Going From Premium To Basic, To Closing Store

Well, it's been some time now for those who opted into a store presence on eBay and I'm wondering now how other store owners are doing with respect to their decision to go the store route and if the package they chose is working for them.

Also, has anyone taken on a package and found it to be too much, not enough, etc. and perhaps down graded, or up graded to further benefit their efforts?

And lastly, wondering if anyone feels their decision to go the store route has provided no additional benefits from those when simply using free 50s each month?

Any opinions, comments are welcomed and would greatly help us with our own future decisions.

Janet and Paul
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Up and down and out.  Been there.  Done that.

However, in your case, looking at 800+ listings and about 100 sales monthly, the best option at this time is to continue with a premium store.

You may want to review the situation in January once the Christmas rush is over.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

My store makes me boat loads of money for minimal cost and even less effort.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

My canceled store is still working great!  Launched listings near the end of sept, cancelled store, got the lower fvf all Oct including including some electronics at 4% instead of 10.  Even revised some listings to different items as I got some higher price/more likely to sell items in and got the lower fvf on them too, with no store fee this month.  Mulling over signing up a day before then end of this month/cancel next month to have low fvf listings through the end of the year

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

How many boats do you have ?

Thats it, I'm going into the car parts business.

I don't have much experience, but i recall my wife calling me a dipstick occasionly in the 80s.

I guess that should help searching out dipsticks.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Have had a store on eBay since March 2006.

Have not sold at auction since March 2006.

A store has worked very well.

In January 2009  I had about 1250 listings on eBay..

Today I am at 3500 and going up   in listing numbers within new categories  of books.....

My niche sells well  and am beginning to catch on in my new categories of inventory

Having a store allows one to sit back and make it happen.

Auctions  were a painful experience.......  and based on today.... one has to know how-to-do-it and be very careful when selling at auction on eBay.

Local auctions are great for getting rid of old non-book inventory

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Having a store allows one to sit back and make it happen.

Auctions  were a painful experience.......  and based on today.... one has to know how-to-do-it and be very careful when selling at auction on eBay.

Both so true!  

I've had a store since beginning on eBay years ago.  Although there were some months early on in which I paid the store/listing fees and got little return, now that I'm running the store on an essentially modified full-time basis, it's done well for me for so much less stress and strain.  

I used to run a number of auctions as well, but they got to be so much trouble and time for such poor results financially that I only do them very rarely now.  "High-maintenance", as they say. 

The other aspect of having a store that I think many forget, is the branding and the promotional tools that are available, which I think lead to better buyer recognition and more repeat customers.  These have real value.  Now, admittedly, never having operated outside of the store platform, I can't compare, but I do know from my Omniture stats that many buyers are searching by my store name and adding their names to my store newsletter subscription list.  In other words, I think it's easier to build a customer base with a store than without.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I primarily utilize the store. I have done this since stores began. (I don't remember when that was).

In the olden days I ran auctions along with the store, I used the auctions to bring customers to my store.

For the last few years (don't remember how many probably more than 5) I have run virtually only store material.

At this time I have an anchor store.

The only times I run auction stuff is:

-new stuff that I'm not sure what to charge, I run a couple auctions then place material in the store (at a higher price)

-stuff that has high interest level and spirited bidding

-stuff that will attract people to my store.

To put it in perspective though:

-I have 1600-1700 items in the store all the time

-In a big auction month I will run 20 auction items. (In a year I probably run easily less than 100 auctions).

My pesonal opnion, in my area of experience(stamps):

-for an item that should retail about $10

-will auction for about $5 if you are lucky (unless it is something with high interest/spirited bidding)

-will sell with patience for the $10 in the store

-auction buyers paying $5 are many times more likely to complain/cause issue about it than the store buyer paying $10

(the worst ones are the ones that scored the item for the starting .99c!!!!!)

Normal months 50% to 66% of my sales are from repeat customers.

(Although in the olden days I had repeat customers that ONLY would buy via auction, even if it was significantly more than the same item in the store!!!)

I have had limited success with the "emails" I send out.

Note that this same concept is applied across all the sites I use, not just eBay.....

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

What ever floats yer boat BB.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Funny I was thinking of going into Car parts a bit as well because you can make boat loads of money and I love working on vehicles..

Get a scrap car for $50-$75 gut it and turn it into to 3-5k  Very Profitable ..

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I was kidding Brande.

I know nothing about car parts.

Think I'll stick with items i have experience selling.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Up and down and out.  Been there.  Done that.

However, in your case, looking at 800+ listings and about 100 sales monthly, the best option at this time is to continue with a premium store.

You may want to review the situation in January once the Christmas rush is over.

Thanks Pierre, I was thinking the same but thought it couldn't hurt to see how others felt about their store successes or failures and use whatever helpful information or comments others shared. 

Keep it coming folks, this is very helpful to hear what other more experienced store keepers are thinking or feeling about their store experiences.

Janet and Paul
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Brande, you go right ahead and try that. Good luck to ya. Yep, I'll see ya at the millionaire's table down at the diner. I sure will.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 13
latest reply