Global Import Charges...on top of Shipping...bad for business.

I posted a comment about a month ago, shocked at the final price I had to pay for an item that had the Global Import Charges tacked on, in addition to Shipping fees.  (Not Seller's fault, they were clear about it)  I just wanted the item....However, I just want to say that I will no longer...and now Refuse to Buy or Bid on any item on Ebay that has the extra Global Import Charges.  I would rather take my chances of being charged at my door for customs and duties.  In all my ten plus years on Ebay Buying things, it happened only once when I had to pay extra.

Additional charges for items after paying Shipping fees is BAD for business.  Sorry Sellers out there....if you have Global Import Charges, I will not buy from you any longer.  Just a heads up on the way things are moving.

I understand that Governments want Global Import Charges to happen, and it does make some sense if it is a Bonifide Business also selling on Ebay...but for the little guy/seller out there who just sells on Ebay...extra import charges are ridiculous. Thanks for listening.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I don't think I've heard anybody praise it.

It's bad for sellers and bad for buyers.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I've been advising buyers to let sellers know that they will not buy from them because of the global shipping program. It may be a good idea to contact ebay as well and let them know that you will not buy from sellers with the global shipping program.

I think ebay is the only beneficiary of the program that is why they're encouraging sellers to use it.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I simply may abandon eBay. It isn't a reactionary move, it's simply economics. For what once cost between $3.50-$5 to get a sports card from the US, now costs close to $21 for ANY PRICED SPORTSCARD. That is just ridiculous. This is a lame brain move, and one that will be very costly to eBay and to sellers in the US. Duh! I hope your commissions make up for it eBay.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply