Getting a discount with FedEx

fixtix
Community Member
New PowerSeller here. After reading that this forum was the only real benefit of being a Canadian PS, I figured that I would give it a whirl.

I do a lot of shipping to both Canada and the US. The majority of my shipments are envelopes by Xpresspost, which costs me around $9 with my Venture One card nationally in Canada and to the US. I do upwards of 50 of these per month. I also do roughly 5-10 envelope shipments via FedEx to the US using International Priority. These cost around $30 each. Basically, I'm looking to call up FedEx and ask for a discount but I wasn't sure how much to ask for. I've only been using them for 4 months or so, so perhaps it is too early. I was hoping that others here who have discounts could give me a ballpark figure on shipping discounts as well as any advice on exactly what to say.

Cheers.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

1 - It's never too early to ask for a discount

2 - You can probably get 20%+ easily

3 - Discounts with FedEx run as high as 60 - 70% for high volume shippers (you're a long way from there)

Caveat: I don't use FedEx but had once had a problem with a shipment, in an attempt to appease me they offered a 30% discount.

They might require a contract (some shippers do) where you receive a rebate if you reach your volume commitment but less if you don't make the quota.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

cherietales
Community Member
I asked FedEx about using them for FedEx Ground shipments. The customer service rep told me that they will not pick up from home-based businesses. He said they have to be able to walk right into the building and up to the reception desk. I told the guy I live in a highrise building with a doorman. The FedEx delivery guy can do the same thing here. He sounded pretty doubtful. I think they are turning away a lot of business.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

May be we should ask for a ebay PowerSeller group discount from Fedex, pitch them against Canada Post:)
United we stand!
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

sean_5775
Community Member
Maybe a suggestion - May or may not work for you since you seem to require priority shipments. I am just in the process of switching the majority of my shipping to Canpar, they are offering me rates of less than Canadapost, faster delivery times, better service, and at home pickup 3 days a week. Basically they told me that If I keep up shipping 30-40 items a week that the same rates and service will apply. Just a thought for anyone interested.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply