Ebay fees on shipping

Why I am desapointed with Ebay )0:   For 1 year I notice that many customers are dissatisfied and buy less and less on EBay because the shipment charges are made too exagerated... What I remark it is that eBay does not help a lot by taking 10 % on fees on  shipment charges )0:  example :  I have customer ask me how much shipping I tell him exactly shipping fees is 45.00$ but I need to add 10% on it to cover ebay fees )0:  now the customer need to pay 49.50$       Why Ebay take 10% fees on shipping ???

Thank you,  Mike

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Ebay fees on shipping

"Why Ebay take 10% fees on shipping ???"

The fee schedule was changed three years ago.  At that time, FVF was lowered (that is something many sellers forget!) on most categories while FVFs were applied to the total amount of the transaction instead of the selling price only.  This move duplicated what eBay's largest competitor had been doing for years.

eBay is an American company.  Based on their experience in the USA, at the time of the change, the reduction in FVF more or less offset the fee charged on the shipping charge.  For example, on a $100 item with a $10 shipping charge, a 1% reduction in FVF offset the fee charged on shipping.

The fee varies from 4% to 10% depending on category and seller TRS status.  The change of policy was also meant to encourage sellers to offer "free shipping" (shipping included in the selling price) which was quickly becoming the standard for online selling.  Three years later, that goal was achieved as more than 55% of all eBay listings now offer "free shipping" domestically. 

The change also help minimize some of the obvious fee avoidance practices where a seller would sell an item for $1 (on which FVF was paid by seller) and charge $50 for shipping (on which no FVF was paid by seller).

Unfortunately, that change did not work well for many Canadian sellers who often have to pay (and charge) higher shipping charges.  The policy change was not made for them.  It also does not work well when an item has a very high shipping cost ($45 for example). 

It is their playground, their rules.  If we Canadians want to play there we have to understand and respect their rules.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

Adding the FVF on shipping to the cost of shipping makes the buyer ask..

What is going on?  Why the high cost in shipping?

Add the FVF on shipping to the price of the item being sold...  and the buyer will not know it is happening!

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

In addition to the lower FVF (and the increased number of free listing promotions), you can reduce the shipping FVF by offering Free Shipping within Canada.

This may not work with your large and heavy items.

But those of us who can, include the cost of domestic shipping in the asking price of the item.

Which is cheapest?

A $10 item with $15 shipping?

A $15 item with $10 shipping?

A $25 item with Free Shipping?

Now, here is the cute part. The seller who offers free domestic shipping is not charged FVF on shipping to the USA or Overseas either!

(Yes, there is FVF on the portion of the asking price which is actually the shipping cost.)

At the moment, your $45CDN  shipping charge is about $36 USD because of the low Canadian dollar.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

I always hated the new rule, one of many pushing us away from ebay.
I can sell my item to a person in Toronto ($8.98 ship?) or California $24.56 ship?) same item. Yet ebay penalizes me for selling to Cali.
That extra charge comes directly from my sale, due to me being an honest seller and not profiteering from shipping costs.
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

The fee ... the FVF...on shipping is calculated on the lowest cost for shipping .... that is to Toronto.... not to California.....

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

As cumos mentioned, if you sell to an international buyer and shipping is more expensive than it would have been for a domestic buyer, you pay fvf on the lower domestic shipping amount.

If you sell to a domestic customer, you always pay fvf on the domestic shipping amount.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

This all started because Ebay wanted us to believe that they cared about some sellers charging absorbent shipping cost. They figured that this is a great way to take a cut for themselves and look like the good guy doing it.

The problems with this. First- it hasnt changed those sellers from still charging crazy shipping charges and second- with the GS program who is charging the absorbent rates now.

Pierre says; its there rules and we have to play and  respect it. Yes we have to play in it, and I completely understand, but very far from respect.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

"This all started because Ebay wanted us to believe that they cared about some sellers charging absorbent shipping cost."

I am sorry to say that is incorrect.  Yes that message has been repeated by many posters but it does not make it right, does it?

Please allow me to copy what I posted earlier on the subject:

The fee schedule was changed three years ago.  At that time, FVF was lowered (that is something many sellers forget!) on most categories while FVFs were applied to the total amount of the transaction instead of the selling price only.  This move duplicated what eBay's largest competitor had been doing for years.

eBay is an American company.  Based on their experience in the USA, at the time of the change, the reduction in FVF more or less offset the fee charged on the shipping charge.  For example, on a $100 item with a $10 shipping charge, a 1% reduction in FVF offset the fee charged on shipping.

The fee varies from 4% to 10% depending on category and seller TRS status.  The change of policy was also meant to encourage sellers to offer "free shipping" (shipping included in the selling price) which was quickly becoming the standard for online selling.  Three years later, that goal was achieved as more than 55% of all eBay listings now offer "free shipping" domestically. 

The change also help minimize some of the obvious fee avoidance practices where a seller would sell an item for $1 (on which FVF was paid by seller) and charge $50 for shipping (on which no FVF was paid by seller).

Unfortunately, that change did not work well for many Canadian sellers who often have to pay (and charge) higher shipping charges.  The policy change was not made for them.  It also does not work well when an item has a very high shipping cost ($45 for example). 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

"This move duplicated what eBay's largest competitor had been doing for years."

I personally find that kind of action by any company as nothing more than a poor excuse to generate additional revenue, (money grab), and you know thats really the part of the game. Its like the oil industry constantly making up lame excuses to get a little more out of consumers. Like the oil industry, if you dont like the prices , you can always walk.

Even if could agree that if the Jones are doing it then we should do it to. I would have to ask why then should we be charged any kind of insertion fees. There are competitors out there have no charges for insertions and offer a less fvf. Or is it that Ebay chooses who the competitor will be based on Ebay's interest . (who charges the most fees)?

I would be curious to see if 2 different sellers were selling the same item say 1 charged a hundred dollars and $15 for shipping and the other was selling an item at $115. Which would sell faster? I ve listed both ways and have found the lower list price wins every-time. Thats just me. 

"The change also help minimize some of the obvious fee avoidance practices where a seller would sell an item for $1 (on which FVF was paid by seller) and charge $50 for shipping (on which no FVF was paid by seller)."

The problem is that they are still out there. Maybe not to what you discribed. There could have been a better way than stinging all of us.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

Actually that should be possible to find.

Use Search on closed items and compare the selling prices of identical items.

Of course, it would also be necessary to adjust for similar feedback, location, TRS, and description.

And a fairly long period of time to allow for enough comparables. Perhaps a month.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

Although many sellers complain about the FVFs on shipping, there is another side to that coin.  

Consider this: It is not only possible, but easy, under the current eBay fee system to never (or at least rarely) pay any FVFs on shipping if a seller properly analyzes his/her market and arranges shipping costs accordingly.  

By charging FVFs only on the first domestic shipping cost, eBay has in effect given Canadians a gift in comparison to our U.S. counterparts.  For Canadian sellers who either sell a majority of their products to U.S. buyers, or who would like to sell more to the U.S., this has opened up the U.S. market at no additional cost in fees.  

I don't know whether U.S. sellers pay FVFs based only on the first domestic shipping cost, but if they do, they are at a disadvantage fee-wise since I would imagine that the majority of U.S. sellers sell to U.S. buyers. So their only real options to avoid FVFs on shipping are either to roll the shipping cost into pricing (which I don't personally feel is a good idea, as it makes for a less competitive-looking item price), or offer truly free shipping. 

Canadians, on the other hand, have 3 options (including the two that the U.S. sellers have).  However, in my view the best of these 3 options is to lower or completely eliminate domestic shipping cost (totally free shipping), especially if a significant percentage of a Canadian seller's business goes to the U.S. or overseas. Over the course of each month, any losses on "subsidizing" your Canadian buyers' shipping (including any FVFs you might pay) will be more than made up for in $0 FVFs on all your U.S. and international shipping.  

Now granted, the only situation in which this won't work well is if you know that a majority of your items will be selling to Canadian buyers only.  However, if that's the case, and you're able to ship most of your items via lettermail, you're saving money on basic shipping costs anyway.  And you may be able to lower those shipping costs enough to avoid unreasonable FVFs on shipping. 

I feel that many sellers don't see the forest for the trees where FVFs on shipping is concerned.  For a lot of Canadian sellers, it's very simple to completely avoid FVFs on shipping.  I rarely pay them myself, or if I do, it's very minimal. 

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

"So their only real options to avoid FVFs on shipping are either to roll the shipping cost into pricing "

And that is exactly what American sellers do.,  The majority of listings (more than 55%) on eBay.com, listed by American sellers, do in fact offer "free shipping" domestically.

It is something some Canadians have difficulty understanding at times considering our high shipping costs.  It is easier for Americans since they all compete in the same marketplace, facing similar shipping options and costs.

That said, yes Canadians offering "free shipping" domestically do save on FVFs.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

@pierrelebel wrote:

The majority of listings (more than 55%) on eBay.com, listed by American sellers, do in fact offer "free shipping" domestically.

If, as you say, the majority of those U.S. sellers offering free shipping are rolling the shipping cost into item cost, I can imagine that an interesting situation may result once things get to a "critical mass".  

It's conceivable that the price competition problem (in offering an item at a higher price that includes shipping) will disappear as more and more sellers do precisely that.  

Customers will be paying what they always did (item price + shipping), but the item prices will comparatively look similar between sellers offering similar products.  At the moment, if a buyer looks at the item price first and foremost, a $50 item with $10 shipping may look better than a $60 item price with free shipping.  

If almost everybody is rolling their shipping costs into the pricing, it sets up a new paradigm of competitive pricing.  A high tide floats all boats.

The really intriguing question is: how does this benefit eBay?  Higher FVFs, because the rolled-in shipping cost increases the end selling price?  Or just more sales (more FVFs for eBay) because people think they're getting completely free shipping?

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

@pierrelebel wrote:

"So their only real options to avoid FVFs on shipping are either to roll the shipping cost into pricing "

And that is exactly what American sellers do.,  The majority of listings (more than 55%) on eBay.com, listed by American sellers, do in fact offer "free shipping" domestically.

It is something some Canadians have difficulty understanding at times considering our high shipping costs.  It is easier for Americans since they all compete in the same marketplace, facing similar shipping options and costs.

That said, yes Canadians offering "free shipping" domestically do save on FVFs.

Perceptions. It "costs" $8.13 to mail a Small Packet to the US. Not me. It costs me $6.73. I do all my work in US dollars.

Actually, because I am moving more and more into shipping included, it costs me nothing as I do not line itemize ALL costs. Either I can make a profit or I cannot. Do you line itemize, the bubble mailer, bubble wrap, each piece of paper you print, the electricity for the light above your work station, the apportioned property taxes for your home office, car insurance for driving to the PO, etc?

Interestingly, my cost structure went down, dramatically, moving from Ontario to Manitoba. All overhead went down. COGS sold went down. Friend of mine in Ontario budgets up to $20 per retail $100 for parts acquisition. I like to budget $5. That is, $5 Cdn per $100 retail US.

Regardless, all of my costs and overhead are rolled into my selling price.

Someone here once said "Not everything is worth selling on  eBay".  

Photobucket
Message 15 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

@femmefan1946 wrote:

But those of us who can, include the cost of domestic shipping in the asking price of the item.

Which is cheapest?

A $10 item with $15 shipping?

A $15 item with $10 shipping?

A $25 item with Free Shipping?

I'm probably old-fashioned, but I always have a problem with this concept.  If a seller advertises "free shipping", I don't expect that to mean I'm paying for my own shipping, to one extent or another. 

I find the idea of rolling the shipping cost into the item pricing and then claiming that free shipping rather disingenuous, a sort of pull-the-wool-over-your-eyes style of selling.  It smacks to me of snake oil salesmen and free "bonuses" that turn out not to be free at all.  We've all been the victims of that sort of marketing at one time or another, when we've forgotten about caveat emptor in our excitement to get a "deal".  

I personally won't do this to my customers, as a matter of integrity.  When I offer free shipping, the item price doesn't change.  Yes, I suffer some losses on that score, but the way I look at it is that even one extra sale per month due to (truly) free shipping will pay for the shipping on all the others.  The buyers win, and I win.  Of course this doesn't work on items requiring higher shipping costs, but with those I use a different strategy to keep costs down for my buyers.  

Simply a different perspective (and, dare I say, more honest to the customer?). 

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

"how does this benefit eBay?"

More FVF collected on more sales by sellers.

'because people think they're getting completely free shipping?"

Most folks are not stupid and understand that shipping - like all other costs - is included in the selling price.

However, eBay is trying - and so fact succeeding - to convince American sellers to compete with the overall trend in online commerce which is "free shipping".  In the USA where eBay is based and where decisions are made the trend towards "free shipping" online is clearly there and growing.

eBay is a very small percentage of the overall e-commerce.  And, despite its growth, that percentage is getting smaller every year as e-commerce is growing faster than eBay as more and more large and small retailers are going online.

For readers with some time to invest to better understand the issue, I urge you to follow some of the links offered by Google:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=online+free+shipping+trend&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=gHVPVeGeE5K...

If American eBay sellers fail to compete with others offering "free shipping", eBay will soon cease to grow and eventually exist.

As Canadians, piggybacking on that American success story, we either adapt or jump ship.

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Perceptions. It "costs" $8.13 to mail a Small Packet to the US. Not me. It costs me $6.73. I do all my work in US dollars. 

I agree with you.  I've never considered my shipping costs to the U.S. to be high.  

Like you, selling in $US but paying my shipping in $Cdn currently lowers those costs significantly. In fact, since Canada Post made changes in the weight breaks in Light Packet, I'm finding I'm actually paying only $0.10 more to ship the same sort of item to the U.S. as to an address within Canada by lettermail.  

A lot of my items fall into the 200-220gm weight range.  A 220gm item to the U.S. is currently $5.00 US (about $4.20 Cdn right now), whereas the same item is $4.10 Cdn to ship by lettermail within Canada.  Not bad! 

And I've always liked the fact that there are more service options available to ship to the U.S. than within Canada.  

Granted, shipping anything over 2.0cm in thickness within Canada is expensive.  So I simply don't sell anything large that's not worth the cost of shipping within Canada.  It's unfortunate, but c'est la vie on eBay. 

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

While this article is slightly outdated, it makes interesting reading:

http://www.retaildive.com/news/6-shipping-expectations-e-retailers-cannot-ignore/225368/

Please keep in mind the perspective is American, not Canadian.  However decisions on eBay are made based on the American experience.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Ebay fees on shipping

Actually, because I am moving more and more into shipping included, it costs me nothing as I do not line itemize ALL costs.

Of course it costs you something unless CP is not charging you for shipping and you get all your shipping supplies for free.  You may not itemize your costs when you price an item but that doesn't mean that the expense isn't there.

Regardless, all of my costs and overhead are rolled into my selling price

Exactly. They (including shipping) are still costs regardless if you charge separately or not. In the end, it comes out of your profits.

I like to budget $5. That is, $5 Cdn per $100 retail US.

Fantastic. But as mentioned before, that is not the norm for all sellers here so any extra costs added may not affect you as much as it affects others. But that doesn't mean that shipping costs are not a legitimate concern for some.

Someone here once said "Not everything is worth selling on  eBay".  

Just once? lol

Message 20 of 43
latest reply