How does Best Match search prioritize?

Does anybody know how the best match search results are tabulated.  For kicks and giggles I did a search for my own coin to see where it would come up on Best Match results.  I typed in the following:   "Canada 1909 1 Penny"  

I was surprised to see that it was the 2nd item in the best match list........right behind another 1909 cent with no "penny" in the title or description.   Why did eBay put it first above mine?  I'm not overly concerned, I just would like to understand the search engine so that I can mould my titles and descriptions.   Is it based on the famous Cassani model? or is it solely a word search engine? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: How does Best Match search prioritize?

Hi - This question has been theorized and surmised ad infinitum on these boards, and I think the consensus is that nobody really knows for sure, eBay will never give out specifics (for obvious reasons), and there is no "magic bullet" aside from following eBay policies and remaining observant. 

You might want to read through the following thread (I would read all posts, to get a better idea of the opinion spectrum on this issue.  Many sellers [including myself] felt the Ecommerce Bytes article was biased and rather self-serving):

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/An-eBay-Seller-s-Guide-to-Cassini-Search/td-p/185929

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Part of best match is the way you search on your computer. ebay remembers that. Results are tailored to your style.

How many different answers are there to "Why did the chicken cross the road?".
Photobucket
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Cassini has changed  what the search result shows....

Cassini remembers with each new search..  putting a second search immediately after  a search will create a mess.

Start each new search by clicking on the ebay logo in ....red blue yellow green.... at the top left corner of a page....  and the search will start new

Effectively starting at the beginning with all listings in all categories being searched....

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you so much for this info Cumos55. I have been puzzled why when I do a search it comes up with totally unrelated items in the list but while unrelated to the most recent search, includes items that I have previously searched. Now I know why.

Less confused but still puzzled by Cassini and search

Lynne

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

only one to get to the other side LOL

Message 6 of 6
latest reply