How do I get my shipping money back - Pitney Bowes

I bought a top on ebay for $5.50 and the seller said she can't mail to Canada so she refunded me. But she did NOT refund me my $12 shipping. In paypal it went to Pitney Bowes. She didn't refund me via ebay - not my decision - she did it instead straight through with paypal but she still has my $12 and I can't seem to get it back. 

I tried opening a dispute but paypal won't let me. It keeps saying that it has been refunded. But I've only received the $5.50 back. The seller is mentally unstable and will not communicate properly. I've never had this happen with ebay before. 

How can I get my money back??

Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Maybe try "Customer Support". Good luck.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The GSP is pretty new for all of us, so we don't have an answer for you.

Try customer support and please let us know what they say.  At worst, they should give you a courtesy refund for the amount.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Your seller couldn't return your twelve dollars because the she didn't receive that money from you.  As you note, that money went to Pitney Bowes.

You may have to wait until Monday to contact eBay customer service so that you can be put through to the Global Shipping Team.  I don't think a regular eBay customer service rep will be able to handle this issue.

I do have to wonder why the seller even bothered using the Global Shipping Program in her listing if she doesn't ship to Canada.  I would leave appropriate feedback for this seller.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@totorolover5 wrote:

I bought a top on ebay for $5.50 and the seller said she can't mail to Canada so she refunded me. But she did NOT refund me my $12 shipping. In paypal it went to Pitney Bowes. She didn't refund me via ebay - not my decision - she did it instead straight through with paypal but she still has my $12 and I can't seem to get it back. 

I tried opening a dispute but paypal won't let me. It keeps saying that it has been refunded. But I've only received the $5.50 back. The seller is mentally unstable and will not communicate properly. I've never had this happen with ebay before. 

Thank you.

Would you mind giving us the item number? It's bizarre that a seller who has signed up for gsp will not ship to Canada.

Perhaps I'm misundertanding what you mean but refunds are always done through paypal since that is where the payment was processed.  I can't think of a way of refunding someone through ebay.

I agree with the others...you will have to phone ebay customer service.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@totorolover5 wrote:

The seller is mentally unstable and will not communicate properly. I've never had this happen with ebay before. 

Thank you.

The feedback she left seems a little strange, too, if that is the 5.50 item. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

The seller may have mistakenly listed the item with GSP by default. Some sellers have reported their items being GSP listed wrongly by default.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Yikes!  It's one problem after another with the GSP.

Sellers sign onto to these programs and don't have the slightest idea what they're about.

They see that something is FREE and go wonky......... short circuit and lose the ability to reason.  :).

I just noticed that eBay now has a promotion which is offering free return shipping.

That is, if a buyer wants to return something, then if the seller opts into the program the buyer gets free return shipping.

Until the end of the month eBay is footing the bill.

Holy Cow!

Even I, who views the cost of return shipping as a huge unfair unbalanced issue and problem for buyers on eBay can see that this could backfire big time and cause more problems than it solves (just like the GSP is doing).

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Hello 'totorolover',

That GSP is rife with infuriating problems for buyers.  Many people see a listing being shipped that way and hastily find another seller.

As soon as you are able, try calling ebay.  At the top of the page use the Customer Support > Customer Support link, click the Contact eBay tab where you will get a digital code to enter with the phone number.  They may not be able to clear this up for you right now, but if you must wait until Monday to reach Global $hipping help, in the interim you can put your questions to the ebay telephone attendant.  By now, those folks will have heard of this many times before.

Moreover, whilst you are on the phone with the ebay clerk you can get that feedback removed, - the one where the seller says "...i cant affor dto ship 2U!".  You probably already know that people are not allowed to leave negative comments beside a green circle.  Phone ebay and they'll remove it.

Even if you made a mistake and bought from a seller who ships only to the US, - it is sooooo easy to unknowingly end up on the American website.  Everyone makes mistakes, and no one deserves to be kicked for an accidental gaff.  Sure, it makes that seller look horrible, but even so, - do you really want it?

You have 60 days to leave your own feedback.  Give it some thought.  The seller may indeed have psychological problems, many people do, but no one chooses that.  If she is truly a bit 'off', she deserves some residue of compassion rather than contempt.

Get your money back, get rid of that feedback, and 6 weeks from now you may be disinclined to leave any feedback at all.  But give it a bit of reflection and see how you feel then.

And if you are up for doing a really good deed, - after all the dust has settled and you got your money back, if you were to post to the boards a step-by-step account of how it all unraveled, it would be invaluable for future users. Smiley Happy

Best of luck!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Good catch with the feedback, Chimera.

This looks like it might be another case of a seller adopting the GSP and not fully understanding how it works.  I've read a few cases where sellers don't seem to "get" that if they offer free shipping within the U.S. on their listings, they're not going to receive anything from the buyer except the item price.  They seem to think that they should get something extra because the item's going outside of the United States, when in fact all they're doing is sending the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky, or else they don't realize that the buyer's paid a bit extra to Pitney Bowes to have the item shipped to Canada.

I get the impression--rightly or wrongly--from discussions elsewhere on shipping refunds for GSP items that the procedure is going to have to be that an eBay case gets filed and the buyer will receive a full refund through eBay.  It's then up to the seller to pursue Pitney Bowes for reimbursement of the shipping cost.

While the refund issue is a problem, I don't think we can completely blame the GSP for this issue.  I think the seller's chops in the customer service department need some scrutiny as well.  I think we may be looking at someone who got TRS status despite themselves, not because of any sort of talent or aptitude for online selling.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have quite a bit of removed negative feedback.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I think we may be looking at someone who got TRS status despite themselves, not because of any sort of talent or aptitude for online selling.

Interesting.......the U.S. seller is TRS on .ca but not on .com.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

HI everyone,

Thanks so much for all your responses. Totally appreciate it. Even though it was only 12.92 USD for shipping the whole process stressed me out. The Seller sent me awful messages and on the refund for the 5.50 she wrote. It was really bizarre. Especially, since this was before I had even emailed her or knew anything. 

Anyway, I ended up calling Paypal and they reversed the shipping costs for me as the seller didn't. The payment was going to Pitney bowes. The seller also sent me a thing to cancel the item purchase but ebay warned me not to say yes to the cancellation until I get my money back. So that is when I called Paypal. 

What is so weird is that this seller was on ebay.ca ... so why would she say she doesn't email to canada is beyond me. And then verbally attacks me. She should have put an exclusion to show that she does not ship to Canada. 

Now I want to leave proper feedback for this awful experience. Does anyone know what I should say? I want to warn buyers. She was really a piece of work. She shouldn't be on ebay. 

Thanks!! 🙂

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

As I suggested earlier, the seller wouldn't have been able to reverse a payment she never received in the first place.  Having said that, she really should have been working with you to resolve this problem rather than you having to contact eBay and PayPal about this.  After all, she listed the item with the Global Shipping Program; whether this was a deliberate choice or an accident is anyone's guess, really.

Perhaps feedback should run along the lines of:

Seller unaware that GSP to Canada was offered? Difficult to get full refund.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Incidentally, a couple of the seller's more recent listings state that she (and her family, I guess) have been "eviccted" and have to move soon.  That may be contributing to her stress levels. 

I wonder why she's been "eviccted" though?  Man Frustrated

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

She is mentally unstable. She sent me some really strange emails. But I got my money back and that is all I care about now. Makes me a little nervous about using ebay. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@totorolover5 wrote:

She is mentally unstable. She sent me some really strange emails. But I got my money back and that is all I care about now. Makes me a little nervous about using ebay. 

Just choose your sellers a bit more carefully.  You didn't think this line from the listing description was a tip off?  Smiley Wink

LENGTH : 26" LOOKS KINDA LIEK AFREE PEOPLE DESIGN BUT NOT FROM THEM SELF ESTEEM

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I want my my money back PITNEYBOWES 😞
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Go to Customer Support and file with the Resolution Centre.

Since you give no information, none of the other members here can give you any advice.

Customer Support is up in the top right hand corner. It's a dropdown menu.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 19 of 19
latest reply