Hmm this PAYPAL problem's weird....

Got this yesterday from PAYPAL. I did have a customer that paid me from the USA and it showed up in PAYPAL as the equivalent payment in $C. I didn't really care but I though it was weird. Having said that it happened 2 times once within their timeframe, once before....doesn't look Iike I have to do anything anyway...and really the only impact to the customer is the currency conversion percentage, but that is about 2.5%:

Some of your customers were impacted.

We want to let you know about a technical issue we experienced that caused some of your customers to be charged in a different currency. The issue happened from 11/1/2016-11/10/2016.

We’re working to correct this issue with your impacted customers and have communicated with them about the issue.

Even though we’ll work with them the resolve the issue for the payment they made to you, any subsequent refunds, reversals, chargebacks, and so on will trigger the incorrect currency conversion. If this issue happens, your customer can contact us by using the Help & Contact link on any PayPal page.

We pride ourselves on our safety, security and trustworthiness, and our team has extra safeguards to help make sure this issue doesn’t happen again. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience or difficulties this issue may have caused you.

Thanks for your understanding. We appreciate your business.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

During the past couple of months I had a number of transactions converted to $C.

Thank you for posting because now it makes more sense.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. This certainly explains the questions we've seen.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi Sylvie! But you did not get this note?

I'm also thinking that PAYPAL may have changed the default currency when one sends money to the recipients currency.

For example, if I go to send money to someone in England, traditionally I think the currency defaulted to my default currency (normally $C for a Canadian). Now I think it defaults to the currency of the recipient (British pounds). Unfortunately I haven't sent any money this way for a while so I don't know for sure but based on what I'm seeing it looks like that's what's happening.

It also explains why some of the transactions I thought were affected are outside the dates in the note.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi Sylvie! But you did not get this note?

I'm also thinking that PAYPAL may have changed the default currency when one sends money to the recipients currency.

For example, if I go to send money to someone in England, traditionally I think the currency defaulted to my default currency (normally $C for a Canadian). Now I think it defaults to the currency of the recipient (British pounds). Unfortunately I haven't sent any money this way for a while so I don't know for sure but based on what I'm seeing it looks like that's what's happening.

It also explains why some of the transactions I thought were affected are outside the dates in the note.

No, I didn't receive the note.

I first noticed it when I used PP shipping because they used the $C before I was allowed to bill my CC and I had no idea where that $ came from.

I said above that it occurred for transactions, but now that I've thought about it, it seems to happen when someone sends funds other than a direct eBay payment (or refund) for an item.  (I'm not sure but maybe that what you were saying as well?)

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yep. Upon re-reading the PAYPAL notice, it doesn't say anything about who the customers were.

I just assumed it meant ebay ones since that is the very very vast majority of my PAYPAL transactions....which it looks like was wrong...although I will never know as they're doing everything anyway....
Message 6 of 6
latest reply