How to compete with sellers on Ebay?

xguardian123
Community Member

Hi everyone, I have been trying to compete with sellers on Ebay. For example; a book that costs $10 in the store is sold for $1.30 on Ebay. How am I supposed to compete with that if I am losing money? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scifan57
Community Member
You'll have to find something you can sell at a profit.The seller with the very cheap books may have found a free or very inexpensive source.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

scifan57
Community Member
You'll have to find something you can sell at a profit.The seller with the very cheap books may have found a free or very inexpensive source.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I can offer some advice on one type of item you're selling. As you'll be able to tell by looking at my store, I sell DVDs, which you are attempting to do as well. I can tell you right now that you'll NEVER compete if you ship using Canada Post Regular Parcel. DVDs can be sent using Canada Posts Oversized Lettermail and packages weighing .100 grams or less can be sent using a $1.29 stamp and then $2.10 if .101 grams to .200 grams. The max dimensions of any Oversized lettermail are: LENGTH= 38cm, WIDTH= 27cm & HEIGHT= 2 cm. Bubble envelopes fit the bill for sending these.Try to find the cheapest possible and avoid buying ANY mailing products from Canada Post like the plague!!

Another thing to consider.....in your ad for "I'Robot" you state the term "great deal!" but look at what is selling on Ebay right now....there are at least 25 other copies of that movie selling for less that your combined price (starting price + shipping)....just some food for thought.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Buy low, sell high.

My books sell well at $10 and up. But I pay $1 or less for them at thrifts, garage sales, FOL shops, etc.

Don't sell what everyone else is.

If a book is a bestseller, or is still on store shelves, don't try to sell it here.Anyne who wants it can find it easily. Find a niche (mine is vintage science fiction) and you will have more demand than there is supply.

Keep your shipping as low as possible.

Like DVDs most paperbacks and many hardcovers can be shipped Letter or LightPacket. The largest dimensions are 2cm thickness and 500 grams for these cheap reliable Air Mail services. Don't worry about the occasional report of non-delivery. Just refund and add the scammer to your Blocked Bidder List. The item didn't cost you enough to break the 17 cent rule.*

*The minimum wage in Ontario is 17 cents a minute. How much time is it really worth spending on the problem at that rate?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

In addition, while I believe that media items like DVDs and books are best sold on long term listings as Fixed Price/Good Til Cancelled, you have a good opportunity to learn how to sell while the Free Auctions are available.

Don't worry too much about number of sales. Only about one third to 40% of listings ends in sales, and many of those are sold by experienced sellers with regular customers.As your feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings build, you will gain credibility.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply