Has anyone else been cheated?

I purchased two items from seller ($51), when I communicated I hadn't rec'd the items, they requested I wait another 30 days since the aircraft had a battery fire in the holding unit and they had reshipped the items.  Of course I was duped and the items never arrived.  Too late, the e-Bay / Paypal protection period had expired.... Silly me, thinking they were honest!  Has this happened to others?

Real 16GB Micro SDHC TF Memory Card Cardreader Class 4 for Nokia, LG, HTC 16G Real 16GB Micro SDHC TF Memory Card Cardreader Class 4 for Nokia, LG, HTC 16G

5M Pixels 720P HD Spy sunglasses Camera DVR Hidden Camcorder Glasses Eyewear S12 5M Pixels 720P HD Spy sunglasses Camera DVR Hidden Camcorder Glasses Eyewear S12
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Did you use a credit card when you paid with PayPal? Because a chargeback will only work if you used a credit card. If you used your bank account or PayPal funds, it does not apply unfortunately.

When was the item purchased and paid for? As the others have said, if it is within 180 days, you are still covered with PayPal. Open an Item Not Received now if it's still possible.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

And add a credit card to your PP account, if you have not already.

Not only does it give you a third level of protection, but your sellers will be paid instantly. With only a bank account backing PP,  you are writing an 'e-cheque' and it takes days to clear the banking systems before your seller can ship.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

ebay only gives you 30 days but paypal allows 180. Are you sure you're past the 180-day mark? Maybe your credit card company can help. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hello 'julesccote',

I can just guess from which country you bought your items.  Any time a seller requests you to wait another 

30 days, -- that is a clue the item may not be coming at all.

Unless it is a parcel from the UK or Europe that is coming 'Surface' mail which can take over 2 months, but

few sellers are willing to offer that service due to impatient buyers.  The items you bought, however, did not

likely come from Europe but a country somewhat further away.

Have you seen this link about paypal's buyer protection?  When did you buy it?

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=CA&locale.x=en_CA#13

Note where it says under Section 13.2 Eligibility Requirements, to be qualify for assistance you must,  

"open a dispute within 180 Days of the date you sent the payment" .

Is this possible?  If it is past 180 days it is probably also too late to file for a chargeback if you used a credit card,

but that is a free call for the information.  The worst they'll say is that it is indeed too late.

And yes, it has happened to many, many others.  One country in particular is very bad for not sending items

and then delaying the buyer with excuses and promises of replacements, - only to make them wait past the 

deadline for compensation.

So try what you can in this instance and in future keep an eye on the calendar and don't let it happen to you

again.

Best of luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Did you use a credit card when you paid with PayPal? Because a chargeback will only work if you used a credit card. If you used your bank account or PayPal funds, it does not apply unfortunately.

When was the item purchased and paid for? As the others have said, if it is within 180 days, you are still covered with PayPal. Open an Item Not Received now if it's still possible.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

And add a credit card to your PP account, if you have not already.

Not only does it give you a third level of protection, but your sellers will be paid instantly. With only a bank account backing PP,  you are writing an 'e-cheque' and it takes days to clear the banking systems before your seller can ship.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

p.s. The moderator has been here because you're not allowed to name your seller in community posts. My reply was also edited because it had the name of the seller in the headline as per the standard reply form. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks to everyone who responded. I did contact PP but they said I had to go through eBay. All of this happened several months ago so it's now too late but I appreciate the advice, especially about linking a credit card to my PP account. Cheers!
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm truly sorry to hear it's too late to fix. A harsh lesson was learned and I hope you're not out-of-pocket too heavily.

If I may offer one final piece of advice: if there is any possible way to find what you want from a seller that is located within Canada or even the USA, pick that seller any time over one located overseas in that particular manufacturing sector of the world. Not all sellers are created equal and even within North America you will certainly find some very sketchy ones but check their feedback before you make a purchase. If every image looks like a stock photo and they've more than a handful of negatives (either per month or year, depending on how much product the seller moves) take a pass and keep looking. No discount deal is worth the aggravation and stress of having a pile of trouble like you faced with this. It's just not worth it.

In a best-case scenario with a seller like the one you're talking about, your package arrives and it's total junk. But you have it, and now it's something you don't want anymore. If you can't prove it's not as described then you are obligated to return it at YOUR expense and with tracking or you won't be refunded. That return postage alone is going to set you back about $50 CAD and you can't go cheaply with surface mail or it won't make it in time. 

Every time a buyer leaves ebay feeling alienated by a bad seller, all of ebay loses. 

On my own account, I stopped buying from dodgy types awhile back. I had enough of it. I used to look for the best deal for stuff for my family and friends or whatever but then it often ended up being junk or packed so badly that it was junk by the time it arrived. Now I have different standards: it has to be new, it has to come in an original package so that I know it's not a factory reject or counterfeit and, above all, it has to be coming from someplace that I can return it if it's not what was promised to me. If it's used, I have to be looking at an actual picture of it and not something like it. And, finally, if there's any doubt left, I send a message to the seller to see if the seller actually answers their messages. These are all good things to know before I throw my money at someone who may not give a hoot about me or my expectations.

Anyway, don't give up on ebay. I know you're not a newbie here but you might find this guide I wrote awhile back to be a little bit useful. I am always honoured by buyers I get from overseas so I wrote it on ebay.co.uk. http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/10-Steps-to-Hassle-Free-Buying-on-eBay-/10000000204740571/g.html

Good luck as you carry forward. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@julesccote wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I did contact PP but they said I had to go through eBay. All of this happened several months ago so it's now too late but I appreciate the advice, especially about linking a credit card to my PP account. Cheers!

To clarify, linking a credit card to your Paypal account does not give you any extra protection unless you actually use that card to pay.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

ashl_brann
Community Member

I'm haven bought here too many items that's why I haven been cheated yet, bit I'm careful with buying and selling. i want to ask, did you noticed that some people have essay for sale, what does it mean, they write it for u or sale the old one? Strange and suspicious item as for me.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It's called plagiarism and can get you expelled from school .

Since your written English is not particularly good, an essay that someone else wrote would jump at the TA and mean an automatic investigation.

Save your money.

Do your own work.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Unless the essay for sale is a historical document written by a person of interest.

I would avoid anyone selling their own written work in this instance. Especially if there were, for example, spelling mistakes in the title and/or the listing. One can only assume certain things motivating the buyer and/or seller and ultimately one or both would find themselves in hot water over it. Plus, the buyer would be out-of-pocket a substantial sum of money.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply