Ebay lets buyer wins over a return case

publicapps
Community Member

Hello, I  sold a shoes on June 19, 2016 to a buyer. I shipped the item to the buyer, where was no problem at all. The buyer received the item on June 28, 2016.

Until today, June 29, 2016, the buyer opens a case describing that "The item is wrong size received". The buyer posts a shoes picture which is showing that the size he/she received is incorrect.  I mean... is not that ridiculous (B.S)? purchased item over a month ago and now wanting to return describing "size not right". 

The ebay customer service told me that ebay policy is 30 days if the item received incorrect or not received etc but this is OVER 31 days. 

** PS. my store policy is 14 days return if received wrong size / item etc.

I am very much concerned that 

1. Why did the buyer open a case this late? (31 days after received the item) and saying that the size is wrong 

2. The buyer can possibly buy it from anywhere (since the shoes is branded) but, why ebay decided to go on side with the buyer. (Ebay customer service said I must allow the buyer to return) W.T.......

I am really sorry but, I am pretty much very disappointed with the ebay customer service and its policy.

Are there any other sellers out there who gets this type of buyers as well? How do you handle it.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Thirty days-- but remember time zones and that eBay counts to the minute.

Also while dotCA time is Eastern, dot COM is Pacific.

So that may explain the 30-31 dichotomy.

For the rest, don't ignore the problem. Tell the buyer to return the shoes for a full refund.

Problem, if he is not in Canada you cannot send him a Return Shipping Label.

he buyer opens a case describing that "The item is wrong size received". The buyer posts a shoes picture which is showing that the size he/she received is incorrect.  I mean... is not that ridiculous (B.S)? purchased item over a month ago and now wanting to return describing "size not right". 

Is the reason Not As Described?

Did you sell a Size 12 but he got a Size 10, for example?

Or were they the size you sold, but they just don't fit?

If the latter, that is a Buyer Remorse and you shouldn't have to pay for return shipping. If the former, I hope you have been polite and friendly with the buyer, because you need him to trust you.

What you want is him to return the shoes for a full refund (DON'T PANIC!). What he wants is you to pay for the return shipping.

You want to have the shoes in your hands and be able to decide if they were worn (and therefore not longer as saleable) or are the same shoes before refunding anything.

If they are exactly what you sent, but don't match the description, the buyer is right. You owe him money including the return shipping.

Again DON'T PANIC!  Not every sale will go perfectly --- and if these are high priced sports shoes you are selling in a very high fraud category-- and not only on the buyer side.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

publicapps
Community Member
Hi, thank you for replying to my threat.

I sold the shoes size 8 which I sent the size 8 but the buyer showed the shoes he/ she received was size 7.5. The buyer opens a case item not as described about sizing and wanting to return for exchange or get full refund. The buyer says he/ she wants to exchange to size 8.5 instead because it does not fit. I feel like the buyer is playing with the buyer protection program.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Your listing says the shoes are 

US Shoe Size (Women's): 4
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@publicapps wrote:

Hello, I  sold a shoes on June 19, 2016 to a buyer. I shipped the item to the buyer, where was no problem at all. The buyer received the item on June 28, 2016.

June 19?  And were the shoes shipped from China?  

Are you located in China or are you drop-shipping?  

Can you post the ITEM NUMBER for the shoes that you sold to this buyer?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

publicapps
Community Member
Hi, this is not the shoes I'm selling.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

publicapps
Community Member
Tracking number LX954438995CN
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

publicapps
Community Member
Now the buyer knows he/ she can't win. The buyer now said he/ she will claim over on PayPal instead.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@publicapps wrote:
Tracking number LX954438995CN

That is not the item number from the listing, it is the tracking number for the package.  It shows it was mailed from China to NSW Australia.  

The basic principles apply.  The buyer has 30 days AFTER the last estimated delivery date to start a claim on eBay.  For a PayPal claim it is 180 days from payment.  Your buyer has started a claim about the wrong size.  If a wrong size was sent that is a NOT AS DESCRIBED claim and you have to deal with it.  

Now the buyer knows he/ she can't win. The buyer now said he/ she will claim over on PayPal instead.

Don't be so sure.

Is there some reason you are not posting the item number?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Ummm-- thread not threat. The words don't mean the same.

The buyer now said he/ she will claim over on PayPal instead.

A Paypal claim is to your benefit.
Whlle eBay will want you to pay the buyer's return postage, Paypal considers that the responsiblity of the buyer.
Good.
If your buyer is messing with you, it will cost her whatever the price of the parcel with Confirmation of Delivery. (If she is in Canada,  that's any parcel service of course, but if she is in the USA, she's looking at much higher costs.)

However.
Did you personally pack the shoes?

If you are dropshipping, as has been suggested,  you have no idea what the customer received.
Getting the return and refunding the customer might be well worth the cost of postage, if only to see what you have been peddling.

Do you have a pair of shoes in Size 8.5 in your hands?
If you do, then tell the customer to return the ones she has, and when you get them back, charge her for the new shipping and replace the original pair.

Retail is not easy. Most of your customers are honest, but they do not think the way you do.
And not every sale will go perfectly.

What you want is to have a profit at the end of the year (or month if you are selling strongly). Then the odd transaction that goes sideways is just a blip.

Best wishes.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Oh my dear, have you looked at your listing for Converse shoes?

Did you notice you are not only giving links to competitors but that one of those competitors has the shoes you are selling at $42 on offer at $5.99?

With Free Shipping.

Since you are obviously dropshipping, and since your supplier is giving you terrible templates, give in to your complaining customer before your selling career ends abruptly.

Cave.

Now. Refund.

Don't ask for the undoubtedly counterfeit ($5.99 really?) Chucks back. Selling counterfeits is very very illegal.

Converse may make their shoes in China, but those are made under contract to specific standards. If the manufacturer doesn't meet those standards, the shoes are not accepted for sale and are supposed to be destroyed.

Then the shoes are sold through Converse' authorized dealer network.

Don't be naive.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Converse may make their shoes in China, but those are made under contract to specific standards. If the manufacturer doesn't meet those standards, the shoes are not accepted for sale and are supposed to be destroyed.

Then the shoes are sold through Converse' authorized dealer network.

Don't be naive.

So many of the listings for those look like they are the same including recently registered in Canada.  With no item number nobody else can really see exactly WHAT the problem is.  If you are right about those shoes being factory "seconds" it may be why because the sizes were wrongly labelled.  Either that or the wrong size was shipped.  I don't think a personal return policy that says items can be returned only "within 14 days of it being dispatched" is being very realistic.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I think that seller-stipulated time-limit pertains only to Returns for Reasons of Remorse on ebay. 

There would be a 180-day limit for SNAD (or INR) by paypal, regardless of how any seller felt about it. It's part of the paypal Buyer Protection. 

I don't, however, think the OP heard what he or she hoped to hear from members about this and I somehow doubt that they are checking back. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I think that seller-stipulated time-limit pertains only to Returns for Reasons of Remorse on ebay. 

Agreed.  I'm still not sure about 2 weeks from the time its put in the mail.  Whoever set up that time frame did not grow up with Canada Post.  

I don't, however, think the OP heard what he or she hoped to hear from members about this and I somehow doubt that they are checking back. 

Strange situation.  If size 8 was ordered and 7.5 sent that's NAD.  Bit if size 8 was ordered and size 8 sent but they don't fit, "don't fit" is Remorse.  If the buyer is saying now that they want 8.5 instead that would seem like Remorse but the OP would have to see what gets mailed back.  If anything.  Is there a policy for Wrong size sent but while we're at it I'll have a half size larger than what I ordered the first time?

Glad its not my mess!   🙂  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

That thought crossed my mind as well.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

If you go to that 5.99 listing the show are $42. The box is $5.99. Search manipulation.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you go to that 5.99 listing the show are $42. The box is $5.99. Search manipulation.

Good call!  And that's not allowed.  Sellers are not allowed to list with variations when one of the items is not the same but just there to make the price of the pictured items look lower.  Sleazy.  Very sleazy.  

Message 17 of 17
latest reply