Hope anybody can assist me on listings' corrections

Many of my items are collectibles (postcards), and I just noticed than for some of them photos get enlarged with system's message "mouse over to zoom" and some don't get enlarged.

Usually I prepare listings using the "sell a similar item" option, therefore I think that such enlarged view should be on all of them.

Looks like I had it and then lost it somewhere...

Please let me know how to edit listings to extend this zoom to other listings.

Thank you very much!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

As far as I know that means your pictures are not big enough for the zoom feature. What size are the ones that zoom and what size are the ones that don't.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

When I prepare pictures I make the vertical size of 600 pixels on ALL ITEMS

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

From what I could see the ones that don't zoom are just at 500 pixels which is the minimum for Ebay and I think you have to make them larger for the zoom to work

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If you look at item # 261496569641 it is only 500 x 238 and others are similar

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for noticing this. This is "old" item, it may be of different size.

But I have attended the freshly prepared listing #310971075186 and the system shows dimensions as 500 x 357, but my photoshop shows it as 600 x 428.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What resolution are you scanning them at? Photoshop could have wrong sizes as well. I keep mine on my own hard drive and images are the same size on Ebay as the hard drive.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I looked at this one and here is what is shows

600px × 874px (scaled to 503px × 733px) - It seems to be scaling your images down

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

item #310975413599 (book) 

System offers the enlargement and when I check properties (while the enlarged image is displayed) it shows 472 x 731 pixels

It can not be more confusing!

Before I used to have the vertical image as 550 and for a while I do everything as 600 (at least for a year and a half)

Why changed measurements?

All this is very hard for me to understand, forget about fixing!

I deeply appreciate your assistance.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

eBay changed the picture gallery and the new one with the black background enlarges to the maximum size your screen will allow for a full size image with no scrolling or magnification when you click on enlarge.

So on my display of 1440x900 pixels, I see the image in listing 310975413599 at 517x800 pixels (uploaded size 600 x 929 pixels). I am using FireFox v29.0.1. If I press F11 key to go full screen, this gets rid of the toolbars on the top and bottom of my browser so I have a taller screen. eBay picture resizes to take advantage of the larger screen and now the image shown is 581 x 899 pixels.

So what the enlarge is doing is giving the buyer the largest possible full sized image that their display can give them. So buyers with smaller displays get a small enlarge, buyers with a larger display get a larger enlarge.

So there is nothing wrong with your uploaded image.

In the old enlarge, you could not see the full image either. But enlarge had a zoom like feature to enlarge the the enlarged picture that was reduced (confusing sentence).

I find the new system better than the old one. Buyers did not like the old system as it was confusing to use.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I also forgot to add that eBay changed the mouse over to zoom to trigger at a higher pixel limit.  The old way was to zoom at anything 501 pixels over the 500 minimum. The new way does not zoom for photos with a minimum of 600 or 800 pixels in size.

These changes started about a month ago. If you go to the eBay.com Photos & HTML forums, it has been discussed there in a couple of topics.

The original photos had tp be of high quality with a JPEG quality over 90 to give best results for the zoom and the enlarge.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

eBay recently implemented a new display system for photos in the top left gallery of the listing. Photos are now broken into three size groupings with different display options for each:

1. If your original photo is at least 500 pixels on the long side, but under 640 pixels, there will be no "zoom" and no "click to enlarge" to supersize. The photo will be displayed at whatever size is suitable for the visitor's monitor setting.  For me, with a 1024 wide monitor, that means the photo will display at only 400 pixels. For users with larger monitors, the photo might display at 500 pixels. I have not encountered any situations where a photo that is under 640 pixels will display any larger than 500 pixels.

2. If your original photo is at least 640 pixels but less than 800 pixels on the long side, you will be able to click to enlarge, which will open an overlay window where you can see the larger "supersize" image in addition to all the thumbnails.

3. If your original is at least 800 pixels or larger, then there will be the mouseover zoom option and you will also be able to click to open the supersize popup window.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply