Has anybody heard about the changes to file a claim for loss pkg at CP?

skivversnfld
Community Member
Hi, I am wondering if anybody else out there has heard about the changes to the filing procedure for a loss pkg with Canada post?
I have a customer who has been waiting patiently for her item. I told her that I am unable to file/open a loss claim for a small packet to the US until 30 days have passed. So we waited. yesterday was 30 days. Much to my surprise they would not let me file . Said I had not waiting long enough. I have to wait 45 days for an airmail small packet and 75 days for a surface mail small packet before CP will open a claim. International wait times are even longer!! Has anybody else heard about these changes?
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

whoscloset
Community Member
Just one more reason to ditch CP and look into a discount with one of the couriers.

Monique

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Or use another insurance company.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

skivversnfld
Community Member
I have looked into using a courier company, but with most of my sales going to the US the COD brokerage fees that the receiver would be charged doesn't seem right. Plus , when I did go to send one package using a courier, they requested my credit card , the brokerage fees would be charged to my credit card, once the package arrived in the US. They could not tell me ahead of time what the fees would be or how much. But I would have to give them my credit card ahead of time for preauthorization without an auth. amount. NO WAY!

I am unfamiliar with any other insurance providers , how do they work, and who are they??
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
skivversnfld,

Unless your shipment is declared for less than $200.00 there are absolutely no brokerage/customs fees for shipping into the U.S. I switched to UPS as they gave me cheaper rates than Canada Post for shipping into the U.S. which is where 97% of my product goes.

Due to Canadian law they can not give you a cheaper rate than Canada Post for shipping within Canada, but if you ship primarily to the States you should really look into it.

Monique

Monique

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

funkywatch_com
Community Member
What do you mean by "Unless your shipment is declared for less than $200.00" ?
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

use another insurance company, checkout dsiinsurance, i can be a referral if you decide to join. thanks!
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Sorry. I meant, unless your shipment is declared for MORE than US$200.00. That is if you sell to the U.S. for $200 or less without including shipping charges, there are no customs clearance or brokerage fees when using UPS.

Monique

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

skivversnfld
Community Member
whoscloset I am a little confused with The brokerage fee portion. Is it suppose to be the same going in reverse, shipments from Us-canada? I made only one purchase so far to date from the US where they shipped the item to me in canada using UPS. The item was $27.00usd , a second hand item NOt new, but a used item. . When the item arrived I had to pay $32.00cnd COd to claim the parcel. I was told that it was Cod brokerage fees for clearing the item through customs.
I did ask again on another occasion and was always told the same thing, that there would be COD brokerage fees. is there a link available online with all the details?
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

alero0
Community Member
I was told that there is a big difference between US and Canada customs. US customs won't bother with any shipment under $200 USD. Canada customs will hit any shipment $20. and up.

Harvey
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

aa-surplus
Community Member
Hi all,

JUST so your aware any item coming into Canada with a value of $20.00 CDN or more by courier will have customs duty on it.

I have been importing for years and this is a fact.

Regards,

aa-surplus
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

skivversnfld
Community Member
So does anybody know for sure if I send by courier to the the Us from Canada , for items under $200.00 if they will not or will not receive any customs clearance fees? I realize duty is a different ball of wax. What I am mostly concerned with is the brokerage fees? My local Fedex depot, didn't even know how to fill out a form to the US. The last time I went to ship a package there , I had to leave it for 2 days until someone showed them how to ship to the US . they then called me back and said they could not ship the item. The package contained a secondhand item, and they considered it to be personal items. I could not ship it insured. They did not know how to process the transaction. Unreal!
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I ship EVERYTHING by UPS and have for 2 years. NOTHING under US$200 is ever hit with customs or brokerage fees. If it is over US$200 they will get hit with clearance fees. If an item of mine sells for retail $225, I'll write $199 on the customs forms to avoid the issue with the customer AND customs. In the event of a damage claim, you can only claim the wholesale cost anyway, so putting the lower amount on the customs document has no impact.

When buying out of the U.S. make sure that your seller will ship via USPS, NOT courier. The charge is not a brokerage fee per se, it is an administration fee for collecting the GST and PST and submitting it on your behalf. Canada Post only charges a $5.00 fee regardless of the item's value. Courier companies charge $25 or more for the same service.

Monique

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
Every American is allowed to import up to $200 US in purchased goods ($100 in gifts) per day tax/duty free. I've read the US Govt website on the topic. Thus, US customs doesn't charge tax or duty on parcels valued at less than $200 US, no matter how they are delivered and couriers cannot make money on paying the duty for the buyer and then collecting double from the importer. I've had to ship rare, expensive/mint condition books to a buyer in 2 or 3 lots, spaced out over a couple of days to avoid the problem of items over $200. DOn't know if he was grateful to me for looking out for him, but he did like the books!. On the other hand, Canada customs charges for almost everything you import, although occasionally you can get a gift tax and duty free. I've imported $8 worth of books and had to pay $5.56: 0.56 for tax, $5 administration fee!). Gloria
Message 14 of 14
latest reply