Effective June 1 you will only be able to list in CDN dollars

21 REPLIES 21

As long as Canadian sellers still receive listing promos for .com it's not the end of the world, but it remains to be seen if we will.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I'm a Canadian which sell 95% in the USA so USD currency is needed. USA buyer doesn't want to pay conversion fees to pay in CAD.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Guess I won't be buying stuff in US dollars anymore from the US and China. Too Bad SO Sad

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I am not sure how the accounting will be effected.  The Ebay sales reports I download currently show my sales in US dollars as that is what I mainly sell.  If I sell both CDN and US dollars will the reports separate or blend the two different currencies together.....or does one report need to be downloaded from the ca site and the other from the .com?  Does anybody have any experience with this topic?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too, I am a Canadian seller, I am sure we will get lots of complaints from US buyers when they get invoices in CAN currency and also get confused.  We may lose some potential sales, is it that purpose of eBay's doing for Canadian sellers?

What if our dollars go back to $1.00 even with US $1.00 and we may go through all over again and allow to list our items in US currency???

It should be OUR CHOICE, period!!  Come on, eBay stop wanting to take too much POWER over us!!!  eBay should be just a venue and we list our items with our choice of currently.   We don't need eBay "telling" us how to run our businesses!!

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

hlmacdon seems to have experience with multicurrency accounting and might have more advice, as per what he posted here: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Promotions-this-morning-Canadian-currency-only/m-p/32991...

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I remember the good old days when I first began selling & eBay encouraged all sellers to use US currency as it was better accepted around the world & sales were higher.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I don't want Canadian Money.

If I want it I can go to the Bank.

The only good thing about selling stuff on Ebay was being able to get US currency to be able to buy goods in US dollars. I pity any Canadian power sellers that have to buy stuff from China in US dollars.

Guess they don't want business anymore?????

They need to think before they change the playing field around !!!!!

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

"It should be OUR CHOICE, period!!"

It is your choice.

Every seller has the option to list on whatever eBay site they wish - in the currency of that site.

eBay.ca will simply have Canadian dollar as its currency - just like all other eBay sites use the currency of the country and only the currency of the country. 

It does not prevent a Canadian, an Australian or a British to list on eBay.com in US$ if they prefer to list in US$ instead of their own country's currency.

On a more personal note, I noticed every one of your many posts is highly critical of eBay.  Why bother?  If eBay is as bad as you describe it in every single post, maybe it is time to look at alternatives or go through an attitude adjustment.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Moved my post from my own (duplicate) thread.

Just received this notice.......US Dollar listing on .ca ends June 1st.

While I would like to continue using US Dollars eBay's answer (list on .com instead) doesn't work for me to well as long as Shipping Caps in Media continue.

Maybe eBay can toss us a bone and exempt Canadian sellers from this requirement (would be a good move for ALL non-US sellers).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Pierre 

We will see how long that lasts, that you will be able to post on the US site directly and then you need to play with the shipping on top of that.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

"exempt Canadian sellers from this requirement"

Great idea.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

"We will see how long that lasts,"

It has been like that on eBay.com since 1995.  Nothing new.

Canadians, Australians, British and sellers from other countries are always welcome to list on eBay.com - in US$ - following the rules of eBay.com.

I have listed on eBay.com since 1998 and will continue to do so.  No big deal.

Over the years I have also listed extensively on eBay.ca in Cdn$, on eBay.uk in Sterling and eBay.fr in Euro. No big deal.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I am not just a seller but a buyer too. So this will impact me when purchasing products in US funds. My husband buys a lot of electronic parts on eBay & other sites & likes having US funds in our PayPal account.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"We will see how long that lasts,"

It has been like that on eBay.com since 1995.  Nothing new.

Canadians, Australians, British and sellers from other countries are always welcome to list on eBay.com - in US$ - following the rules of eBay.com.

I have listed on eBay.com since 1998 and will continue to do so.  No big deal.

Over the years I have also listed extensively on eBay.ca in Cdn$, on eBay.uk in Sterling and eBay.fr in Euro. No big deal.

A modern multicurrency ecommerce site would not require workarounds of that nature.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

"A modern multicurrency ecommerce site would not require workarounds of that nature."

If we lived in a perfect world...... In the meantime....

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Moved my post from my own (duplicate) thread.

Just received this notice.......US Dollar listing on .ca ends June 1st.

While I would like to continue using US Dollars eBay's answer (list on .com instead) doesn't work for me to well as long as Shipping Caps in Media continue.

Maybe eBay can toss us a bone and exempt Canadian sellers from this requirement (would be a good move for ALL non-US sellers).

This would be a really good point to bring up on the Wednesday Weekly Chat Session.  Not just once but if seller after seller keeps bringing this up so it won't be swept under the rug.  Canada Post has no Media Mail rate like a lot of other countries so if ebay wants people to list on dot com to sell in USD then all international sellers will need to be exempt from the US shipping cap.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I have a .com and a .ca store, I list in all US dollars as about 96% of my buyers are from the US.

I have a situation this morning where a buyer purchased 2 items from one store and 3 from another. I know that this is not ideal because I have to send  separate invoices because they can't be combined.

How confusing is this going to be when one invoice is in USD and the other in Canadian?

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

"I have a .com and a .ca store"

When I check you store "Triber Crafts and Collectibles" under your selling ID "triber"  I see listings in US$.

What is the name of your store listing in Cdn$  and under what selling ID?

Why do you feel the need to have two stores and pay two monthly fees when it is not necessary to do so as all listings, regardless of the currency used or the site where listed could all be combined neatly in one and only one eBay store (with only one monthly fee)?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply