Re: Everyone should read this

Looks like some of my post was truncated;  here is a link to the original post:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/New-Ebay-Survey/5200012986

There are some really scary ideas here.

Ann

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Geez they have been letting the MBAs out to play again.

That one about giving a deposit and getting the item is terrifying.

Have none of these guys ever worked for WalMart? Or FutureShop?

"Oh yeah, give us $25 bucks and take the 75" home theatre package home. Unpack it, set it up and try it for a month. Then if you don't like it, bring it back for a full refund of your deposit."

"Or at least, maybe you could let us know where you pawned it? Please?"

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

"Oh yeah, give us $25 bucks and take the 75" home theatre package home. Unpack it, set it up and try it for a month. Then if you don't like it, bring it back for a full refund of your deposit."

"Or at least, maybe you could let us know where you pawned it? Please?"

Obviously I must shop at the wrong places because noone has ever let me do that! Sheesh

Who comes up with this stuff??

It sounds like not only do they want every ebay seller to provide all the perks that large companies like Neiman Marcus do, they also want us to provide perks that are even more unrealistic.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

bilge21
Community Member

What the heck are schools teaching thier MBA students these days??

Some of the questions make me glad I am not in an expensive item category.

And Ebay even asking about Ebay financing some purchases is ridiculous. The scammers and ID thieves would be all over those and it's the sellers that would be hurting since Ebay would simply steal thier money back via Paypal.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It's been a couple of decades, but I used to work in a store that occasionally had those "Do Not Pay for 12 Months" deals.

The thing was , the store was paid immediately by Household Finance (remember them?). The cost of the HFC service was included in the price of the items. If the customer did not pay up at the 12 month mark, HFC would charge amazing interest (over 30% a year) until it was paid.

It was not a good deal for the buyer. (And interestingly it was our low end furniture that got most of the "do not pay" deals.)

My point, is that, done carefully, this sort of program does not hurt the seller. But it does push up the price of the items sold under the promotion, so it is not actually good for the buyer. And the finance agent has to be very firm about collections.

BTW, if you are ever tempted by one of these deals, ask the salesman what his cash price for the item would be. And have real cash handy, not cheque or credit card. Then you get a Deal! 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Mail the item... and then get paid after the buyer receives the purchase..

The scammers are going to go on a buying spree...

Buy 10,000 items... get them shipped... Receive them... and then cancel all accounts... on eBay ...  on Paypal... with your bank... your credit card...

Did I leave something out...

should also move without a forwarding address

There will be a lot of buyers looking to make it big.....

Totally contrary to mail order buying.... historically people paid when they bought  and returned for refund  if item was not acceptable... as it is right now.....

and if the scammers hit  ... eBay is responsible for paying the sellers for lost inventory... No fees charged...no insertion fees... no FVF... No Paypal fees....... like an insurance policy with Canada Post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Local thrift stories  made books,  CD's and DVD's as Final sale.

People would buy a book ... read it and then return within 7 days.

The thrift store became a lending library.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Shipping without a tracking number would be suicide...  but then buyer only pays are item received.

No tracking number... no record of receipt of parcel....Buyer does not have to pay

Guaranteed that if eBay follows through there will be a lot of fallout.

Me included...  By then  I will be fully retired  and living comfortably without selling on ebay.

and there goes close to 50 % of all the Canadian history book on eBay..

Canadiana  would be dead....

Message 9 of 9
latest reply