proof of delivery to the destination.

That seems to be the only proof of delivery and from what I remember, even if you purchased it, an Advice of Receipt is not seen online so as others mentioned, it can not be used for proof of delivery for an inr. 

Off topic but just for general info..

Registered mail within Canada does have proof of delivery online so although some posters have said that paypal does not accept proof of delivery from a registered mail service in any situation as acceptable, that may not be the case with domestic mail.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"It is Bastille day"

FDPMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket
Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@julieo459 wrote:

It was going to the UK. I tried keying in the tracking number into the UK system, but nothing came up. The buyer didn't want tracking that showed a value because the duty and taxes are so high in the UK. So we agreed on Registered Mail - the person at the Canada Post outlet that I go to told me that it was "trackable" and gave me the receipt with the tracking number. I have never used Registered Mail before - I should have asked more questions.

I have sent tons of stuff to the UK and nothing has been lost before. I am likely getting into a panic for nothing.

By-the-by, Julieo, good on you for working with customer. More sellers need to learn that.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

"It is Bastille day"

FDPMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh????   Traduction, SVP! 

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

The buyer didn't want tracking that showed a value because the duty and taxes are so high in the UK. 

So your customer is unwilling to pay the legally required duty and tax? 

Prepare the KY jelly. I see trouble ahead. 

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Ahem

Falling Down Peeing MySelf Laughing

Or? Bastille day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastille_Day

Photobucket
Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Actually I kind of talked him into Registered Mail. The item could have been sent First Class Letter. But, it was a higher value, so I suggested Registered for the tracking. I figured it would arrive early next week - but what I can't understand is that the tracking doesn't show up since the item was dropped at the post office.

Has anyone had this happen - where it just disappears and then reappears? 

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

As I mentioned in other post there is no online delivery confirmation for international registered mail and by that I meant  that there is also no online tracking but I should have been more specific 🙂

It does provide proof of mailing. It also provides proof of delivery if you pay extra for a Proof of Advice.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/mailing/registered_international.jsf?mode...

What is Registered Mail (U.S.A. and International)?

Registered Mail provides proof of mailing for your U.S.A. and International Letter-post items. You get an official date-stamped receipt and up to $60 worth of coverage for loss or damage.

If you need proof that your Letter-post item arrived at its destination, purchase an Advice of Receipt card at the time of mailing for an extra fee.

The Advice of Receipt card is attached to your Registered Mail item. Your recipient signs and dates the card, and returns it to you in the mail. This card is your proof that the recipient received your Registered Mail item.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply

Try checking the number via the UK posit office site, from my experience they always drop off at CP and generally never show as arrived. I go to the destination countries post office (usually Russia for me) and track it there....
Message 16 of 43
latest reply

Yippee! Tracking just showed up on the Canada Post site - my item is in the air and on it's way to the UK! Relief.

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

Actually I kind of talked him into Registered Mail

Julieo,

IMHO that was not a wise move on your part.

In most cases, there is very little justification for using Registered Mail. Besides being unnecessary, Reg Mail tends to be slower than regular mail because it has to pass through a series of "gates" and, as others have pointed out, it draws unwanted attention to itself.  On top of all that, it is extremely expensive, as you know: your buyer paid a fee of $16.50 on top of the already horrendous Canada Post overseas letter rate. And for what? The chances of that item going astray  as a regular letter to the UK are vanishingly small.

Never forget, the postal system - both domestically and internationally - works extraordinarily well. 

Tom

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@julieo459 wrote:

Yippee! Tracking just showed up on the Canada Post site - my item is in the air and on it's way to the UK! Relief.

So much for my theory lol.

But if you read the CP info, there is no mention of tracking so I couldn't always count of having it.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Hi PJ: Tracking normally does show, it is usually very slow/behind but it does normally at least show progress up until arrival in destination country and/or arrival at destination PO. Normally it doesn't show being picked up. I have 3 Registered letters en-route to China at this time, all are showing slow but steady progress.

Julieo as Tom points out, sending registered takes a LOT longer to arrive. At this point I am only forcing it on customers in China due to very high loss rates due to "crime" (I have certain items that are very highly likely to go to China so I plunk a $17.50 international shipping charge on it, which still doesn't seem to stop them from buying them. I would like to do the same with stuff going to Brazil, but sadly I don't have a way to target specific packages highly likely to sell to Brazilians so far.

Other than these two, I wouldn't force/ask it of other countries, so far.
Message 20 of 43
latest reply