February 18th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

If your fingers aren't too frozen, we're hoping you'll join us for this week's Board Hour. Please go ahead and start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: February 18th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Re: February 11th 2015 Weekly Board Hour ****Continued**** in reply to raphael@ebay.com‎02-11-2015 01:22 PM PayPal's response was not acceptable. It assumed that the products are suspect counterfeit, when in fact all the evidence required to prove they were counterfeit was submitted at the time of the claim. This same evidence was acceptable to the RCMP. Therefore, PayPal's determination of my claim was incompetent. The seller is currently selling a Samsung Tablet which is highly likely to be counterfeit as he has refused to provide its FCC ID. He is selling that tablet to the USA market and is therefore required to provide the certification information requested. That FCC ID is searchable on their website to prove if the product is genuine. Therefore, I understand why he won't provide it. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ I'm pleased to announce, that my credit card company has credited my account with the full amount of this transaction (Through no help from eBay/PayPal). Now, I believe that I deserve an apology from eBay/PayPal but more importantly, what about all the other buyers who were (are being) ripped-off by this seller? In my opinion, eBay has a legal, civil and/or moral obligation to inform them and provide for appropriate recourse. [**] I would strongly suggest that eBay takes additional measures to clean-up its marketplace (Current measures are lacking) before governments step-in and do it, with all the associated restrictions and red-tape. One possibility would be, for goods which need to be certified (ie. wireless phones) that eBay should require sellers to post the certification(s) within their listing (ie. FCC ID). Then eBay could automatically add a "What's This" note to the certifications for the benefit/protection of potential buyers.

**EDITED by Raphael to remove item IDs. Please keep your posts aligned with the Community guidelines, which you can review here: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Re: February 11th 2015 Weekly Board Hour ****Continued****

in reply to raphael@ebay.com

‎02-11-2015 01:22 PM

PayPal's response was not acceptable. It assumed that the products are suspect counterfeit, when in fact all the evidence required to prove they were counterfeit was submitted at the time of the claim. This same evidence was acceptable to the RCMP. Therefore, PayPal's determination of my claim was incompetent.

The seller is currently selling a Samsung Tablet which is highly likely to be counterfeit as he has refused to provide its FCC ID. He is selling that tablet to the USA market and is therefore required to provide the certification information requested. That FCC ID is searchable on their website to prove if the product is genuine. Therefore, I understand why he won't provide it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm pleased to announce, that my credit card company has credited my account with the full amount of this transaction (Through no help from eBay/PayPal). Now, I believe that I deserve an apology from eBay/PayPal but more importantly, what about all the other buyers who were (are being) ripped-off by this seller? In my opinion, eBay has a legal, civil and/or moral obligation to inform them and provide for appropriate recourse. 

[**]

I would strongly suggest that eBay takes additional measures to clean-up its marketplace (Current measures are lacking) before governments step-in and do it, with all the associated restrictions and red-tape. One possibility would be, for goods which need to be certified (ie. wireless phones) that eBay should require sellers to post the certification(s) within their listing (ie. FCC ID). Then eBay could automatically add a "What's This" note to the certifications for the benefit/protection of potential buyers.

eBay censored more than the Item IDs

**EDITED by Raphael. Please carefully review the guidelines. In fact your whole post is against policy. Please stop putting this post back. This is your last warning.

Discussion_boards_usage_policy.jpg

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Further to your favourite subject (cart disconnect), here are some creative suggestions that have been made by sellers on the discussion boards this week, as alternatives to listing on .com to deal with the issue of U.S. buyers being unable to make multiple-item orders using the US cart.  Could you comment on the feasibility of these and any problems you see that might be associated with them? 

1)  Canadian sellers be given a means to place a banner or notice prominently on their listings and/or store pages to direct U.S. buyers to the .ca site if buyers are having problems making purchases.  For example, store owners have this kind of option for "vacation" settings.  EBay could even design the text, just as long as it functioned across listings and store pages (for store owners).  Then those Cdn sellers who didn't want it could just choose not to use it. 

2)  EBay put this notice up somewhere where U.S. buyers are likely to see it (pop-up during the checkout process perhaps?). 

3)  Cdn sellers use "Immediate Payment Required" on all their listings.  I assume this would make combined orders impossible, but at least would do away with US buyers getting an "Item Not Available" message when trying to add 2 or more items to their cart from a Cdn seller. 

4)  Change the "Item Not Available" message noted above to "Please log onto eBay.ca to complete this purchase", or (even better perhaps), provide an actual link for the US buyer to jump to .ca. 

Hope springs eternal....

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

At what point are we going to be informed of promising evidence that there will be an error free functioning method put in place for .com buyers to combine and pay for multiple items from .ca sellers.

I`ve being informed by numerous ebay employees and supervisors that they started on Dec. 7, 2015 and was to be resolved on or before Mar. 7, 2015. Every response on your part tells us that they have no intentions on working or fixing the issue as they believe there isn`t a problem. I don`t find it amusing whatsoever, but rather insulting, if your statements are correct and we are being lied to on numerous occasions ebay. 

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Oh yes, last (and probably least) suggestion re my post above: 

5)  Remove the cart from eBay.ca -- if this would do no good, please clarify why. 

(Would you mind please giving your explanation again here for all to read concerning the coincidental timing of Immediate Payment Required on .com and how that affected the Canadian cart.  I think a lot of people, including myself, did not know this)

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I have to pose the question and probably depart, unfortunately. (Midday mid-week is nearly impossible for me to participate in a board hour like this one which is the reason I nearly never do despite all my burning questions and/or issues.) I will return if I am able. 

My question is this: What can eBay do to protect its members from harassment at the hands of other members? 

On several occasions over the past two years, I have evoked the ire of another member(s) who will send me repeated unsolicited, nonsensical messages. Not one, but many. Over hours, days, weeks or months. I do not respond. They are rarely if ever the type of message or comment that one can respond to without evoking further offence. 

Allow me to stress these people are NOT buyers of mine (and never have been) and are immediately added to my blocked ID list. They may or may not, however, be competitors. They may or may not have multiple accounts on eBay OR sell similar products outside of eBay. 

My issue is this: Reporting them to eBay does nothing to halt the onslaught of rambling profanity-laced messages. Blocking them does nothing to stop it either. They can still go to any one of my listings and 'ask a question' or go to my feedback page to 'contact seller' to do it.

What should eBay be doing to prevent abuse like this through its Messages platform? I'm not prepared to 'ignore the offenders' either as in at least one case, there are overt and/or implied threats being uttered that I'd like to be kept aware of. Dealing with this is a colossal waste of my time (as well as cyber-bullying) which the authority in this case being eBay should be obligated, in my opinion, to stop.

It is exclusively because I sell on eBay that I have drawn the attention of these offenders; eBay Messages is being used to commit the offense; eBay should be the governing body to stop it. No?

Thank you for your kind attention to the matter. I look forward to hearing what suggestions can be offered to solve this problem.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@ewatson2003 wrote:

Re: February 11th 2015 Weekly Board Hour ****Continued**** in reply to raphael@ebay.com‎02-11-2015 01:22 PM PayPal's response was not acceptable. It assumed that the products are suspect counterfeit, when in fact all the evidence required to prove they were counterfeit was submitted at the time of the claim. This same evidence was acceptable to the RCMP. Therefore, PayPal's determination of my claim was incompetent. The seller is currently selling a Samsung Tablet which is highly likely to be counterfeit as he has refused to provide its FCC ID. He is selling that tablet to the USA market and is therefore required to provide the certification information requested. That FCC ID is searchable on their website to prove if the product is genuine. Therefore, I understand why he won't provide it. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ I'm pleased to announce, that my credit card company has credited my account with the full amount of this transaction (Through no help from eBay/PayPal). Now, I believe that I deserve an apology from eBay/PayPal but more importantly, what about all the other buyers who were (are being) ripped-off by this seller? In my opinion, eBay has a legal, civil and/or moral obligation to inform them and provide for appropriate recourse. [**] I would strongly suggest that eBay takes additional measures to clean-up its marketplace (Current measures are lacking) before governments step-in and do it, with all the associated restrictions and red-tape. One possibility would be, for goods which need to be certified (ie. wireless phones) that eBay should require sellers to post the certification(s) within their listing (ie. FCC ID). Then eBay could automatically add a "What's This" note to the certifications for the benefit/protection of potential buyers.

**EDITED by Raphael to remove item IDs. Please keep your posts aligned with the Community guidelines, which you can review here: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

Hello ewatson2003,

I appreciate what you are saying and your concerns with keeping eBay a safe and fraud-free marketplace. However as I explained to you last week, just because you can't see anything change on a seller's listings doesn't mean nothing's been done. Following reports from members, we never disclose the results of our investigations or any details on action taken against another member. We would hold the same regard to your own privacy if another member would ask about your account.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Its obvious that eBay/PayPal's self regulation in not the venue I need to present my concerns...

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Further to your favourite subject (cart disconnect), here are some creative suggestions that have been made by sellers on the discussion boards this week, as alternatives to listing on .com to deal with the issue of U.S. buyers being unable to make multiple-item orders using the US cart.  Could you comment on the feasibility of these and any problems you see that might be associated with them? 

1)  Canadian sellers be given a means to place a banner or notice prominently on their listings and/or store pages to direct U.S. buyers to the .ca site if buyers are having problems making purchases.  For example, store owners have this kind of option for "vacation" settings.  EBay could even design the text, just as long as it functioned across listings and store pages (for store owners).  Then those Cdn sellers who didn't want it could just choose not to use it. 

2)  EBay put this notice up somewhere where U.S. buyers are likely to see it (pop-up during the checkout process perhaps?). 

3)  Cdn sellers use "Immediate Payment Required" on all their listings.  I assume this would make combined orders impossible, but at least would do away with US buyers getting an "Item Not Available" message when trying to add 2 or more items to their cart from a Cdn seller. 

4)  Change the "Item Not Available" message noted above to "Please log onto eBay.ca to complete this purchase", or (even better perhaps), provide an actual link for the US buyer to jump to .ca. 

Hope springs eternal....

Hi rose-dee,

Happy to discuss your suggestions.

1) This is something that sellers are able to do on their own already. eBay listings have several placements that can be customized with such messaging. A good example of sellers taking such means to make announcements specific to their own situation would be those who added a blurb to their item descriptions to specify that cross-border buyers are responsible for any tax of duty incurred when they import the item.

2) The problem with this is that the amount of sellers impacted by the US shopping cart limitations is very far from the majority. Furthermore, Canadian sellers on eBay.com account for a very tiny percentage when compared to actual US-based sellers and sellers from other parts of the world. This makes it hard to justify putting up messaging for all US buyers to see if that message is going to be relevant to just a tiny percentage of the items they see, and as far as I know there are no targeted placements we can use at checkout (targeted meaning a message we could show only to the right buyers).

3) The shopping cart on eBay.com already can't take any items that were listed on eBay.ca, so adding immediate payment on these items would change nothing. Furthermore, on eBay.com, all BIN items priced under $1000 are already forced into immediate payment since mid-2013 (details here). Doing this would change nothing to how eBay.com buyers can purchase your items. All this would do is force buyers to pay before they own your items when they shop on eBay.ca.

4) As I explained for 2), this isn't feasible because it would only be relevant for a very tiny percentage of eBay.com buyers. The current message that says "Item not available" is used for a lot more than just Canadian items.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Good morning/afternoon,

It's a sunny day here...I won't say any more. Smiley Wink

This comes up every once in a while.  When ebay first said that sellers (in most categories) could not ask for cash, money orders or bank transfers, they also said that if a buyer requested it, that was allowed. Of course that was quite a while ago so I am wondering what ebay's stance is on that now. If a buyer requests to make payment  one of those ways and has not been solicited by the seller to do so, is that a problem?

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

Hope springs eternal....

Hi rose-dee,

Happy to discuss your suggestions.

1) This is something that sellers are able to do on their own already. eBay listings have several placements that can be customized with such messaging. A good example of sellers taking such means to make announcements specific to their own situation would be those who added a blurb to their item descriptions to specify that cross-border buyers are responsible for any tax of duty incurred when they import the item.

2) The problem with this is that the amount of sellers impacted by the US shopping cart limitations is very far from the majority. Furthermore, Canadian sellers on eBay.com account for a very tiny percentage when compared to actual US-based sellers and sellers from other parts of the world. This makes it hard to justify putting up messaging for all US buyers to see if that message is going to be relevant to just a tiny percentage of the items they see, and as far as I know there are no targeted placements we can use at checkout (targeted meaning a message we could show only to the right buyers).

3) The shopping cart on eBay.com already can't take any items that were listed on eBay.ca, so adding immediate payment on these items would change nothing. Furthermore, on eBay.com, all BIN items priced under $1000 are already forced into immediate payment since mid-2013 (details here). Doing this would change nothing to how eBay.com buyers can purchase your items. All this would do is force buyers to pay before they own your items when they shop on eBay.ca.

4) As I explained for 2), this isn't feasible because it would only be relevant for a very tiny percentage of eBay.com buyers. The current message that says "Item not available" is used for a lot more than just Canadian items.

Re #3  -

Actually, one Canadian item can be added to the .com cart if the buyer first clicks on buy it now, then they can add it to the cart (if immediate payment isn't required). But when a buyer tries to purchase it, it shows as not available. Or, if another item is added, the second one will show as unavailable. Either way, the cart can't be used for items on .ca which we already knew, however, the fact that they can first be put in the cart confuses the issue as it then looks like the item is on auction so it can't be sold. It's unlikely the buyer is then going to contact the seller about it or try to purchase it another way since it looks like the item isn't available.

There is a thread with more detail and screenshots on the sellers board - http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/buyers-saying-item-is-unavailable-when-trying-to-purchase...

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Accepted Payment options

Link to 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Just thought I would jump in with this link...

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

At what point are we going to be informed of promising evidence that there will be an error free functioning method put in place for .com buyers to combine and pay for multiple items from .ca sellers.

I`ve being informed by numerous ebay employees and supervisors that they started on Dec. 7, 2015 and was to be resolved on or before Mar. 7, 2015. Every response on your part tells us that they have no intentions on working or fixing the issue as they believe there isn`t a problem. I don`t find it amusing whatsoever, but rather insulting, if your statements are correct and we are being lied to on numerous occasions ebay. 

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

I'm sorry you've been told erroneous information by whomever you spoke to at eBay Customer Support. As we have explained before however, what is in front of us here is not a bug or glitch, there are no errors at play. What is happening is a set of circumstances that put a subset of Canadian sellers at a disadvantage with regards to their sales to eBay.com buyers. In more details:

• The shopping cart on eBay.com doesn't support multiple currencies and was built to only accept items that were listed on eBay.com.
  • In mid-2013, a new policy was launched on eBay.com to help reduce unpaid items for US sellers (an identified major pain point). The policy forces buyers to pay for any BIN items priced below $1000 before the item becomes unavailable to other buyers. This means that orders with multiple items can now only be combined via the shopping cart.
  • As a result, BIN items that were listed on eBay.ca (or any site other than eBay.com) cannot be combined into one order on eBay.com. Most of the time, this is fine, unless the seller also offers combined shipping discounts. These combined shipping discounts can never be given to buyers on eBay.com because these items cannot be added to the shopping cart.
  • To sum things up, the eBay.com shopping cart plus the forced immediate payment on BIN items policy creates this issue where eBay.com buyers cannot benefit from the seller's combined shipping discounts. Hence, the only group of sellers impacted by this are sellers who sell BIN items AND also offer combined shipping discounts. That group is surprisingly small, which makes our business case for a full rebuild of the eBay.com shopping cart equally small. It's for that reason that we've not been able to get this project prioritized thus far. We continue to do our best to get this onto the US shopping cart team's roadmap, however.

What does this all mean? It means that sellers who are impacted by this issue who are willing to list their items on eBay.com will effectively work around the problem.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Thanks cumos, I'm aware of that link but as far as I can tell, that doesn't include the original conversation with ebay about being allowed to use other payment in a buyer asked for it first. I think that it was more of an unofficial policy and was only written by an ebay rep when the new policy was being discussed...probably on a discussion board somewhere.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Oh yes, last (and probably least) suggestion re my post above: 

5)  Remove the cart from eBay.ca -- if this would do no good, please clarify why. 

(Would you mind please giving your explanation again here for all to read concerning the coincidental timing of Immediate Payment Required on .com and how that affected the Canadian cart.  I think a lot of people, including myself, did not know this)

Based on my replies to your other post with your first 4 suggestions, as well as my reply to merritt-motorcycle-salvage, it is easy to see how removing the shopping cart on eBay.ca would accomplish nothing. The eBay.ca shopping cart changes nothing to what buyers on eBay.com can and can't do, so why would we remove the ability to use a shopping cart for buyers who use eBay.ca?

By the way, having a shopping cart on eBay was something that millions of buyers had been asking for in the years prior to us launching it. It is, after all, how every other e-commerce platform works, very much an industry standard.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I have to pose the question and probably depart, unfortunately. (Midday mid-week is nearly impossible for me to participate in a board hour like this one which is the reason I nearly never do despite all my burning questions and/or issues.) I will return if I am able. 

My question is this: What can eBay do to protect its members from harassment at the hands of other members? 

On several occasions over the past two years, I have evoked the ire of another member(s) who will send me repeated unsolicited, nonsensical messages. Not one, but many. Over hours, days, weeks or months. I do not respond. They are rarely if ever the type of message or comment that one can respond to without evoking further offence. 

Allow me to stress these people are NOT buyers of mine (and never have been) and are immediately added to my blocked ID list. They may or may not, however, be competitors. They may or may not have multiple accounts on eBay OR sell similar products outside of eBay. 

My issue is this: Reporting them to eBay does nothing to halt the onslaught of rambling profanity-laced messages. Blocking them does nothing to stop it either. They can still go to any one of my listings and 'ask a question' or go to my feedback page to 'contact seller' to do it.

What should eBay be doing to prevent abuse like this through its Messages platform? I'm not prepared to 'ignore the offenders' either as in at least one case, there are overt and/or implied threats being uttered that I'd like to be kept aware of. Dealing with this is a colossal waste of my time (as well as cyber-bullying) which the authority in this case being eBay should be obligated, in my opinion, to stop.

It is exclusively because I sell on eBay that I have drawn the attention of these offenders; eBay Messages is being used to commit the offense; eBay should be the governing body to stop it. No?

Thank you for your kind attention to the matter. I look forward to hearing what suggestions can be offered to solve this problem.

Hi mjwl2006,

I'm sorry you're being harassed by another eBay member. I've reviewed your eBay Messages and figured out who the member you are referring to is. Without going in too much detail, I can confirm that your original report was well received and that action was taken following an investigation. If the member continued with their reported behavior, you do need to report them again. There is a point, for every eBay policy, where the prescribed consequences are sure to stop anyone from continuing their bad behavior.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

By the way, having a shopping cart on eBay was something that millions of buyers had been asking for in the years prior to us launching it. It is, after all, how every other e-commerce platform works, very much an industry standard.

I can understand why the cart on .com was originally set up however, it never made sense to me why ebay forces buyers to use it by requiring immediate payment. Sellers already had the option to use immediate payment so why force it to be used?  I think that a reasonably simple solution to the current problem with items listed on .ca would be to remove the immediate payment requirement on .com. Then, buyers could use the cart if they wanted to or they could do it the old way (still available on .ca) and ask a seller for a combined invoice.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Good morning/afternoon,

It's a sunny day here...I won't say any more. Smiley Wink

This comes up every once in a while.  When ebay first said that sellers (in most categories) could not ask for cash, money orders or bank transfers, they also said that if a buyer requested it, that was allowed. Of course that was quite a while ago so I am wondering what ebay's stance is on that now. If a buyer requests to make payment  one of those ways and has not been solicited by the seller to do so, is that a problem?

Hi pjcdn2005,

All eBay can regulate on is what sellers say in their listings. What happens beyond the confines of the eBay site is usually out of our control. With that said, a good way to look at this particular policy is that eBay may not be able to protect a buyer or a seller if the payment method employed was not one that is approved.

The reason we discourage people from sending cash, money orders or bank transfers is that these are rarely reversible or even traceable, so it's hard to recoup a sent payment if anything goes wrong.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hi mjwl2006,

I'm sorry you're being harassed by another eBay member. I've reviewed your eBay Messages and figured out who the member you are referring to is. Without going in too much detail, I can confirm that your original report was well received and that action was taken following an investigation. If the member continued with their reported behavior, you do need to report them again. There is a point, for every eBay policy, where the prescribed consequences are sure to stop anyone from continuing their bad behavior.

Shouldn't mjwl be able to block messages by blocking the id AND checking off block communication from blocked members (I can't find that option right now but I do remember seeing it)  Of course if the problem is that the id keeps changing, that doesn't help.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply