Having a problem with PayPal - Who Isn't?

Hi Guys,

I recently had a shipment that was sent to a customer that is lost.  I used the address that was stated on the Paypal site to ship to the customer.  As it turns out the address was to be in China but the address on the Paypal page stated that it was Colombia.  Of course customer put in a claim and funds were returned through my paypal account.  I confirmed that the goods are lost or missing but were mailed to the Paypal address as stated.   No, it was not sent as a tracked shipment (due to an error).  What do you think are my chances of getting a refund due to the error of PayPal?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you could prove that you sent it to the Paypal address and that it was delivered to that address, you would have own the claim but since you can't prove delivery confirmation, I think that you are out of luck.

I have never heard of a situation like this though...especially since paypal sees China as the address. What address does the payment confirmation from paypal give?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

As the seller, you are obligated to send it to the address listed on the paypal page.

Without tracking you have no way to prove you did. The buyer can't complain that you did. 

However, I smell something fishy about your buyer's behaviour and it might be that you were being used by a sloppy drop shipper.

I'd call Paypal and talk to them about it if I were you. Or ebay. Or whatever method was used to open the claim against you. If you printed your label with paypal shipping, that will work in your favour. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Given that you are a coin dealer, a high fraud category, I would encourage you to set up automatic Blocks against many countries. Both China and Columbia would be among those.

No matter what the location of the buyer, or the eBay address, the PP address is the one you ship to.

If you had sent to the Columbia address with tracking, there would be no problem. Providing always that delivery was reasonably prompt.

Many perfectly honest members overseas use freight forwarders without any problems, for example.  Most of them are in California - with Japanese or South Korean customers- or in Florida- with Caribbean or South American customers.

Once the item reaches the forwarder, the seller has done his job and is no longer liable for complaints about slow delivery or damage in shipping or import fees.

The Global Shipping Program is really just another freight forwarder, eh?

No, it was not sent as a tracked shipment (due to an error).  What do you think are my chances of getting a refund due to the error of PayPal?

The problem is not the address, it is the lack of tracking.

So, unfortunately, you lose.

Try anyway. It can't get worse.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You state that you smell something fishy.  I don't.  I checked out this buyer with 3 sellers, one from Australia and two from the UK.  All replied quite favourably.  Two of three sold him multiple times.  The buyer and I have exchanged emails on at least 10 occasions, me inquiring if hew received his package, and him telling me he is still watching for it.  I initiated contact after 6 weeks telling him that our post office people , have advised it can take up to 2 months for parcels to get to some parts of the world.  I then confirmed the shipping address with the buyer and when I stated Colombia, the "lights went on".  He asked how I got that address and I advised it was on the Pay Pal site.  He didn't believe it so I took a pic and sent it to him.  I suggested that he start a claim as it was not going to find him in China.  I then contacted Pay Pal and explained the problem.  They told me that the address is China and no matter how hard I insisted that it clearly shows Colombia on my screen, they asked that I send a pic of the screen.  I did and now I wait. The section under the address states that I must send the package to the address as listed.  I did and now I get penalized for PayPal providing the incorrect address -- My Fault?  I don't think so. 

No, I do not use the sites mailing labels.  Never have. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You state that the address is not the problem.  Shake your head !!!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If you come to the eBay Canada Community for advice, it is, generally speaking, not a great idea to insult the people giving it to you. That's some additional advice from me to you. Again. Also for free. 

Unless your point with this post from the onset was not to seek advice and, instead, to vent. If so, best of luck to you.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If you could prove that you sent it to the Paypal address and that it was delivered to that address, you would have own the claim but since you can't prove delivery confirmation, I think that you are out of luck.

I have never heard of a situation like this though...especially since paypal sees China as the address. What address does the payment confirmation from paypal give?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This is my whole entire point ----- it clearly states Colombia.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply