Has anyone ever won a chargeback dispute when there was no delivery confirmation?

I just spent over an hour responding to a chargeback -- my comments plus preparing documentation in PDF format and attaching it to my response (most of you have been there I'm sure).

I have everything but the delivery confirmation.  It was a lettermail item shipped to another province.  I have the note I sent her, through the eBay messaging system, confirming the purchase, advising when the item would be shipped and when she could expect delivery.  I also have her positive feedback which is identical to other feedback she has left for her purchases.

I can understand a chargeback if an item was not received or grossly misrepresented.  The one that really gets to me is the "unauthorized use of credit card".  I always suspect that it is either buyer's remorse, or a daughter purchasing something without her mother's consent. (One case I had a few years ago was a woman who filed a chargeback because she and her husband were divorcing and he decided he wanted to keep the item and refused to give it to her.  She admitted this in her e-mail to me, but of course I still lost).

I had occasion to file a chargeback a couple of years ago when I did not receive an item (this was done directly and not through PayPal).  I had all sorts of forms to fill out, with correspondence back and forth, and at least 3 months for resolution.  Yet it seems so easy with PayPal, doesn't it, even when there is reasonable evidence provided by the seller.

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Has anyone ever won a chargeback dispute when there was no delivery confirmation?

gifts_of_elegance

Congratulations on reaching 7000 feedback!!!!!!

Message 61 of 67
latest reply

Re: Has anyone ever won a chargeback dispute when there was no delivery confirmation?

@jt-libra wrote:

"I haven't (thank goodness) yet had to deal with a chargeback, but every time I ship without tracking, I get my local postal clerk to stamp a copy of my Paypal label (Small/Light Packet) with their date received stamp.  Would that be sufficient in these cases?"

I appreciate all your comments rose-dee.

You raised an interesting point about whether a copy of the PayPal label, date stamped by the Post Office, would constitute proof of shipment.  It never even occurred to me to do that.  I rather think that PayPal would not accept this as proof (of shipment, maybe, but not of delivery).  But it certainly could come in handy when dealing with a troublesome buyer who might not think you shipped right away.

So, to be clear, you print off an extra copy of the PayPal labels and ask the Post Office to stamp them?  They've never regarded this as an uncommon request?  And what does the actual stamp show -- Received by Canada Post on such-and-such date.

Thanks.

I do the same (print off a second label and ask the post office to stamp it) if I've used third party insurance on my package so that I have proof of shipment.   Paypal might accept that as proof of shipment with an unauthorized use chargeback...it would be interesting to find out. I don't see it being useful for me at any other time and  since I rarely have  chargebacks, it wouldn't make sense for me to have to go into the post office every time I used small or light packet. I would rather drop the package in the mail box.

Message 62 of 67
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

gifts_of_elegance

Congratulations on reaching 7000 feedback!!!!!!

Thank You!

Message 63 of 67
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

@jt-libra wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

For confirmation of the $20 fee charged by PayPal for chargeback, please take a look at (near bottom):

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

Chargeback Fee

$20

Thanks Pierre!  I looked up the site and found the $20 charge applies to international payments.  The purchaser was registered in USA and had a California shipping address and a telephone number.  He registered Sept.23/14 and had 48 positive feedbacks. There was some conversation between us and he even left positive feedback for me.  The credit card showed a name in Chinese symbols.

The 1% refers to international payments, the $20 charge is not specifically for international chargebacks.

Wow...7000 feedback...that's awesome! Congratulations!  Smiley Happy

Message 64 of 67
latest reply

Yes -- Congratulations "gifts_of_elegance".  That's awesome.

I bet the last 50 feedback took forever since so few people leave feedback anymore 🙂

Message 65 of 67
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

So, to be clear, you print off an extra copy of the PayPal labels and ask the Post Office to stamp them?  They've never regarded this as an uncommon request?  And what does the actual stamp show -- Received by Canada Post on such-and-such date.

Yes - I print off one extra copy of each Paypal label, and have my lovely, friendly neighbourhood postal clerk use her big, very official-looking stamp (you know, the tall, heavy-looking thing with the round bottom that goes boom! on the counter). Woman Very Happy

Now, granted, I use a small village P.O. with one clerk and there's almost never any line-up, so it's no trouble for me or for her.  (Actually, to be honest I send my husband most days -- he likes to chat with the clerk and get caught up on all the local gossip. Woman LOL)  

The request for a stamp may not be so kindly received in a large city P.O. with a whole lot of people in line behind you.  Nonetheless, they do have those stamps for a purpose, and I wouldn't be shy about asking.  The stamp I get shows the date, the location of the P.O., and a number which I presume is some sort of coded or assigned number for that postal outlet.  

As 'pj'  says, the stamp may or may not help as evidence of delivery in chargebacks, but I'm a bit of an old school, belt-and-suspenders type who believes there's no harm in keeping paper documentation.  The stamp as proof of shipment is probably more valuable for 3rd party insurance purposes, or to simply allay the concerns of a buyer about when an item was actually shipped. 

As 'gifts of elegance' mentioned, you can also ask for a cash receipt from the postal clerk if you're paying at the counter.  I almost always use Paypal labels, so my extra printed copy of the label is my paper receipt (also good for tax documentation).  

By the way, I wanted to add, since 'gifts' mentioned it, that Paypal labels for Small and Light Packet are now half-size, i.e. the label portion itself is the size of 1/4 of an 8x11" page.  This makes it much easier now to fit them on a small parcel.  However, they now show the postage paid, which could be problematic for some sellers.  

Message 66 of 67
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Yes -- Congratulations "gifts_of_elegance".  That's awesome.

I bet the last 50 feedback took forever since so few people leave feedback anymore 🙂

Thank You!  I received 7,654 feedbacks as a seller, out of 11,574 transactions.

Message 67 of 67
latest reply